The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 27 Jul 2017, 22:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:37 

John from Scaleworx asked me if I'd do a test build using his SAAF Mk. 64 Super Lynx 30 resin conversion sets. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. So I received the Airfix base kit, the 48th scale Lynx Mk.88/HMA.8 / Mk.90, and the box with resin goodies in the post yesterday. As per agreement with John, I've got to complete this by end May so I started immediately.

Scaleworx box :

Airfix box showing the brave German gunner firing the wrong way as the dastardly pirates attack the defenceless ship in the background.....Anyway, it's still nice artwork !!

Thanks for the opportunity John :smt023

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:42 

So what do you get in the Scaleworx box ?

Several bags of resin pieces, nicely cast in the typical Scaleworx light blue resin

The resin is soft and easy to work with a sharp craft knife. Surface texture varies from smooth to slightly pebbly. The latter can be sorted out with a quick rub with a sanding stick / pad.

3 pages of instructions are provided : 2 for assembly / location of resin parts and the third for the decal placement :

The Scaleworx instructions are clear and provide a listing of the Airfix kit parts which are not required. Best to scratch these out on the Airfix instruction sheet prior to building, so that you don't waste your time with unnecessary activities.

No pics of the decal sheet as John will still be sending these to me.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:44 

Here's the resin piece for the distinctive cable ducting which runs beneath the fuselage and is not included in the kit.

No big issues removing the resin parts from their casting / pouring blocks. A sharp thin razor saw and sharp knife are all one needs. And some patience. As I said before, the resin is soft and easy to cut.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:51 

Some words about the base kit : I've heard many conflicting reports on how well/badly it fits. All I can say is, based on trial fit, I foresee no issues. The fit of the interior compartment is tight but a bit of fettling / sanding goes a long way. Not a major issue - I suspect many folks who have had fit problems are just rushing through the build. The surface detail is very nice depicting the typical raised riveting seen on many helicopters as well as nicely rendered stiffening plates.

The square recessed section must be filled up for the SAAF Super Lynx

The tail boom in construction. I decided to hollow out the tail boom transition gearbox vents and back these with fine mesh :

Drilling pilot holes (bottom half) :

Hollowed out vents :

Grille replicated using fine mesh - much better :

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:54 

The main undercarriage sons are a separate assembly. Oddly, the legs are not "handed" so the scissor-link faces forward the one side and backwards the other. This confused me for several minutes as I thought that Airfix had got it wrong. Referring to photos shows this to be correct.

The fuselage assembly consists of two forward halves with a separate ventral keel section. The tail boom connects to the assembled forward fuselage. I was worried about the fit of the ventral keel section but looks like the fit is good.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 12:59 

The kit interior is OK OOB. Very fine rudder pedals and cyclic sticks are provided. Collective sticks are also provided. The seats have nice detail with moulded in straps. The sound proofing in the cabin is nicely rendered with sagging in various places to add to the general look. The central console must be removed and replaced with the correct resin piece.

Other resin correction pieces for the cabin are the instrument panel (corrected to replicate the 5 multi-function display units), the combined long distance tank / rear seat and piping (piping not shown in the photo below) and what looks to be a palette for the door gunner's seat. I have not seen any pics of the inside of the SAAF Lynx showing this particular arrangement so would appreciate if someone could post pics.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 13:14 

OK, need some help here. I've searched the web, including Dean's SAAF reference pictures section, and cannot find any photos of the SAAF Super Lynxes with folding rotors or tail boom. I'm sure the rotors can be folded to fit into the hangers on the ships. Please can someone confirm. The Airfix kit provides the option of folded rotor blades and I'd like to do that to save space !! :shock:

Also, please can someone confirm whether they are SAN or SAAF birds. I know they're marked SA Navy but are operated by the SAAF.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 13:44 

Malcom, if you look at the boom, it seems to use the same boom as the German and Danish lynx's/ In the instructions it seems only the Royal Navy had the folding tail section.
I found pix of the German and Danish helos with folded main rotors, the kit actually supply the blade stays -nice touch, but the booms are straight.
http://www.maltashipphotos.com/s/super% ... 8.2008.jpg
https://maritimedanmark.dk/nonsec/npix/ ... 10x407.jpg
I also do not see the folding hidge assembly on the boom with the extention ontop as per german, danish or SAAF
http://s261.photobucket.com/user/keithn ... 6.jpg.html
I found a pc of an oke who built this model in Danish colours with a folded boom, but I think this might be wrong.

