The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:29

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 19:54 

Hey guys

calling all the people with "inside knowledge" to help me out on this one please:

I purchased a SAAF Gueneau helmet some time ago in a lot, and from the pictures I figured it was a 2 Squadron Mirage helmet. But upon receiving the item I realised that it wasn't, due to the fact that instead of the helmet being the signature bright red colour as worn by 2 Sqdn, it was in fact a dark burgandy / wine red.

The pilot's callsign who the helmet initially belonged to is: "Iceberg", and on the rear of the helmet in the same writing it reads: "Fighting Cocks"

I have a feeling it might be from a squadron that flew Impalas ( 8 Squadron located @ Bloemspruit? ) ...but I'm not sure. ANY information as to the origins of the helmet will be greatly appreciated, including pilot's name, squadron, aircraft type flown, years in service, ect.

Thanx in advance

"Vlerkies" van Zyl aka. Falcon 1 Image

Post subject: Maybe.
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2007, 17:16 

I know that Crow Stanard had a burgandy helmet when he was O.C. at CFS Dunnotter. His call sign was not "Iceman". This might have been his helmet but obviously we did not have oxygen masks in Harvards. When CFS transfered to Langebaan he was the O.C. for a time there and they flew Astra's so that could explain the mask and the helmet could have been passed on to somene else. That is all I can tell you.

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009, 03:18 

Hi Falkon 1,

This helmet was one of the pilot's at 8 Sqn which was based at AFB Hoedspruit (1999 to 2002 )after been moved from AFB Bloemspruit to AFB Hoetspruit but was closed down 2002. His name was Lt.Charl Van Der Berg and his call sign was " Iceberg" and the "fighing cocks" at the back was 8 Sqn's "call sign". I was a techncian at the Sqn at that time but we where transfered ater the Sqn closed.

Hope the information could be of help.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 01:47 

Thanks a million for that info Oosie!!

That really helps me out a LOT! If I was back in SA right now I'd sommer buy you a beer man! :smt023

So far my collection of flight helmets stand at 15, of which 10 are from the South African Air Force. I try to gather as much info on the histories of each individual helmet type and background as possible... so this info is truly priceless to me! Going to see if I can do some more research on Lt. van der Berg and maybe find a photograph or two somewhere... Any help in this would also be appreciated from anyone who knew him, or knew of him. :wink:

In the meantime, hou die blink kant bo! \:D/

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 09:31 

Holy sht! 10 SAAF helmets is so cool, please post pics.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 15:13 

Would you ever be interested in selling one or two?? [-o<

I desperately want to get my hands on a 1 Squadron F1-AZ helmet.... or a 3 Sqn CZ dome......

*Sigh*

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 16:41 

H1017412 wrote:
Holy sht! 10 SAAF helmets is so cool, please post pics.

This.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 00:45 

I don't mind posting pics... but only on the condition that some of the other collectors here among us decide to share their wonderful SAAF collections with us as well... I waited to see if there was any mention of it made in the "hobbies" thread that was running on here some time ago, but alas, nobody even mentioned they collect militaria. I know we have some collectors with great collections here among us as I've purchased some items from them in the past. I'm not going to mention any names but I've only been collecting for about 5 years now and I know my collection pales in comparison to some of my peers who've been collecting almost an entire lifetime.

As I've mentioned when I introduced myself on the forums almost 2 years ago, I collect mainly SAAF wings (all eras), badges, patches, uniforms, helmets, flight suits, safety gear, flags, books and magazines concerning the SAAF or SADF. As well as uniforms worn by the SADF around the time of the Border War, kit, helmets, weapons and gear, badges, patches, medals and insignia, flags and photographs, ...pretty much any- and everything SAAF and SADF. :P

Right now my Flight Helmet collection consists of:
1 x USAF F-16 Falcon HGU-55 type helmet w/ MBU-12/P O2 mask
1 x USAF F-15 Eagle HGU-26 type helmet w/ MBU-5/P O2 mask
1 x USN F-14 Tomcat HGU-33/P type helmet w/ MBU-5/P O2 mask
1 x USN F-4 Phantom APH-6C type helmet w/ detereorated O2 mask
1 x SAAF Mirage III Gueneau 316 type helmet w/ LEEP O2 mask (2 Eskader)
1 x SAAF Impala Mk.2 Gueneau 316 type helmet w/ LEEP O2 mask (8 Eskader)
1 x SAAF Impala Mk.2 Gueneau 316 type helmet (Air superiority cammo)
1 x SAAF Impala Mk.1 Gueneau 316 type helmet w/ LEEP O2 mask (Silwer Valke - Falcon 1)
1 x SAAF SA330 Puma Gueneau 316 type helmet w/ Mic boom
1 x SAAF SA330 Puma Gueneau 316 type helmet w/ missing NVG mount
1 x SAAF M1 Oryx Elno type helmet w/ Mic boom & NVG mount included
1 x SAAF Rooivalk Alpha 550 type helmet w/ Mic boom & NVG mount included (16 Eskader)
1 x SAAF Allouette III Mk.3b type helmet w/ Mic boom
1 x SAAF Sabre Mk.1a type helmet w/ O2 mask
1 x Chinese custom painted helmet

