The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How do I get in now?
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:40 

So we all know that Pilot/Navigator training has been cancelled. But, are there any other ways to get into SAAF? I'm in grade 12 and simply can't see myself anywhere else - but the question is: what can/should I apply for?

Post subject: Re: How do I get in now?
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 09:46 

You should apply for University - get a degree in something relevant.
While you are there you could join the University reserve training scheme.
By the time you graduate the SAAF will either be completely dead or recovering. and recruiting will either be zero or increasing.

Last edited by Roger the Dodger on 10 Sep 2013, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 13:55 

Try applying to the SAAF to study a university degree through them. This way you can get a feel for the culture and hence make a decision on a longer term career with them. If flying training then is started again you could apply for a remustering.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 15:19 

My advice to you is go to University, study first like aeronautical engineering.. once you have your degree the age limit for you to join increases to 26/27yrs of age. Then apply for SAAF as a pilot/navigator. I made the mistake and joined straight out of school at 18, went into the technical field at 68 air school..people will say you can remuster..its not that easy!!!! When trying to remuster to another field not only are you applying but 150 other saaf members aswell. 2004 i joined the SAAF by 2009 i was out...SAAF was my life. Think hard about this decision, can be the best thing you ever do, or the worst. Dnt be put off from negative feedback, follow what you think is right. I say study 1st and get into the field you want to in SAAF, that way you will neva have to worry about getting Rank like some of the NCO's fight for..lol and you wont have to worry about remustering..

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 19:19 

Wow, thanks. It's a great relief knowing that there's some loophole I can use to get in. Since they've stopped recruiting, when should I apply (for engineering)?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 19:57 

Never say never...recruiting has not stopped, just reduced/hiatus for this year.
Go study something applicable within your means, work hard. No-one can take an education from you. In my experience dealing with applicants across the spectrum in the military aviation community, those who shine are the maturer, EDUCATED ones. And most importantly...have a back up plan...what are you to do if you are denied your first choice in a career...oh, and have passion.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 13:24 

Your financial support base would obviously also determine what direction you take (studying through the SAAF or not). Also your ability to get into university applying yourself or through the SAAF. Also keep in mind if you do get into the SAAF to study a degree they would accept you based on being officer material. Which is something they look for when becoming a pilot or a Nav.

As they would say in market research don't work on a sample size of one.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 16:25 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Strikenav1 wrote:
Your financial support base would obviously also determine what direction you take (studying through the SAAF or not). Also your ability to get into university applying yourself or through the SAAF. Also keep in mind if you do get into the SAAF to study a degree they would accept you based on being officer material. Which is something they look for when becoming a pilot or a Nav.

As they would say in market research don't work on a sample size of one.

I had an Engineer Bursary thru the SAAF, and basically you sign a contract that you will work 10 years back as an Engineer. If you do not work your 10 years back, you payback every sent of the bursary, with prime + 1 interest. The same applies if you fail at university.

The Bursary is one of the best (Not sure if it is the same still).
It includes:
University fees,
Books
Hostels’ or private accommodation,
Pocket money!

You have to keep a certain average in your exams,

Basically they give you a cheque in January, and if you pass a year, the next year you get the next one. You can even chose where you want to study the four years.

And after your four years of University you do a practical year with a market related salary, so not that bad. Then you have to work back your 10 years……