The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 08:04

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 21:08 

A new uniform display hall was completed at the Ysterplaat Museum this week.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 21:14 
Site Admin

=D> =D> =D>

For those wondering, the hall previously housed the Korean War display, a smaller version of which is now at the head of the main hall (in front of the stage).

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 22:06 

Dean wrote:
=D> =D> =D>

For those wondering, the hall previously housed the Korean War display, a smaller version of which is now at the head of the main hall (in front of the stage).

The new Korean War display of which Dean speaks.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 11:57 

Popped in at the museum for the first time in a decade with last Schackleton engine run... very much impressed with new displays and graphics... world class!
Cudos to Major King and his team! :smt023

ps. Fully realising the revamp being a work in progress would like to point out that the museum should maybe just check the placard on the Mirage engine in the aircraft hanger directy attached to the museum- nomenclatured as being an ATAR 09K-50 but clearly sporting clamshell ("eyelid"?) type oulet - making it a ATAR 09B (as used in IIICZ and IIIBZ) if I'm not mistaken....?? Apologies if stating something known to the team (or if I'm wrong #-o )

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 12:37 

Starting to think there should be one SAAF museum..based in Cape Town Only.your displays are looking world class allot better than the one up here..lets hope the current state of the SAAF does not lead to one museum in the future.Well done to all.

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 15:02 

Airfire wrote:
Starting to think there should be one SAAF museum..based in Cape Town Only.your displays are looking world class allot better than the one up here..lets hope the current state of the SAAF does not lead to one museum in the future.Well done to all.

What about the one in PE - is that officially SAAF ?

I agree on Swartkop - since the start of the civil works several years back the place has been a mess - dust and mud everywhere. Very unfortunate as there are lots of great aircraft there.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 16:06 

Plane crazy wrote:
ps. Fully realising the revamp being a work in progress would like to point out that the museum should maybe just check the placard on the Mirage engine in the aircraft hanger directy attached to the museum- nomenclatured as being an ATAR 09K-50 but clearly sporting clamshell ("eyelid"?) type oulet - making it a ATAR 09B (as used in IIICZ and IIIBZ) if I'm not mistaken....?? Apologies if stating something known to the team (or if I'm wrong #-o )

Yes, thank you it has been brought to our attention before. It's on the to-do list. :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 14:20 

Mistral wrote:
hat about the one in PE - is that officially SAAF ?

I agree on Swartkop - since the start of the civil works several years back the place has been a mess - dust and mud everywhere. Very unfortunate as there are lots of great aircraft there.

Yes the PE museum is part of the SAAFM.

It's not the museum's fault that the place is in a mess,in fact the museum can't wait to open up again to the public!

The DOW is responsible for the civil work on the base.

I hear that the contractor to tar the road,etc., has been appointed and hopefully will commence soon with the work.
Hopefully this will limit the amount of dust that gets blown into the inside of the hangars as it is very frustrating to wipe the aircraft down every day!

BTW, the uniform display at Zwartkop has also been upgraded in the past month or two.
I trust that PE will be next.

Only one person is doing all the uniform display work with extensive research been done to get it right!

Geoff

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 18:13 

AT6C wrote:
Mistral wrote:
hat about the one in PE - is that officially SAAF ?

Yes the PE museum is part of the SAAFM.

It's not the museum's fault that the place is in a mess,in fact the museum can't wait to open up again to the public!

The DOW is responsible for the civil work on the base.

I hear that the contractor to tar the road,etc., has been appointed and hopefully will commence soon with the work.
Hopefully this will limit the amount of dust that gets blown into the inside of the hangars as it is very frustrating to wipe the aircraft down every day!

BTW, the uniform display at Zwartkop has also been upgraded in the past month or two.
I trust that PE will be next.

Only one person is doing all the uniform display work with extensive research been done to get it right!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Wasn't pointing fingers at Museum. Just sad that it takes so long to do the job and the impact on the museum.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 22:53 

A sterling job, display looks fantastic guys.