I also collect model aircraft kits in scales varying from 1/72 up to 1/24. For large scale aircraft they didn't manufacture in kit form I have wood model replicas. The largest military aircraft I have has to be a 1/18 scale F-16 exact replica "toy" manufactured by BBI and sold in Wal Mart stores here some time ago, which I want to repaint in IAF desert cammo. The largest plastic aircraft model kit I own probably has to be the 1/100 scale Boeing 747 made by Entex which I want to do up in the old SAA colours. I have kits to build almost all of the SAAF fighter aircraft to date and my scale of choice is 1/32 ( BIGGER is BETTER :lol: ). Unfortunately the only kit I've had time to complete is a 1/35 scale Ratel 90 resin kit, and I've been stuck finnishing a 1/1400 starship Enterprise C for over a year now... (long story)

So to my fellow collectors on these forums: it might not be fair to the other guys here, maar gaan ons "uithaal en wys"? (It has to be a consensus among us serious collectors. Portamus has lead the way by posting his collection in the "for sale" section of the forums already... It might help if Dean adds a designated SAAF collectors section to the forums beside the modelling and simulation sections??)

And to anyone interested in checking it out, my favourite international site concerning scale aircraft modeling has to be the Aircraft Resource Center site or "ARC". They have daily updates of modeller's builds from around the world, and I start every day by checking their website 1st! Always makes me happy and proud to see aircraft built in SAAF colours from time to time posted on there. \:D/

The link is: http://www.arcair.com/

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 02:47 

My collection is so small but I'll post some pictures when I get home from work :)

That is an impressive collection you have there - especially the Imp helmet and the Rooivalk one! :smt023

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 12:03 

I second that.... awesome idea Falcon...

A new section for collectors. =D>

Just out of curiosity, where do you get your helmets from?? How much do they usually go for??

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 20:48 

Hurray!

I just received my latest acquisition today! a Gueneau 316 type helmet in air superiority cammo worn by Cheetah D pilots of the TFDC. My next target is most definately a red 2 Squadron helmet worn by Cheetah C pilots which has been the main helmet I've been after since I've started collecting. When I manage to pick one up it'll most definately be the centerpiece of the entire collection.

@ Portamus:
I can tell you... but then I'd have to kill you :wink:

@ H1017412:

Still eagerly awaiting those pictures Sir... Image

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 23:25 

You first Falcon1... lead by example :)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 10:41 

I love that falcon1, great stuff :smt023

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 11:17 

I'm going to restart this thread, but this is what I currently own in my collection:
1 x Silver Falcons No 3 flight helmet from 1995 - 1997 Era on Impala's (Blue and Silver colouration) (If someone could assist with the names of the Silver Falcons number 3 pilots on the mirage over these years (say starting 1994 just in case) I would really appreciate it as I would like to find the original owner and ask him to "sign" for it if he is willing.)

1 x SAAF Flightsuit with wings on them (Looking to get stripes, and all badges necessary to complete a mirage or cheetah flight suit if anyone has. Also looking to make a custom Call Sign badge with a custom call sign if anyone knows where?)

1 x SAAF Mirage G-Suit (Bought from the Warstore) (Bags don't inflate properly):

1 x 1970 Mirage full-body G-suit - unserviced and fully working (Looking to trade this for other equipment necessary to complete a full Mirage kit such as Boots, Survival Pack, etc ... or willing to buy if you don't want to trade, so if you have one available and are willing to sell / trade, let me know)

1 x Airforce Cap with Badge (Arriving in the post shortly)

Regards

Itai

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 11:18 

Also, another question.

This flightsuit which I got the other day seems to be quite looses on the skin ... are you supposed to wear pants and a vest under it, or what exactly? And if so, can anyone here assist me in getting the correct gear?