The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 12 May 2024, 19:00

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 20:56 

Sorry guys and girls but the best fighter jock movie of all time has to be: THE RIGHT STUFF! Especially enjoy the widowmaker flight near the end...

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 07:22 
Site Admin

Ben f1 wrote:
Sorry guys and girls but the best fighter jock movie of all time has to be: THE RIGHT STUFF!

:smt023 =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 12:34 

Came across this snippet of news via the link below. So now all you fans of this actor can dream on again .... :D :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46630101/ns ... 1WfKHJWrbk

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 14:35 

Tally-ho wrote:
So now all you fans of this actor can dream on again

Both of them?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 09:09 

...."We have had only one fighter jet shot down by an enemy fighter jet in the last 40 years," said one expert interviewed by Foreign Policy. "We simply don't need to spend over a trillion on a new fighter at this point.".....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46630101/ns ... 1WfKHJWrbk

Tjo ! biggest lie i have ever heard on this forum.

Michael Scott Speicher a United States F/A-18 Hornet Navy pilot born on July 12 1957 was shot down 100 miles west of Baghdad during the Gulf War on the night of January 17, 1991, the first night of Operation Desert Storm. His plane crashed in a remote, uninhabited wasteland known as Tulul ad Dulaym 33°14′35.81″N 42°21′18.14″E / 33.2432806°N 42.3550389°E / 33.2432806; 42.3550389. He was the first combat casualty for American forces in the war.

However, an unclassified summary of a 2001 CIA report suggests that Speicher's aircraft was shot down by a missile fired from an Iraqi aircraft, most likely a MiG-25; flown by Lt. Zuhair Dawood, 84th squadron of the IQAF. Speicher was at 28,000 feet and traveling at 0.92 Mach (540 Knots) when the front of the aircraft suffered a catastrophic event. The impact from the R-40 missile threw the aircraft laterally off its flight path between fifty and sixty degrees with a resulting 6 g minimum load. A pilot on the same mission stated: "I'm telling you right now, don't believe what you're being told. It was that MiG that shot Spike down."

The day after the shoot-down, Speicher was placed on MIA status. On May 22, 1991, after the end of the Gulf War, Speicher's status was changed to Killed in Action/Body Not Recovered (KIA/BNR).

In December 1993, a military official from Qatar discovered the wreckage of a plane in the desert, which was subsequently identified as Speicher's aircraft.The canopy was a good distance from the rest of the aircraft, suggesting Speicher had tried to eject.

In April 1994, a U.S. satellite photographed apparent human-made symbols on the desert floor near the wreck's location, which might possibly be Speicher's E & E (Escape and Evade) sign, suggesting that Speicher might have survived the crash.

In December 1995, working through the International Committee of the Red Cross, investigators from the Navy and Army's Central Identification Laboratory went to Iraq and conducted an excavation of the crash site.

In September 1996, the Secretary of the Navy in a new review reaffirmed the presumptive finding of death. Speicher was given a tomb at Arlington National Cemetery

In 1997, a Defense Department document leaked to The New York Times showed that the Pentagon had not been forthcoming with information previously requested by U.S. Senator Rod Grams. Senator Grams publicly accused the Pentagon of misleading him, and joined with Senator Robert C. Smith in calling for an investigation by the Senate Intelligence Committee

In January 2001, the Secretary of the Navy changed Speicher's status to "missing in action."This was the first time the Defense Department had ever made such a change In conjunction with the change in classification, Speicher was promoted to commander

In July 2002, Speicher was further promoted to captain.

September 12, 2002, President George W. Bush mentioned Speicher in a speech to the United Nations General Assembly as part of his case for war against Iraq.

October 11, 2002, one day after the United States Congress authorized the use of military force in Iraq. Then-U.S. Secretary of the Navy Gordon England said, "While the information available to me now does not prove definitively that Capt. Speicher is alive and in Iraqi custody, I am personally convinced the Iraqis seized him sometime after his plane went down. Further, it is my firm belief that the government of Iraq knows what happened to Capt. Speicher.

March 2003, a major investigation on the ground began, that also further increased public attention to the matter

April 2003, Speicher's possible initials were discovered in a cell at Hakmiyah prison in Baghdad Subsequent tests on hair found in the cell's drain did not match Speicher's DNA.

January 5, 2009, the U.S. Navy held a review board to consider officially closing the case

March 10, 2009, the Secretary of the Navy declared that Captain Speicher's status was changed from "Missing/Captured" back to "Missing-in-Action."

