The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 01:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: MAKS 2019
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2019, 22:29 

Disclaimer: The videos below are not my own. Unfortunately, I missed out this year as we had family visiting from overseas. It seems it was a particularly bad year to miss out as the weather was good and there were some exceptional displays. They also had the Su-57 as a static display for the first time, as well as the Su-47 Berkut.

Several of the Su-57s were displayed in flight this year, but Sergei Bogdan's solo display stole the show. He has become a bit of a celebrity in Russia and was the pilot who performed the maiden flight of the first Su-57 (then T-50) prototype. There was some fake news floating around about a year ago about the Su-57 program being cancelled, but earlier this year it was announced that the Russian Defence Ministry had officially placed an order for 76 production aircraft. The first production aircraft is expected to be delivered later this year, although it is likely the initial production aircraft will not yet receive the new Izdeliye 30 engines and rather continue to fly with the Saturn AL-41F1 like the prototypes.

The Su-35 display this year was flown by Yury Vashchuk, another very experienced Sukhoi test pilot who has also displayed the T-50 before:

And for something slightly different while staying with the Sukhois, the Su-30SM display consisted of two aircraft flown by Irkut test pilots, starting with a very cool formation tail slide. What also made this display interesting was that the pilots of the two aircraft are father and son (Vyacheslav Averyanov in the lead aircraft and Evgeniy Averyanov, his son, in the second aircraft).

Unfortunately, I have not seen a similar quality video of the MiG-35 display, but from news videos that I have seen it seems that it also did a fantastic display. The MiG-35 is quite interesting since both the single seat MiG-35S and dual seat MiG-35UB are now in production for the Russian VKS (albeit a relatively small interim order) and they are now also offering an export version that was on static display at MAKS.

Anyway, hopefully some of the readers here will enjoy the videos while I feel sorry for myself for missing the show this year...

Post subject: Re: MAKS 2019
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 07:56 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Anyway, hopefully some of the readers here will enjoy the videos while I feel sorry for myself for missing the show this year...

I know how you feel, I'm having to miss the Navy Fleet Review in Simon's Town tomorrow :cry:

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 10:37 

Dean wrote:
I know how you feel, I'm having to miss the Navy Fleet Review in Simon's Town tomorrow :cry:

Well, I was able to go to the Swartkops air show after another thing got cancelled - at least some consolation :)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 11:26 

Mfezi wrote:
as the weather was good and there were some exceptional displays.

Greetings Mfezi. I can vouch for good weather in Saint Petersburg over the same period, end of August, when MAKS took place near Moscow. We spent two full days exploring the sights and 'things to do' in Saint Petersburg - mainly on foot. Even bought myself an imitation Ushanka adorned with the hammer and sickle!

MAKS is on the bucket list for things still to do.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2019, 15:47 

Tally-ho wrote:
We spent two full days exploring the sights and 'things to do' in Saint Petersburg - mainly on foot.

Great to see you posting here again, Tally-ho. I'm jealous - it's been almost two years since my last visit to St Petersburg. I firmly believe if you are only going to visit one city in Russia, St Petersburg should be it. I just don't know how you decided which places to leave off your itinerary if you were only there for two days :lol:. Even a couple of weeks is seldom enough for me, especially if you want to go visit the sites just outside St Petersburg such as Peterhof or Ekaterina Palace.

Tally-ho wrote:
MAKS is on the bucket list for things still to do.

As an airshow, MAKS is great, especially for our Westerners to see something different. It is principally a trade show, so if you are involved or interested in the aerospace or defence industry, there is also a lot to see indoors. Organisation is usually very good and they make it easy to get there - especially if you take the train from Moscow and then simply follow the crowd to the free busses that take you to the actual show. Also, it is located at an air base filled with history, which adds a bit "extra" in my opinion.

However, the weather has interfered with more than one of my previous MAKS visits - so there is a bit of a gamble involved if you go to Moscow only for the purpose of visiting MAKS - even more so if you limit yourself to only one particular day.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2019, 07:58 

This time a non-military display, the Irkut MC-21. I know this section is for "Other Air Forces", but I thought it better not to start a new thread in another section as it fits in with the MAKS 2019 topic.

The design was actually done by the Yakovlev design bureau (so some military connection there), but Irkut is their parent company and the one responsible for production. An interesting snag that the Russians ran into was that the carbon fibre materials needed for the wings, horizontal and vertical tails and parts of the fuselage were all originally supplied by Hexcel from the US and Toray from Japan. These were added to US sanctions in January of this year, forcing the Russians to look for alternative suppliers. Apparently they did consider Chinese alternatives, but eventually added it to their import substitution program and ramped up their domestic production of the materials. This program is now in the materials testing phase to insure the locally produced materials meet the performance specifications, and they expect to start using the locally produced materials by early next year (this is according to Irkut).

So far there are 175 firm orders for the aircraft and 150 "sales intentions". Virtually all the firm orders are for Russian airlines, except for Azerbaijan Airlines who placed an order for 10 MC-21-300's. It will be interesting to see how successful this aircraft will be commercially after the general disappointment of the Sukhoi Superjet program.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2019, 08:54 

I found a fairly good quality video of the MiG-35 display, although it was edited slightly to shorten it. The version in the video is the MiG-35D, which is not quite the serial production MiG-35UB purchased by the Russian VKS. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between the MiG-35D and -35UB, but for one thing, this is certainly not the most inspired colour scheme that I've seen on a combat jet. The biggest and probably most important difference between the MiG-35 and the MiG-29M2 in operation with Egypt and ordered by Algeria is the Zhuk-AME AESA radar, but we don't know whether that radar is already flying on the first few serial aircraft since various reports state that the radar is still in testing.

Hopefully at the next MAKS we'll see an in-service MiG-35UB (one was on static display) or perhaps even a MiG-35S single seater display - something to look forward to.

For comparison, here are a couple of pictures of a Russian VKS MiG-35UB that was also present at MAKS 2019:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2019, 18:01 

Not MAKS, but staying with the Russian theme: Fascinating video of the new Russian Okhotnik UCAV prototype in formation with a Su-57: