The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Cheetah C
PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 22:39 

I am working on a new version of the Cheetah C for fs2004 and FSX, including a new vc with 3d gauges.

It will again feature multiple loads as well as a recon pod.

I hope to have it done by the end of August

Post subject: Re: Cheetah C
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 09:27 

For take-off and landing, Recce Pod nose is rotated so the window is ?? above hoizontal (no idea which side) to reduce FOD risk.

Just some useless information to make your modelling more difficult!

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 19:20 

Thanks for the info.

The animation of the recon pod nose is fairly easy. I have another problem, the SAAF used the Vicon 18 Series 601E reconnaissance pod on the Cheetah, I have come across photos of the 300 and 400 series, but I cannot find a proper photo or sketch of the 601E to model that accurately!

But yes, FS modelling can be challenging at times!

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 07:38 

Nice work, Thinus! It is amazing that you keep on improving on you r models. :smt023

Thanks Thinus, doing a great job!

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 09:37 

Thinus wrote:
I have another problem, the SAAF used the Vicon 18 Series 601E reconnaissance pod on the Cheetah, I have come across photos of the 300 and 400 series, but I cannot find a proper photo or sketch of the 601E to model that accurately!
I had a couple of Vinten documents, but handed them in about 9 years ago. Sorry about that. My vague memory is that the SAAF recce pod looked shorter than it does in your pictures, but that could be age playing tricks with memory.

The SAAF Vinten pods had the main camera in the nose, which rotated on command from avionics - that camera would look through the nose window you have in your design. They also had a panoramic camera which scanned from side to side (horizon to horizon) so there must have been a window running circumferentially around the bottom half of the pod. I have no idea where it was on the pod, though.

I guess it was about halfway back so nose section was main camera plus film, rear section was panoramic camera plus film. Just add another window to your model - the moment you add it, someone is sure to produce a photo to prove you got it wrong!

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 10:32 

The SAAF's Vinten 601E pods are still being used on the Hawks, so you might have some luck looking through pics of Hawks.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 12:56 
Site Admin

CheetahSupporter wrote:
Just add another window to your model - the moment you add it, someone is sure to produce a photo to prove you got it wrong!

Or you could just look on this very website: :wink: http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforc ... on-18-601e

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 18:01 

Thanks Dean - got it!!

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 11:41 

Dean wrote:
CheetahSupporter wrote:
Just add another window to your model - the moment you add it, someone is sure to produce a photo to prove you got it wrong!

Or you could just look on this very website: :wink: http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforc ... on-18-601e
I thought about that.

Then I thought "No, surely that's the first place anyone would look for information. And if Thinus has already looked, looking on SAAIRFORCE again would be a waste of time." My apologies for doubting you, Dean.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 12:56 

The Recce pod's nose will be turned upwards(camera facing the body) when not in use. It will be pretty cool if you can activate the pod during flight, where the nose then turns to simulate a photo run.

PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 14:48 

Ok, I think this debate can end here. Dean's website is the most reliable source for SAAF aircraft, thanks Dean!

I have seen the photo on this website. and I am using it as a reference. I also have another source, which I have made available to Dean.

Yes the recon pod's nose is turned upwards(camera facing the body), and not sideways when not in use. The nose is animated as well as the body camera, and is activated from the 2d cockpit as well as the VC. I have also designed new gauges that will actually take you to a top down view (see what the camera see) from where you will be able to take screenshots of the scenery below the aircraft.

PostPosted: 26 May 2012, 17:15 
Site Admin

Sounds fantatic Thinus. \:D/

Thinus had also provided me with a document, so you better believe me when I say this is going to be as real as it gets. =D>

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 12:47 

Jeesh - then I can't wait for this one. Maybe the Alphasim Gripen will get grounded for a few days here at rynopot's PC...

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 10:42 

Thinus wrote:
I have also designed new gauges that will actually take you to a top down view (see what the camera see) from where you will be able to take screenshots of the scenery below the aircraft.

Thinus, this will be a great feature!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 22:49 

Progress with the CheetahC Camera pod and internal gauges.

I have made the camera views part of a popup in the 2d panel (the camera views cannot work in fsx vc, this is a fsx shortfall)

The camera can by way of switches zoom, change the angle of the camera (pitch) and you can change the direction (heading) of the camera, it will even be possible to see behind the aircraft. It will also be possible to assign a switch to your joystick to open the top down view in full screen to take screenshots.

I have a few things in the vc and airfile to finish, a beta will be send to testers soon.

HSI

Moving Map

0x Zoom

5x zoom

10x zoom

18x zoom