August 2, 2009, the Navy reported that Speicher's remains were found in Iraq by United States Marines from 3rd Battalion 3rd Marines belonging to Multi National Force-West's Task Force Military Police. His jawbone was used to identify him after study at the Charles C. Carson Center for Mortuary Affairs at Dover Air Force Base. According to local civilians, Speicher was buried by Bedouins after his plane was shot down. The evidence proved that Speicher did not survive the crash. Senator Nelson attributed the delayed finding to the culture of the locality: "These Bedouins roam around in the desert, they don't stay in one place, and it just took this time to find the specific site."

August 13, 2009, the remains of Captain Michael Scott Speicher arrived in Florida 18 years after having been shot down in the Persian Gulf War. The plane containing his remains touched down at Jacksonville Naval Air Station at 3 p.m.

September 7, 2009, Captain Speicher was honored at the start of the Florida State University football game against the University of Miami at Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium when a flight of F/A-18s performed the missing man formation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZJqaUTSmkE

Mod: This post has been edited to delete a personal attack.
I'm also not sure what this has to do with jets in movies?

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 18:25 

A must see only because of one scene
Hulk vs F 35 lightning (and the Ejector seat)

http://tinyurl.com/bvv9kdj

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 16:29 

Sky Fighters is still in my possession - got it after I saw it. Great movie.

Glad someone remembered Iron Eagle - I liked it more than Top Gun because of the F-16.

And then of course - the Right Stuff. I have to check my old blank videos - I remember recording it once...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2012, 20:51 

The Right Stuff is the best.

And then another good movie is The Flight of the Intruder, it’s about an A-6 Pilot in the Vietnam war that lost his Navigator and get a "better" replacement. Quote from the movie, “Fighter pilots makes movies, Bombers pilots makes History".

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2012, 22:12 

Swart Baard wrote:

Everyone has seen the movie - or owns the DVD - but how many of you, hands up, have read Tom Wolfe's book?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 08:53 
Site Admin

Eugene wrote:
Swart Baard wrote:

Everyone has seen the movie - or owns the DVD - but how many of you, hands up, have read Tom Wolfe's book?

:smt006

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 11:28 

Dean wrote:
Eugene wrote:
Swart Baard wrote:

:smt006

My favourite bit:

The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe wrote:
The three of them - even in the midst of this bad string! -would love to get on a subject such as accident-prone Mitch Johnson. Accident- prone Mitch Johnson, it seemed, was a Navy pilot whose life was in the hands of two angels, one of them bad and the other one good. The bad angel would put him into accidents that would have annihilated any ordinary pilot, and the good angel would bring him out of them without a scratch. Just the other day - this was the sort of story Jane would hear them tell - Mitch Johnson was coming in to land on a carrier. But he came in short, missed the flight deck, and crashed into the fantail, below the deck. There was a tremendous explosion, and the rear half of the plane fell into the water in flames. Everyone on the flight deck said, "Poor Johnson. The good angel was off duty." They were still debating how to remove the debris and his mortal remains when a phone rang on the bridge. A somewhat dopey voice said, "This is Johnson. Say, listen, I'm down here in the supply hold and the hatch is locked and I can't find the lights and I can't see a goddamned thing and I tripped over a cable and I think I hurt my leg." The officer on the bridge slammed the phone down, then vowed to find out what morbid son of a bitch could pull a phone prank at a time like this. Then the phone rang again, and the man with the dopey voice managed to establish the fact that he was, indeed, Mitch Johnson. The good angel had not left his side. When he smashed into the fantail, he hit some empty ammunition drums, and they cushioned the impact, leaving him groggy but not seriously hurt. The fuselage had blown to pieces; so he just stepped out onto the fantail and opened a hatch that led into the supply hold. It was pitch black in there, and there were cables all across the floor, holding down spare aircraft engines. Accident-prone Mitch Johnson kept tripping over these cables until he found a telephone. Sure enough, the one injury he had was a bruised shin from tripping over a cable. The man was accident-prone! Pete and Wally and Jim absolutely cracked up over stories like this.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 15:41 

Right Stuff, Iron Eagle and to be quite honest I really enjoyed Top Gun. Not the acting, which was crappy.

The most recent IMO very good fighter movie, although no jet engines, was Flyboys.

Love it.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 16:01 

Red Tails

all black cast , black director , black screenwriter , black procducer

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 16:21 

Quote:
all black cast

So which role does Richie McCaw and Sonny Bill play?

:lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 18:07 

If Iron Eagle is what I think it is, it's an absolutely dreadful "movie" with Lou Gossett Jr and a bunch of kids who play at being fighter pilots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next