THE AIRFORCE - SQUADRONS
10 Squadron"Vigilanus" (We are vigilant)
Established with effect from 1st April 1939 as No. 10 Bomber Fighter Squadron at East London under Eastern Province Command as part of the Active Citizen Force. Redesignated No. 10 (B.F.) Squadron with effect from 1st September 1939 after the style of naming SAAF squadrons was changed. Redesignated No. 16 (B) Squadron with effect from 1st Desember 1939 and re-allotted to the Witwatersrand Command. The designation No. 10 (F) Squadron was kept in reserve to allow for possible expansion in this type of Squadron.
Re-established as No. 10 Fighter Squadron in February 1942 for home defence purposes. The Squadron was located in the Durban area, equipped with Furies and allocated to Coastal Defence. The Squadron was formed forthwith of 30th March 1942 on a shadow basis, initially at the M.A.F. Depot. As there were a strong possibility of a Japanese carrier force attempting to disrupt shipping in S.A. waters, No. 6 and 10 fighter squadrons were re-equipped with Mohawks and reorganised on a mobile basis based at the coast. The Squadron was re-equipped with Kittyhawks but shortly afterwards on 28th July 1943, No. 10 Squadron was disbanded to form "B" Flight, No. 11 O.T.U.
No. 10 Squadron was re-established by redesignating "B" Flight, 11 O.T.U. at Isipingo. The Squadron was relocated to the Middel East, and reformed on 25th May 1944 at Almaza as a fighter Squadron. Shortly afterwards they were moved to Minnick, Syria, were the pilots were converted onto the Spitfire Mk. V. At the end of June 1944 the Squadron was moved to Idku were it took over the duties of 336 (Hellenic) Squadron under No. 219 Group, RAF. The Squadron was mainly deployed in convoy escort and patrols at this stage. In August 1944 the Squadron re-equipped with Spitfire Mk. IX and was relocated to Savoia in September for operations over Crete and the Aegean. The Squadron also undertook ASR duties in the Eastern Mediterranean. No. 10 Squadron was disbanded 31st October 1944 (other sources state 10th November 1944).
Re-established in January 1986 at AFB Potchefstroom with the Kentron Seeker RPV in order to provide reconnaissance and artillery weapons delivery guidance. The squadron was to ordered to cease flying in November 1990 and may have been disband by 31st March 1991. After 10 Squadron was disbanded, the Seeker system was operated by Kentron on behalf of the SANDF. Two models were utilized, the Seeker-P model is used for training purposes and the Seeker-D is deployed operationally.
(Thanks to Stephan Botha for the history)
Other Squadrons based at N/A:
1 Squadron, 103 Squadron, 109 Squadron, 11 Squadron, 112 Commando Squadron / 1 SWA Squadron, 114 Commando Squadron, 12 Squadron, 120 Squadron, 24 Squadron, 25 Squadron, 26 Squadron, 27 Squadron, 3 Squadron, 30 Squadron, 31 Squadron, 4 Squadron, 40 Squadron, 42 Squadron, 5 Squadron, 6 Squadron, 7 Squadron, 8 Squadron, 86 Multi-Engine Flying School, 88 Maritime Operational Training School, 89 Combat Flying School
Other Disbanded Squadrons:
1 Squadron, 103 Squadron, 109 Squadron, 11 Squadron, 112 Commando Squadron / 1 SWA Squadron, 114 Commando Squadron, 12 Squadron, 120 Squadron, 24 Squadron, 25 Squadron, 26 Squadron, 27 Squadron, 3 Squadron, 30 Squadron, 31 Squadron, 4 Air Servicing Unit, 4 Squadron, 40 Squadron, 42 Squadron, 5 Squadron, 6 Squadron, 7 Air Servicing Unit, 7 Squadron, 8 Squadron, 86 Multi-Engine Flying School, 88 Maritime Operational Training School, 89 Combat Flying School