The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:09

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: STOBAR Question/Help
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 10:29 

From Wikipedia:
STOBAR (Short Take-Off But Arrested Recovery) is a system used for the launch and recovery of aircraft from the deck of an aircraft carrier, combining elements of both short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) with catapult-assisted take-off but with arrested recovery (CATOBAR).

Aircraft launch under their own power using a ski-jump to assist take-off (rather than using a catapult like most carriers). However, these are conventional, rather than STOVL aircraft, and thus require arrestor wires to land on the ship. The STOBAR system is simpler to build than CATOBAR — but it works only with aircraft that have a high thrust to weight ratio.

My Question:
How would I calculate the theoretical takeoff distance for a Gripen E/N? And landing distance with arrestor wires?
I have gotten to the point where I have some of the variables required. Thrust to weight ratio, taking weapons load and fuel into account, head wind speed, angle of ski jump, upward curve after launch, apex curve, downward curve, lowest point, recovery climb. But the maths is a bit above my skill level. Even if you don't have the complete answer please contribute. What is the Gripen C/E/N stall speed, approach speed? Any information that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: STOBAR Question/Help
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 11:37 

The distance of an arrested landing depends on the arrestor system, not the aircraft.
The US Navy's system is widely reported to stop planes "in 100 feet".
The limiting factor is the "backward" G-force tolerance of the plane and pilot. Bending or breaking the plane's tail or cracking the pilot's neck or ribs is generally frowned upon. The arrestor's braking system is adjusted according to the plane's weight and speed (momentum) at touchdown.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 11:46 

Thanks Roger. That would make arrested landing possible then on my ship. (Pygmy) 100ft = 30.48 meters. Ship/flight deck current length is 153m.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 11:51 

Made some slight changes to maximize runway length and moved secondary launch spot off runway line. I was also able to add 4 more parking spots.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 12:54 

LHD Configuration.