The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: EARTH HOUR
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 13:44 

REMEMBER EARTH HOUR SATURDAY NIGHT AT 8:30 - 9:30 - SWITCH OFF YOUR LIGHTS.

Post subject: Re: EARTH HOUR
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 14:09 

LoveSAAF wrote:
REMEMBER EARTH HOUR SATURDAY NIGHT AT 8:30 - 9:30 - SWITCH OFF YOUR LIGHTS and everything else!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 14:16 

I'm definitely doing some flying in FS 2004 - some circuits scheduled in a Gripen D at Overberg... Or will maybe just fly from Cape Town to Waterkloof in a Mirage for a change.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 14:44 
Site Admin

My contribution will be to attend the night gunnery demo at Simonstown. :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009, 15:57 

Gripen wrote:
LoveSAAF wrote:
REMEMBER EARTH HOUR SATURDAY NIGHT AT 8:30 - 9:30 - SWITCH OFF YOUR LIGHTS and everything else!

its empty symbolism. who is responsible for this warming and climate change?
america refused to sign the kyoto agreement so that emissions would be reduced
then they tell me to switch my lights for a whole hour.utter bollocks. i didnt.

http://www.discerningtoday.org/bush_rejects_kyoto.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=47
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2006/10/31/a ... to-treaty/

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009, 20:22 

wow skyhawk aren’t you a ray of light in a city full of empty symbolism? I know I turned off my lights, and you know what that did for climate change? Absolutely nothing, but I still did it cause it was a good idea and it didn’t inconvenience me at all, so why not. Two decades ago SA was the personification of segregation and racism, yet from that exact same time came Nelson Mandela and Bishop Desmond Tutu. Just because one stupid leader in power says something, it doesn’t mean the entire population of that country has to agree with him. So what now, since Al Gore comes from America are you going to disregard everything he says about climate change? Think about it

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 08:08 

Well I for one also didn't switch off my lights. Why not? Because it does not make a difference! For the cause....What cause? Who's cause? Al Gore didn't win the presidency and had to do something to earn some $$$$$. He made a s*#@t load of money convincing all and every gullible person, witch by the way is most everyone, that our planet is dyeing! Do you really think it is true? Well there are more opinions on that subject than just his and the few scientists who supported him.
Do some more reading on this subject and you will find loads of material from a lot of other scientists that does not support this idea. My wife is a respected scientist in her field at the CSIR and works in the environmental sciences. She says there are so many veering opinions on this subject that nothing is conclusive as yet. Just one point to ponder: One erupting volcano dispatches more CO, CO2 and other harmful gasses into the atmosphere, than the city of New York does in a decade. Point is that there are more harm done to the environment by indiscriminant farming and spillage of human waste and other chemicals into our water. We need to be realistic about these things. At the moment the so called greenhouse gas fraternity is simply making the biggest noise. That does not make them right??? Does it??? In our country we should be much more worried about our water resources and our food production than about the so called greenhouse gasses that are not a fore gone conclusive issue.
So, next time you want to switch off your lights and contribute very little to the support of more pressing issues, please do more homework before jumping on the band wagon simply because some good speaker confuses all and sundry. Please, do not take me wrong. I do commend you on your willingness to contribute to the environmental problems facing us in these times. I simply would like us all to spend our time and effort on more pressing and direct problems, than those efforts going to waste on issues that are initiated by those who stand to benefit more from our ill informed ways.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 15:36 

I my opinion, Earth hour WAS REALLY necessary - not for saving power, not for making other people aware, but to make the politicians aware that we're not blind, we're feeling Global warming on our skins. we had the weirdest weather, EVER, in CPT. One day 38 degrees, and two days later winter weather... The planet is at a stage where it's TOO late to turn back. If the atmosphere is heating, will reducing polution stop it? I reckon no - we're beyond the point of no return.
I lived in CPT all my life - SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY WRONG with our weather patterns! I never experienced water restrictions in CPT in the first 20 years of my life. lately we had it for 3 - 4 years continously, then all of a sudden : last winter was the best rain we had for years...

Well done to everybody taking part - hopefully Zuma uses our efforts to do something about SA's polution.

