THE AIRFORCE - SQUADRONS
Mobile Communications Unit
The aim of Mobile Communications Unit (MCU) is to provide operationally deployable communications for SAAF force employment and force preparation, thereby offering a C2 Communication Capability to the SAAF.
MCU was part of the SAAF Telecommunications Centre (SAAFTC) at AFB Waterkloof. Because of the ever-growing demand for mobile communications in the SAAF, MCU was founded as a unit in 1990, situated at Snake Valley. During 1999, however it became a unit of the Mobile Deployment Wing.
The following single and multiple channel Command and Control communications are provided by MCU:
- Temporary Air Base (TAB) deployments;
- Tactical Mobile Radar (TMR) and other radar deployments and camps;
- Temporary Air Force Command post (TAFCP), Mobile Sector Control Centre (MSCC), Control and Reporting Post (CRP) and Reporting Post (RP);
- Standby for static communications services;
- Helicopter Administration Area (HAA);
- Mobile Ground Signal Intelligence System (MGSS);
- Remote Piloted Vehicle (RPV);
- SAAF College, Command and Control School;
- Air Force Gymnasium training;
- Air Defence Artillery (ADA) and Electronic Warfare (EW) force preparation and flying squadron training;
- Joint Operations (J OPS) with military (SADC, United Nations) and external parties (SAPS, World Food Programme).
It also provides secure in-flight and ground command and control communications in the following applications:
- Conventional, jumping and air transportable Mobile Air Operations Teams (MAOT);
- Humanitarian aid operations;
- Crime prevention operations in support of the SAPS.
Various ways and means of communication are provided, from satellite phones and two-way radio's to digital microwave links. The Microwave links can also handle data communication for computers.
Other Squadrons based at Air Force Mobile Deployment Wing:
140 Squadron, 142 Squadron, 18 Deployment Support Unit, 4 Air Servicing Unit, 500 Squadron, 501 Squadron, 92 Tactical Airfield Unit
Other Current Squadrons:
1 Air Servicing Unit, 10 Air Depot, 101 Squadron, 102 Squadron, 104 Squadron, 105 Squadron, 106 Squadron, 107 Squadron, 108 Squadron, 110 Squadron, 111 Squadron, 140 Squadron, 142 Squadron, 15 Squadron, 15 Squadron - 'C' Flight, 16 Squadron, 17 Squadron, 18 Deployment Support Unit, 19 Squadron, 2 Air Servicing Unit, 2 Squadron, 21 Squadron, 22 Squadron, 28 Squadron, 3 Air Servicing Unit, 35 Squadron, 41 Squadron, 44 Squadron, 5 Air Servicing Unit, 500 Squadron, 501 Squadron, 502 Squadron, 503 Squadron, 504 Squadron, 505 Squadron, 506 Squadron, 508 Squadron, 514 Squadron, 515 Squadron, 525 Squadron, 526 Squadron, 6 Air Servicing Unit, 60 Squadron, 68 Air School, 80 Air Navigation School, 85 Combat Flying School, 87 Helicopter Flying School, 92 Tactical Airfield Unit, Air Force Command and Control School, Air Force Gymnasium, Air Publications Service Centre, Airspace Control Unit, Bushveld Airspace Control Sector, Central Flying School, Central Photographic Institute, Combined Auction Centre, Command and Control School, Electronic Warfare Centre, Ellisras Reporting Post, Fire Training School, Joint Air Reconnaissance Intelligence Centre, Lowveld Airspace Control Sector, Rapid Deployment Air Operations Team 43, Rapid Deployment Air Operations Team 46, SA Air Force College, SAAF Band, SAAF Museum Historic Flight, SAAF Police, SAAF Telecommunications Centre, School of Cookery, Test Flight and Development Centre