The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 07:23

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kit questions
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 11:18 
Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 14:20
Posts: 4
Location: Gordons Bay
I have recently looked at my stash and figured there are some kits that need new company . :shock:

I am still new on this forum but reading through the threads one gets the just of what works and what not , but in most cases there
are only single options in terms of kits .

for the most part only build 1/48 scale and larger types ( bombers/cargo planes) 1/72.

The planes I would like to build :

1) Mosquito - Airfix or Tamiya ?
2) Mirage F1 CZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
3) Mirage F1 AZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
4) Boston - Italeri or AMT ?
5) Cheetah single seater C or E - Heller or Kinetic ?

some comments would be gladly appreciated


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 15:19 
Offline

Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 14:40
Posts: 820
Hi Foddy 8

As for the Jets.

Mirage F-1

The Italeri kit is still a good option. Its a much older kit with basic cockpit detail. It's simpler than the Kittyhawk kit and does need some rework done. But overall you can still get a decent F-1 out of it.

The Kittyhawk kit is much more complex and has some shape and fit issues. Overall it looks very impressive on the sprues but doesn't exactly replace the Italeri kit.

Both kits need work but with enough effort both will produce good models. The other bonus is that there is a lots of aftermarket products available already.

Cheetah C or E

Forget about the Heller kit, its a bit too much work to try and modify to a Cheetah C/E. I know because I have done it and I think its put me off modelling forever. (just Joking).

Plus we are spoilt with more modern offerings.

Cheetah C

Start with a Kfir base, either the Kinetic kit or Avantgarde will do.

Cheetah E

Use the Kinetic Mirage IIIE/R as a base.

Whilst the Cheetah C looks similar to the Cheetah D/E, there a number of distinct differences. There is actually relatively little in common with the two sub-types, thats why I say its best to get a C from a Kfir and E from a Mirage.

Cheetah D

Soon we will have the Kinetic Mirage IIID, so we should be covered in this regard.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 16:38 
Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 14:20
Posts: 4
Location: Gordons Bay
Thanks for the explanation Mars

I have never delt with resin and conversion kits but would like to give it a go
the models will be for myself and the super high details not so important , well not so that it would override or deter the love of the aircraft

It also looks like everybody is in a retooling and renewing phase and maybe a bit of patience is all that's required
to get to some of the newer kits.
recently got a new tool 1:48 airfix club spitfire Vb and the detail and fit is awesome right up there with the Tamiya mustang.
some of these scarce kits are really pricey on the net if shipping is worked in, but still way cheaper than going fishing on the sea 3-4 times per month .

must say some of the models on this forum is really world class and I would really have to practice on a few cheapies to get the techniques right


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 22:46 
Offline

Joined: 31 Aug 2010, 15:01
Posts: 3642
Location: Centurion, Pretoria, SA
Foddy 8 wrote:

1) Mosquito - Airfix or Tamiya ?
2) Mirage F1 CZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
3) Mirage F1 AZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
4) Boston - Italeri or AMT ?
5) Cheetah single seater C or E - Heller or Kinetic ?

some comments would be gladly appreciated


1) Tamiya all the way for the Mozzie :D
2) and 3) Italeri. Simpler kit to build and way cheaper than the KH one.
4) same kit I believe ? Italeri is a rebox.
5) Cheetah C - use Heller and ScaleWorx resin conversion. Modifying a Kfir is too much hassle. Shorter rear fuselage, different vertical stab with intake. Kfir also has larger canards, C has longer fuselage. Not sure if ScaleWorx have upgraded their C conversion set for the Kinetic Mirage III/5. Same goes for an E


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 13:14 
Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 14:20
Posts: 4
Location: Gordons Bay
Mistral wrote:
Foddy 8 wrote:

1) Mosquito - Airfix or Tamiya ?
2) Mirage F1 CZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
3) Mirage F1 AZ - Italeri or Kitty hawk ?
4) Boston - Italeri or AMT ?
5) Cheetah single seater C or E - Heller or Kinetic ?

some comments would be gladly appreciated


1) Tamiya all the way for the Mozzie :D
2) and 3) Italeri. Simpler kit to build and way cheaper than the KH one.
4) same kit I believe ? Italeri is a rebox.
5) Cheetah C - use Heller and ScaleWorx resin conversion. Modifying a Kfir is too much hassle. Shorter rear fuselage, different vertical stab with intake. Kfir also has larger canards, C has longer fuselage. Not sure if ScaleWorx have upgraded their C conversion set for the Kinetic Mirage III/5. Same goes for an E


Thanks Mistral this helps a lot ,

I am enjoying that Lynx build of yours , for some reason our beloved Airforce model variants have to be almost completely upgraded
nothing is nice and pure straight out the box 8)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 23:17 
Offline

Joined: 31 Aug 2010, 15:01
Posts: 3642
Location: Centurion, Pretoria, SA
Thanks Foddy. I see Scaleworx do have resin conversion for a Cheetah C using the Kinetic Kfir C2/C7 kit :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 07:30 
Online

Joined: 03 Apr 2013, 18:00
Posts: 464
The 1/48 Revell Mosquito can be had at a bargain, but DONT buy it. Might just put you off the hobby.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 12:33 
Offline

Joined: 22 Oct 2005, 05:47
Posts: 225
Hi Guys,

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito also more affordable than the Airfix offering?

Regards,
Stratobat

_________________
'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 14:03 
Offline

Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 14:40
Posts: 820
Foddy 8 wrote:
for some reason our beloved Airforce model variants have to be almost completely upgraded
nothing is nice and pure straight out the box 8)


That's the charm of SAAF subjects, because they are unique it makes them stand out.

To be fair building SAAF subjects has become a lot easier over the last few years. There are lots of goodies available.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Kit questions
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 13:36 
Online

Joined: 03 Apr 2013, 18:00
Posts: 464
Stratobat wrote:
Hi Guys,

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito also more affordable than the Airfix offering?

Regards,
Stratobat



Yes it is R500 vs R580.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group