The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 00:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Gripen External Tanks
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 11:07 

After the really informative thread on the Mirage III tanks, I started thinking about the Mirage F1 custom tanks, where we changed them to hang four bombs on the bottom (obviously!).

What I noticed about the Gripen tanks is that they are designed wider, to accommodate more fuel obviously.

does anyone know if TFDC will be looking at doing the same thing with the Gripen tanks? Gripen has a much better power to weight ratio; the weight shouldn't be a factor. Those tanks take 3000 liters, so I think that we can easily modify them to also take 4 bombs, while still retaining a useful amount of capacity for fuel.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 19:34 

Why bother? The Gripen does not have a shortage of hardpoints or payload capacity

Poster showing all the items a Gripen can carry
And where they fit

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 06:05 

One 27mm gun?
Hmmm.

A lot of the weapons displayed in the drawing (I speak under correction here) the SAAF does not have in stock.

It would be interesting to see if the fuel tanks would developed further to carry bombs?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 07:02 

AT6C wrote:
One 27mm gun?
Hmmm.
A lot of the weapons displayed in the drawing (I speak under correction here) the SAAF does not have in stock.
It would be interesting to see if the fuel tanks would developed further to carry bombs?

We have the tanks...

@ Roger: We can bother because the tank takes the place of two bombs. A very nice graphic you have there, but the jet can not carry ALL of them at once. As per various pictures online, you can see the tanks are gigantic. Considering we do not have air to air refuelling capability at the moment, the tank/bomb combo seems to be a very functional item.

EDIT: So: if we can put the 2 bombs on half a tank, we have the best of both worlds. I did read the F1 pilots didn't like the load out, as it made the jet sluggish in the air.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 07:14 

The 14 bomb layout on the F1:

gregair wrote:
Heres how you you get 14 bombs and 2 AAMs on a F1AZ :smt023

http://www.saairforce.co.za/seed/public ... _large.jpg

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2017, 08:47 

How to get eight bombs on a Gripen, with a fuel tank on the centreline.
What are the weight limits of the underwing and centreline hardpionts?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2017, 16:28 

Hi Rynopot

rynopot wrote:
I started thinking about the Mirage F1 custom tanks, where we changed them to hang four bombs on the bottom (obviously!).

The F1 bomb racks did not carry fuel.

Joker

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 07:04 

Wow , ok, thanks Joker.

Wonder why whoever went for that weird design then? Looks like they started with a fuel tank. And the centerline rack looked like that Gripen one. It must have been an aerodynamic monster...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 08:58 

Hi Rynopot

Joker wrote:
Looks like they started with a fuel tank. And the centerline rack looked like that Gripen one. It must have been an aerodynamic monster...

The bomb rack in question is a CLB-30 and is not a South African design. It was developed by the French but not widely adopted. The Mirage 2000 prototype flew with it for a time but it was not put in service. The Mir F1 AZ prototype in France also was fitted with this rack. Aerodynamically is is quite efficient since the ejection units are enclosed, unlike the American MER and TER units which must have had a lot of drag. BTW I don't think it matters much to them since their aircraft always have enough excess thrust and fuel.

Joker

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 14:04 

Thanks for the informative reply!

I wonder if it would be physically possible to combine a fuel tank with a bomb rack in the way I thought it was designed.

Even for the sake of wiring / just making it work, to just make space to house one bomb. In Gripen's case it seems like you can "cut out" a third of the fuel volume and replace it with space for one bomb. And I suppose it would be more efficient to make that a laser guided bomb, so it's something that won't miss.

:idea: