The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 18 May 2023, 08:43 

80th Commemoration of the Dambusters Raid

16 May 2023 was the 80th Commemoration of this audacious RAF raid into the Ruhr valley, to destroy water reservoirs supplying the heavy industries of wartime Germany, in May 1943. Operation Chastise refers.
Maintained by the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) the Avro Lancaster did a fly-past over much of 'bomber county' Lincolnshire. Gatherings of people came together along the route, former RAF bases, the Bomber Command museum and memorial near Lincoln, to honour the bravery and sacrifice.
My picture was taken at the location of former RAF Metheringham, Lincolnshire, Tuesday 16 May at 20:15 local. Fading light, and rain followed 5 minutes later ...

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 08:50 

Farewell Warhorse!

The RAF is to retire its fleet of 14 C-130J 'Hercules' aircraft, at the end of the month. This decision has unleashed much controversy, but the hierarchy and the powers-that-be are resolute in saying the Airbus A-400M 'Atlas' is mission tested and more capable as a replacement. The RAF ordered 22 A-400M's and all 22 have been delivered.
A farewell flypast took place yesterday 14 June, covering territory and airbases over all four nations of the UK. My pictures show the flypast at RAF Waddington at 14.35 local. The flight of three RAF Hercules overflew the runway at 250ft AGL, at 200 knots, and away into the afternoon sun ...

The view from the overflow parking area towards the already full designated viewing area. Left centre the eastern perimeter of the airbase is just visible.

Approaching RAF Waddington

Leading is 'sticker tail' denoting 56 years of RAF service

Into the afternoon sun. In the foreground is Crash gate No 2 on the A15 main road.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 09:02 
Site Admin

Nice, also appreciate the pics of the location. :smt023

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2023, 16:58 

RAF Families Day at Waddington Air Base on Saturday 8 July.

Weather permitting - The Red Arrows, the BBMF and by invitation the Saudi Falcons Aerobatic Team (Royal Saudi Air Force) with their Hawk 65A's will display over the base. The Saudi Falcons are arriving tomorrow, accompanied by a C-130, having stopped over in Crete last night (2 July) and either Italy or France tonight (3 July).

I hope to catch them on arrival at Waddington ... :smt023

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2023, 06:43 

Achtung Messerschmitt!

In order to keep things together, and seeing as it occurred at RAF Coningsby and relevant to the RAF, I show the following picture:-

For the first time in British skies, a replica of the legendary WW2 German Messerschmitt Me-262 is paying a goodwill visit to the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) at Coningsby. The Me-262 only flew operationally towards the end of WW2, mostly in southern Germany, but for all of the aviation community in England, the visit is attracting much attention.
I thought to present this picture in black & white so as to stay with a 'wartime' theme.

Achtung Messerschmitt!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2023, 07:34 

It was an almost surreal feeling watching a Messerschmitt Me-262 landing, and staying, at an RAF base - even if only a replica. This is a big deal! Various pictures of the Air to Air sessions have appeared on the RAF Coningsby Spotters Facebook page - with Spitfires and Mustangs flying with it.

Just landed and taxiing to the BBMF hangar

Parked near the BBMF hangar

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2023, 06:22 

The Me-262 was due to depart from RAF Coningsby yesterday (19 July) but low cloud and rain showers put paid to it. The pilot was also keen to fly under VFR, so that was it. I was on site at 08:30 and saw the refuelling of the Me-262, watched closely by the pilot himself, but as the morning rolled on, so did the low cloud and rain. I left at 12:15 as the canopy cover was put on - somewhat belatedly because a heavy downpour had already passed through!

Two picture, one with the plane being refuelled and the other with the canopy cover in place. Sunny weather today for a departure, but I cannot make it - alas! :)

Me-262 at RAF Coningsby being refuelled

Me-262 at RAF Coningsby - in the rain.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2023, 07:56 

In Good company

The Me-262 departed RAF Coningsby yesterday (Thu 20 July) soon after 09:00 local, in clear weather.

My picture is from Wednesday 19 July, which I've named In Good Company, as the Me-262 stands on the flightline with RAF Typhoons around it. As circumstance would have it, its immediate neighbour is no less than the RAF display Typhoon 'Blackjack' in all its red, white and blue colours! :D
I mean, when ever again will we see a Me-262, in old style Luftwaffe markings, next to a state-of-the-art RAF fighter?! From the cradle of jet fighters to a RAF Typhoon FGR.Mk4 - what a sight. The air base was busy with Typhoons coming and going all the time, an enjoyable few hours on the fenceline.

Auf Wiedersehen Herr Krähenbühl (Airbus Chief Test Pilot) and pilot of the Me-262.

In good company

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2023, 08:53 
Site Admin

That's a great photo =D>