The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:17

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Reported Coup in Lesotho
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 11:19 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

News currently breaking of a coup or attempted coup in Lesotho with gunfire on streets and radio stations jammed.

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Lesot ... p-20140830

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 14:44 

:!: If true, let us see how many lessons learnt when the SANDF previously 'assisted' Lesotho during the last coup, are re-learnt because nothing has been done to address the lessons learnt and identified. :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 14:55 

The BBC says Lesotho's prime minister has left the country - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28994193

Quite frankly I don't see any real reason why the country shouldn't simply become a province of SA.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 15:18 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
The BBC says Lesotho's prime minister has left the country - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28994193

Quite frankly I don't see any real reason why the country shouldn't simply become a province of SA.

It's not a coup - it's a general election. The current general thinks it a good idea if he is elected prime minister. Old African tradition.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 15:39 

Eugene wrote:
It's not a coup - it's a general election. The current general thinks it a good idea if he is elected prime minister. Old African tradition.
=D> :lol:

I also see no reason why the little country can't just be incorporated in South Africa. Its existence is due to a quirk of British colonial days, and there's constant friction about farm stock along the RSA/Lesotho border.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 15:56 

koffiepit wrote:
Eugene wrote:
=D> :lol:

I also see no reason why the little country can't just be incorporated in South Africa. Its existence is due to a quirk of British colonial days, and there's constant friction about farm stock along the RSA/Lesotho border.

I really think some of you should do a bit of research into Lesotho and it's independence.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 16:46 

Nope, quite happy with Lesotho being its own country, do you know how many billions of rand's we would have to invest in the country to bring the infrastructure and county up to South Africa's standards, would probably cost more than it would be worth, plus the Lesotho people seem pretty touchy about their Independence from South Africa, I have had a number of entertaining conversations with some of them on this point

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:10 

A few years ago there was an organisation, the Lesotho People's Charter Movement, that stood for integration of Lesotho into SA.

A few news reports from 2010:
* http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/j ... uth-africa
* http://www.english.rfi.fr/africa/201005 ... uth-africa
* http://sundayexpress.co.ls/?p=2464

Whether it still exists and still maintains a pro-annexation policy position is anyone's guess.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:28 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
A few years ago there was an organisation, the Lesotho People's Charter Movement, that stood for integration of Lesotho into SA.

A few news reports from 2010:
* http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/j ... uth-africa
* http://www.english.rfi.fr/africa/201005 ... uth-africa
* http://sundayexpress.co.ls/?p=2464

Whether it still exists and still maintains a pro-annexation policy position is anyone's guess.

Such organisations can have a half dozen members. One can never tell what support it has.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:58 

Lets not intervene with blanks this time round. Actually this could be the trail run for our response capabilities. We all ready have units prepping for seboka so we can just divert them to a Lestho instead.

I eagerly await the response from Jacob Zuma and the SANDF higher ups.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 18:26 

sob wrote:
Lets not intervene with blanks this time round. Actually this could be the trail run for our response capabilities. We all ready have units prepping for seboka so we can just divert them to a Lestho instead.

I would suggest that "Lets not intervene" says it all.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 18:50 

Eugene wrote:
sob wrote:

Not a option. We depend on the country for hydro electrical power and fresh water. Not to mention we gave a warning 2 months ago to not have a coup and now we must put our money where our mouths are.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 19:02 

sob wrote:
Eugene wrote:
sob wrote:

Not a option. We depend on the country for hydro electrical power and fresh water. Not to mention we gave a warning 2 months ago to not have a coup and now we must put our money where our mouths are.

I do suggest you do a bit of checking up on just how much hydroelectricity Lesotho actually supplies to South Africa before you use words like "depend" and just how would Lesotho actually stop it's fresh water from getting to South Africa? Invading the country would be just that - a military invasion contradictory to international conventions. We could get "asked" by the Lesotho government to intercede but that does not necessarily mean rushing in waving arms.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 19:25 

[quote="Eugene]
I do suggest you do a bit of checking up on just how much hydroelectricity Lesotho actually supplies to South Africa before you use words like "depend" and just how would Lesotho actually stop it's fresh water from getting to South Africa? Invading the country would be just that - a military invasion contradictory to international conventions. We could get "asked" by the Lesotho government to intercede but that does not necessarily mean rushing in waving arms.[/quote]

Yes it is a extraction. Who said invade, the still elected prim minster is in exile in south Africa busy talking with SADC. I suspect either the army steps down or it will become a SADC intervention witch means a SA intervention. SA as all ready stated a commitment to this ideal of zero unlawful change of governments in SADC so if the Lesotho PM says there is a coup we kind of have to respond or people will doubt our countries integrity and will to uphold promises.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 19:25 

[quote="Eugene]
I do suggest you do a bit of checking up on just how much hydroelectricity Lesotho actually supplies to South Africa before you use words like "depend" and just how would Lesotho actually stop it's fresh water from getting to South Africa? Invading the country would be just that - a military invasion contradictory to international conventions. We could get "asked" by the Lesotho government to intercede but that does not necessarily mean rushing in waving arms.[/quote]

Yes it is a extraction. Who said invade, the still elected prim minster is in exile in south Africa busy talking with SADC. I suspect either the army steps down or it will become a SADC intervention witch means a SA intervention. SA as all ready stated a commitment to this ideal of zero unlawful change of governments in SADC so if the Lesotho PM says there is a coup we kind of have to respond or people will doubt our countries integrity and will to uphold promises.