The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 20 May 2024, 07:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Saxonwold Spitty....
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 16:21 

Hi there chaps...

I've been doing some digging through my grandfather's logbooks and some of his old Sqns war records... and turns out his favorite Spitfire VIII was... ZX-V JF274. None other than the 1st production VIII.

Based off the VII, its shared the extended wingtips etc etc.

Does anyone here have detailed pic of the Saxonwold Spitty as it is JF294... so her control layout would be almost identical to JF274 (I'm hoping).... so older tail and elevators.

I have found a few pics of JF294, but I am hoping that maybe, just maybe... a pic of JF274 will emerge...

I am planning on building the beautiful 1/32 Tam Spitty VIII and maybe the IXc at some point as well in the colors of his favored aircraft (the IXc SHF MH504).

Post subject: Re: Saxonwold Spitty....
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 18:09 

Hi Portamus,

the only photos I have of the Saxonwold Spitfire were taken 2 years ago. I have put them up bleow. Please excuse the people getting in the way, but it could not be helped. Hope the pics help.

I have in the past emailed the museum curator and asked for some photos of a the Focke Wulf 190. The museum PR person took several very good large photos of the aircraft (upper wing camo, etc), parts you cannot see anymore and forwarded them onto me via email. So it might be worth asking them to assist. I am sure they will when you explain the project.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 21:50 

Thank you so much for the pics... could you by any chance furnish me with the curator's email address via pm??

I have seen this spitfire in person, a few years ago.. but now I will give a left ball to go and have another look see!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 01:18 

The email address I used is as follows: milmus@icon.co.za
I explained what I was doing and asked nicely if they could supply me with some decent photos of the plane, so I could build the model as accurately as possible. About 2 weeks later I got an email back with several pictures attached. They enlarged to A4 size print without a problem and stayed clear.

Alternatively is ask the forum member MARS if he can get any decent pics. He is a member of the Gold Reef Scale Modellers. They meet at the Delville Wood Room, South African National Museum of Military History, Saxonwald, so I suspect he or one of the other club members knows the curator.