The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 08:18

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 20:04 

After having built the Mirage IIICZ, I wasn't terribly keen to build another. This kit is a lot of work.

It was the decal sheet that caught me again. Don't get me wrong, it is actually an awful decal sheet with cardboard thick decals, but it goes about the name on the side of the cockpit. Last time it was my 2 Squadron compatriot, Mark Edwards - and this time it was Dudley Trollip. Sold!

The one drawcard to this kit was the reconnaissance version. I was rather keen to tackle the camera's and all that make the RZ unique. My first instructor in the SAAF was a "recce" pilot through and through. By building a model of the RZ I hoped to discover something of his world.

Here are the kit's offerings regarding the camera layout. As you can see they differ from the SAAF version and need a bit of chopping and changing.

The inside of this area is going to need a lot of work to be able to display it open.

Here is the basic outline corrected. It is actually an intricate 3-D shape, faceted like a diamond due to the angles of the various camera ports.

The plan is to show the camera bay open, so it would be nice to get this support to swing downwards as it does on the real thing to reveal the cameras. I saw this solution on a build thread, which for the life of me I can't find again. Anyway, other people also want to get the camera's out there!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 21:29 
Site Admin

Great start, looking forward to following this one. :D

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2017, 22:20 

Oh boy, here we go :D :D \:D/

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 07:43 

Precision engineering once again, awesome. Please do not be offended if I raise a very minor observation that may just be an issue of paralax or exaggerated due to the pic size - you set such high standards so this may catch your eye later. In the pic of the after surgery the square port between the lower 2 square ones and the round one above seems to taper ever so slightly narrower towards the top? Seems to be manufactured that way or have you cut it? Easy to fix now, less so once you are further into the build.

That said, I wish when I did builds my errors were so small :oops:

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 12:47 

Dean, Mars and Bushpig, welcome aboard!

Any comments and assistance are much appreciated Bushpig. You are quite right about that offending "window", and in fact most of them require some squaring up. Italeri's organic moulding you see. :roll:

The one place they should have incorporated some organic moulding is on the support frame for the cameras. You can see the real one has these cool shapes, none of which appear centered.

Here is my interpretation of them.

And here are my "impressionist" cameras which are made of some kit parts, and of course some extra styrene. No precision engineering here.

Information about the cameras is scarce, and I didn't do a thorough job the day Alan Taylor treated Malcolm and me to a rare view inside the nose. I gather they are Omera type 31 cameras, and of course the SAAF ones look somewhat different to the French ones. Here are two magnificent old photo's that Daan Conradie kindly made available.

And here is a great site for detail in the camera bay of a French Mirage: http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWin ... _nez_1.htm

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 18:02 

Awesomeness !!! Another Mirage \:D/

This is going to be good. Are you going for green/buff or blue/grey ?

Do you need detailed pics of camera bay ? The photos I previously posted have gone AWOL due to photophuckit :?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 19:12 

Mistral wrote:
Are you going for green/buff or blue/grey ?

Do you need detailed pics of camera bay ? The photos I previously posted have gone AWOL due to photophuckit :?

Thanks for the offer Malcolm. No need as I did take ample photo's, but we didn't know about lowering the frame to reveal the top of the cameras. As to the colour scheme, not decided yet. Come on, get yours done! As to your last point, I hope Photobucket kicks the proverbial bucket.

Now, the plan I saw for hinging the camera frame doesn't work. The rear camera gets trapped against the bulkhead as soon as it is lowered. The real one hinges on extrusions you can see here at the back of the frame, and a lot lower down than the middle of the bulkhead.

So, I made extensions with hinge tabs that I then centered lower down on the rear bulkhead. This works, unsurprisingly, as it is how it was originally designed!

In the meanwhile I added some of the visible structure above the frame.

The inside of the camera bay cover is a problem child as you have already seen. It needs the glass in place before any detailing can commence, and theses in turn are very uneven mouldings. I had to sand and polish them to get the "glass" flat.

And finally I could build up the internal frames with styrene, after masking all the clear bits of course.

I then made a "harness" of wire and styrene to represent the ducting for the camera de-misting system. This is the fun stuff :D.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 22:17 
Site Admin

Little works of art. :shock: =D>

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 18:31 

It's looking really good. I couldn't see myself doing all that work on mine. Well done =D>