Atleast using this conversion set you dont have the hassle I have - the kit sullpies a clear plastic cover to simulate the FOd covers on the engines....noi idea yet what I am going to do there :?

Where did you get that fine mech?

T

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 14:58 

Hey Mistral,

Mistral wrote:
I've searched the web, including Dean's SAAF reference pictures section, and cannot find any photos of the SAAF Super Lynxes with folding rotors or tail boom.

- Westland Lynx Versions (Navy) thread on Britmodeller (See Tables 1 and 2 in the opening post).

Excellent build thus far :smt023

Hey Theuns,

T. van Vuuren wrote:
Atleast using this conversion set you dont have the hassle I have - the kit sullpies a clear plastic cover to simulate the FOd covers on the engines....noi idea yet what I am going to do there :?

- Westland Lynx Mesh Intake Guards How To thread on Britmodeller. :smt023

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 15:32 

Couldnt ask for more info than that! :smt023 :smt023
Now just to find such fine mesh :)

So do I then have it correct that only the R Navy one (for this kit) has the folding tail?The colloms confused me :oops:

T

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 16:30 
Site Admin

T. van Vuuren wrote:
The colloms confused me :oops:

Summary from the table:

Super Lynx Mk 64
Operator: SAAF
Nose: Radar + FLIR
Main blades: CMRB
Engines: LHTEC 800
Sponsons: With DAS
Tail boom: Fixed
Tail rotor: New
Tail stabiliser: Short

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 16:37 

Thanx Dean, I assume the German and Danish also fixed as per table?
I dont have the convex set so will be doing an out the box build, I have to decide between the Danish (schmaak the blue) or the German one.

Malcome is doing the SAAF so I will not even attempt one :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 16:51 

T. van Vuuren wrote:
Couldnt ask for more info than that! :smt023 :smt023
Now just to find such fine mesh :)

So do I then have it correct that only the R Navy one (for this kit) has the folding tail?The colloms confused me :oops:

T

I also do not have any images of the Super Lynx with anything folded but I think the long "towel rail" antenna on the tail boom would prevent any tail boom folding taking place.

Since the Valour-class Navy ships were built to accommodate two Super Lynxes it would be safe to assume that blade folding was a feature.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 16:53 

Mistral wrote:
OK, need some help here. I've searched the web, including Dean's SAAF reference pictures section, and cannot find any photos of the SAAF Super Lynxes with folding rotors or tail boom. I'm sure the rotors can be folded to fit into the hangers on the ships. Please can someone confirm. The Airfix kit provides the option of folded rotor blades and I'd like to do that to save space !! :shock:

Also, please can someone confirm whether they are SAN or SAAF birds. I know they're marked SA Navy but are operated by the SAAF.

The Super Lynx is indeed a SAAF bird - being operated by 22 Squadron and flown & maintained by SAAF crews. The old Westland Wasp was similarly marked & operated.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2017, 16:57 

Hey Theuns,

It depends on the mark you intend to build but if building straight out of the box you can build a German Navy Mk.88A with a fixed boom or a Royal Danish Navy Mk.90B with a fixed boom.

It is interesting to note that further on down the page in the link I posted above, mention is made of the intake grills being removable along with the main rotor vibration absorber.
One would need to reference their build against a photograph of a specific airframe to be accurate.

Regards,
Stratobat

Last edited by Stratobat on 09 Apr 2017, 22:25, edited 2 times in total.