The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:44

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Is it still worth it?
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 21:22 

Hi everyone,

This year I'm in Matric and so far I've given my all! Shockingly to hear that the air force's budget has been cut again and reading that they are placing a few gripens in "storage"

Is it still worth doing a lot of preparation for the SAAF or should I start considering the RAF? At the moment I don't see a bright future for the air force.

Thanks in advance.
Francois vd Merwe

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 13:05 

Personally, if I'd had the option to try join the RAF when I was still in school, I would've taken it.
Even if you don't go the SAAF/RAF/Any military route, continue giving it your all at school! :smt023

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 13:13 

Definitely Gripen, I'll continue doing my part, but just like my question, is it still worth doing it FOR the SAAF? Because if I want to join the RAF(and I think it will be absolutely amazing) then I'll have to work even harder as the requirements are harder to reach.

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 17:09 

SilverFalconOne wrote:
Definitely Gripen, I'll continue doing my part, but just like my question, is it still worth doing it FOR the SAAF? Because if I want to join the RAF(and I think it will be absolutely amazing) then I'll have to work even harder as the requirements are harder to reach.

And I think you require a degree in order to be considered for pilot training in the RAF.
As for the SAAF. Unfortunately I think the state of the armed forces is going to continue to deteriorate.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 19:33 

I'm in almost exactly in the same predicament as you are Francois. I'm also looking into joining the SAAF next year but with the current situation they are in I'm not sure what to do. I think the best is to do some job shadowing and see for yourself what it is like. Though I have been for a while now trying to contact somebody for job shadowing I haven't had much luck.

Best of luck to you Francois!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 07:10 

I totally agree with you Spectre, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. I'll call a few bases and hear what they have got to say, I get to fly a lot too, so if you are interested then I'm sure you can come along.

Greetings Francois

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 17:58 

I am still in grade 11 myself, but I have also been shooting for the SAAF, and well, lately I really don't know.
It really feels like a bad move now, if I decide against the Air Force I will go the civil route, but the AF is what I really wanted to do.

Well, I think I will work on flight schools for now, already been requesting quotes and so on, am going to an open day this weekend actually.
I will still apply for the AF, if I don't make it then I guess it might be for the best.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 21:56 

I'd say get through the selections first, and then decide if you want to go or not...listening to all the media reports can be very discouraging...more often than not they make things sound worst than it really is..anyway, chances are that you will make it through selections are very small...so why bother about that question now? Even if you only get 1500 flying hours by the end of your contract(13 years) im pretty sure you would easily get a job as a commercial pilot. Military flight training is the best you can get (yes even if its the SAAF's training, their standards are still very high , defense cuts or not) and the most exciting.

Before you decide , compare what you are going to get in the SAAF as a pilot to what you are going to get as a private and commercial pilot..in terms of flight hours, experience, level of training, ratings and (although it might not seem so important now) time spent away from your family.

Maybe get a degree first, and then come back to apply for pilot training.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 08:35 

Edz wrote:
Maybe get a degree first, and then come back to apply for pilot training.

This is a good idea! :smt023
By the time you graduate the SAAF will either be on the road to recovery or it will have collapsed because the Defence Review will by then either be accepted or rejected. Having a degree is also a significant advantage at selections.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 17:39 

Hey guys! Today I managed to do job shadowing at AFB Waterkloof. They are very accomadating and make you feel welcome. On the matter of is it still worth joining the air force I would say YES! It is one of the best work enviroments I have seen. =D> The pilots definitely get enough hours in the transport area. From what I heard today the flying hours depend a lot on the pilot! If your dream is to join the air force I still highly recommend you pursue your dream! Go and see for yourself :)

Any questions about my visit there is welcome!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 17:20 

Just go ahead and do the selections,and if you fail the first time apply again until you are too old to,until they tired of you,if you give up the first time,you are over..a example of what happened to my ex girlfriend went through selections,passed everything more than 90 % yet failed in the last task,medical!!by being told her arm length and sitting height was 1! cm too short,that was just way of telling her in a nice way to go home.They keep the medical for last,caus that's where they CAN easily fail you on stupid pathetic ways...that's beyond your control...

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 15:53 

Joining any other Air Force right now is neither a better option nor worse...all defence forces are tightening their belts. You will not find a rapidly expanding flying arm anywhere in the world right now except in the far east. The wheel slows down...but it never stops turning! So if you find yourself desperately wanting to be a military aviator and no recruitment is taking place...go and study something, broaden your horison and try again when the opportunity comes around. Follow your dreams, never settle!

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 16:15 

Quote:
a example of what happened to my ex girlfriend went through selections,passed everything more than 90 % yet failed in the last task,medical!!by being told her arm length and sitting height was 1! cm too short,that was just way of telling her in a nice way to go home.They keep the medical for last,caus that's where they CAN easily fail you on stupid pathetic ways...that's beyond your control...

Not the case at all. The medical is very thorough because they are investing alot of money in a POTENTIAL pilot. They are going to want to make sure the candidate satisfies all their requirements, even with what may seem as petty anthropomorphics. The arm length issue is nothing new... even with my selections 2/3 of the females failed the measurements and were sent packing