The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 13:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018, 14:28 

Inspired by Kremlin’s post http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2760&start=120

I bought this lovely kit from Wonderland Models at the IPMS Nationals “Scale Modelworld” in Telford last month. As you will read in his post AX-B was flown by Dickie Richards and Dave Hastie who each had a kill in her. Dickie Richards a Me.410 and Dave Hastie a FW-190.

Also bought the Montex masks and a few other bits from Barracudacals and Master.

Montex show the camo to be Dark Earth/Middle Stone over Azure Blue, perhaps an error they picked up from Xtradecal. I would love to paint it in this scheme. However, to my knowledge the SAAF received most of their Mk.VIII’s in the Ocean Sea Grey/Dark Green over Medium Sea Grey and only 2 in Medium Sea Gray over PRU Blue and all my references show that. I am keen to know which colour scheme is correct for this subject?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 23:16 

I am looking forward to your progress on such a nice kit :smt023

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 13:10 

patrikf wrote:
I am looking forward to your progress on such a nice kit :smt023

I will start posting some progress pics soon. Busy doing a few mods for the seat frame at the moment.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 23:57 

I have found a few very nice photos of JF294 that is at the South African National Museum of Military History on the net so will use these as reference where possible. JF294 was also on the same production run, only around thirteen ahead of JF322 (JF301 to JF315 was never used on Mk.VIII's), so you won't find a better reference when modelling JF322

Tamiya's Rudder Pedal Assembly setup is fairly bulky so I superglued some rod into where the pedals will be glued and then thinned it down with cutting and sanding.

Next is the seat framing as per the real thing below.

The frame is created by folding a small piece of metal from a beer tin over a 15cm stainless steel ruler then shaping it, after that I drilled a few holes as seen in the real thing above. This is will be joined together using very small gauges of Albion Alloy tube using a telescoping technique.

I have also slightly modified the framing behind the pilots head to look more like that of the Mk.VIII JF294.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 06:49 
Site Admin

jamesb557 wrote:

The frame is created by folding a small piece of metal from a beer tin over a ...

The sacrifices one must make for the furtherance of our hobby. :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 15:11 

Dean wrote:
jamesb557 wrote:

The frame is created by folding a small piece of metal from a beer tin over a ...

The sacrifices one must make for the furtherance of our hobby. :lol:

Tell me about it. However the contents were disposed of in an acceptable and correct manner. As per SAAF regulations :D :smt023