But I have to agree with Boertjie : at the moment , water is a bigger issue than climate change - on the short term it is going to bite us in the bum... watch 50/50 on Monday nights. we had one helluva lot of crocodiles dying in the Kruger - because of water polution. the government is not doing enough about large factories dumping their s#%t in our rivers. Look at the big dam close to JHB... it is horrible...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 16:43 

boertjie wrote:
Well I for one also didn't switch off my lights. Why not? Because it does not make a difference! For the cause....What cause? Who's cause? Al Gore didn't win the presidency and had to do something to earn some $$$$$. He made a s*#@t load of money convincing all and every gullible person, witch by the way is most everyone, that our planet is dyeing! Do you really think it is true? Well there are more opinions on that subject than just his and the few scientists who supported him.
Do some more reading on this subject and you will find loads of material from a lot of other scientists that does not support this idea. My wife is a respected scientist in her field at the CSIR and works in the environmental sciences. She says there are so many veering opinions on this subject that nothing is conclusive as yet. Just one point to ponder: One erupting volcano dispatches more CO, CO2 and other harmful gasses into the atmosphere, than the city of New York does in a decade. Point is that there are more harm done to the environment by indiscriminant farming and spillage of human waste and other chemicals into our water. We need to be realistic about these things. At the moment the so called greenhouse gas fraternity is simply making the biggest noise. That does not make them right??? Does it??? In our country we should be much more worried about our water resources and our food production than about the so called greenhouse gasses that are not a fore gone conclusive issue.
So, next time you want to switch off your lights and contribute very little to the support of more pressing issues, please do more homework before jumping on the band wagon simply because some good speaker confuses all and sundry. Please, do not take me wrong. I do commend you on your willingness to contribute to the environmental problems facing us in these times. I simply would like us all to spend our time and effort on more pressing and direct problems, than those efforts going to waste on issues that are initiated by those who stand to benefit more from our ill informed ways.

i agree with you completetly. people should look at things from a higher perspective its saddening that people do what they are told without researching they just want to be part of a bandwagon. there is circumcision its siad it reduce hiv infection by more than 50% wat is not known is reserch is underway and it could be proven wrong. then then there is bio fuel which could even cause more global warming. there is so much reserch that nedds to be done

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 21:26 

I hear what you guys are saying and agree with you all fully, heck if you want to believe research there are plenty of scientists who say the world should of ended already, or we should be ruled by aliens :mrgreen: . Anyway the reason I did it was not for climate change but waste. During earth hour 1% of our generating capacity for one hour was saved which is pretty tiny. The problem comes in the fact that South Africa is running out of coal, make no mistake about that. Now how much coal is wasted a year on producing power that is being wasted? Now if that coal was being used wiser it could either be sold internationally to bring more foreign currency in or could be left under ground for longer to give is power for longer, that’s the way I see it.
As for the bunny huggers, well ya :? . They go one about how the sea levels will rise and bla bla, sure they will rise, but the latest figures I saw were not that much and in a long time. They say large parts of cities like new York will be below sea level in a couple decades, and then fail to mention that well alot of counties like Holland are below sea level.
So pretty much each to his own, sure the climates are changing but there are other factors affecting it. Some people did earth hour for climate change, I did mine against wastage, which is so large in our modern lifestyle. And again quoting from my first post, what did it do, absolutely nothing

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 12:27 

I switched every light and appliance on for the occasion. ;). I am not about to wear sackcloth and flaggelate mself, or pay indulgences to the new pope of a new religion. With zero scientific basis whatsoever the fear of global warming is pure religion.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 11:23 

Deltawingman wrote:
I switched every light and appliance on for the occasion. ;). I am not about to wear sackcloth and flaggelate mself, or pay indulgences to the new pope of a new religion. With zero scientific basis whatsoever the fear of global warming is pure religion.

are you gonna switch off the lights and everything else again

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 12:36 

Why and what for?

Its like use less paper to save the rain forest, duh..... paper is not made from rain forest trees.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 01:28 

ag, just plant more trees.
i mean sho, the owes that worry about this is the least to be worrying about. there are other things needed like jobs and food. not how much co2 is in the air. :shock:

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 10:23 

Deltawingman wrote:

are you going to do it again this year ?