The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: are we at war(DRC)
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 19:16 

So it looks like the SADCBRIG will deploy by the end of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYoYzPf1GB8

http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/2dcdf2804f ... C-20130407

Those reports of air trafic at our air bases could be because of this. I do hope we are goining in, in force.

Edit
http://www.citypress.co.za/news/back-to ... ack-to-war

Post subject: Re: are we at war(DRC)
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 06:29 

Interesting developments down South I see.

Are we war, no. Only Peace enforcement, the RSA has not declared War on another country.

Peace Enforcement under UN rules are allowed and it is not a 'declaration of war'.

The SANDF is stretched in terms of manpower, resorurces etc, lets be positive, and the migration to deploying from Peace Keeping to Peace Enfrocement is a major step. The current budgetary restrictions and military capablities will be placed under severe strain, and hope this will start a positive role to adequately fund the military and enable future capablity requirements to be procured and current in service capablities be upgraded as required, to meet the needs of the 'tactical forces' deployed to enforce a mandate as ordered.

The lack of startegic transport capablity etc, now I hope the priority shifts from over funding e.g. 21 Sqn to our operaional squadrons e.g. 2, 16, 35 etc that are really the core of the air force, not 21 Squadron!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 08:52 

What about 60 Squadron?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 09:23 

Well lets hope that they now finally realize that they can't do without heavy lift capability, especially if they want to be deployed for such long periods of time and know that our troops need air support.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 10:27 

i say again, sad, but exciting times!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 10:33 

I am a bit on the fence with this whole deployement up in Africa.........is it worth it......is it gonna help....will they be successful, but.........imagine if we could have the same commitment from government, the same resources put into the whole war on rhino poaching, I believe, that would be a war worth fighting for.....dying for......and possibly even a war we could win.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 11:17 

Cliff, don't know if it is worth giving human lives for Rhino lives. I for one do not think so, and it is sad that this has already happened :cry:
Is the fight for "peace" in the DRC worth it? Who knows? Ordinary people, just trying to make a living and unable to defend themselves, are being killed and women are being raped. [-X
Question is thou, is this our fight or not. :?
I'm not so sure about that [-X
I for one will not like it a bit if my son is send there, especially not if there is a good chance that he may get killed by unnatural means, like in a war.... :shock:
I have to agree thou, it is exciting times we live in. Who would have thought our defense force would be in these situations again (CAR & DRC), phewww [-o<

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 11:49 

boertjie wrote:
Cliff, don't know if it is worth giving human lives for Rhino lives. I for one do not think so, and it is sad that this has already happened :cry:
Is the fight for "peace" in the DRC worth it? Who knows? Ordinary people, just trying to make a living and unable to defend themselves, are being killed and women are being raped. [-X
I for one will not like it a bit if my son is send there, especially not if there is a good chance that he may get killed by unnatural means, like in a war.... :shock:
I have to agree thou, it is exciting times we live in. Who would have thought our defense force would be in these situations again (CAR & DRC), phewww [-o<

ok.....agreed.......but lives lost if any in defending our Rhinos would be much less though.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 11:58 

Clifford3959 wrote:
boertjie wrote:

ok.....agreed.......but lives lost if any in defending our Rhinos would be much less though.

100 park rangers(could be more now) have died due to poaching.

Our resoans for being in the DRC are nobel. And bring peace to the DRC will be good for SA and the region.

I just don't know if this will achieve it.

SANDF has really increased it's level of activty. We are indeed in intristing times.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 19:12 

Aaa, finely I got time to post, just to busy. Well, as previously stated, Not at war with the congo, and still not with the m23, but that`s going to change.

War is a last resort, and it still doesn`t solve any problems, but just give hope for some. It`s basically a generation of every body want`s to be Chief, and get rich, don`t care about how they doing it.

Wander how many Rooivalk they send up, 2/4? and is their n possible chance they can get a couple Makopa`s, would have been n nice to get it tested operational, for sales.
And the Gripens, is it 2 C and 1 D? I think they are playing nicely with the Su-30 up their, bit of dissimilar combat training? :roll: :roll:

And you think they send up some of the G-5 / G-6?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2013, 22:34 

Clifford3959 wrote:
I am a bit on the fence with this whole deployement up in Africa.........is it worth it......is it gonna help....will they be successful, but.........imagine if we could have the same commitment from government, the same resources put into the whole war on rhino poaching, I believe, that would be a war worth fighting for.....dying for......and possibly even a war we could win.

“All it takes for evil to succeed is for a few good men to do nothing...”

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 05:57 

This article http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/S ... g-20130409 says that at least 4 Gripens have been sent to the CAR before the countries of Francophone Africa sent him packing.

The Gripens were equiped with
- IRIS-T (by the looks of it), and
- drop tanks.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 07:43 

Note in the bottom picture of the article how they refer to the Iris T missiles as Air to Ground missiles. #-o =D> [-X :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 11:01 

Cliff
In the article itself they had it right at least.... :)
Another viewpoint:
I wonder if the build-up of troops was not for the DRC to begin with, rather than for the CAR. May-be the CAR became a "handy" decoy when it blew-up in RSA'a faces.
Do you guys think, or maybe have some proof, that the equipment will be used in the DRC? Including the Rooivalk and Gripens.
Do anybody knows about the size of the force that was send to Uganda and if this force will be deployed to the DRC?
I think this whole thing has been deliberately made as confusing as possible in order to disguise the true reason for tactical purposes. The President still did not inform parliament about this latest troop deployment yet, has he?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 11:48 

boertjie wrote:
Cliff
In the article itself they had it right at least.... :)
Another viewpoint:
I wonder if the build-up of troops was not for the DRC to begin with, rather than for the CAR. May-be the CAR became a "handy" decoy when it blew-up in RSA'a faces.
Do you guys think, or maybe have some proof, that the equipment will be used in the DRC? Including the Rooivalk and Gripens.
Do anybody knows about the size of the force that was send to Uganda and if this force will be deployed to the DRC?
I think this whole thing has been deliberately made as confusing as possible in order to disguise the true reason for tactical purposes. The President still did not inform parliament about this latest troop deployment yet, has he?

No, I think the confusion in the public domain is as a result of:
- Confusion and criminally poor planning and bypassing the oversight processes of the democracy at top level, (the minister of defense gave a pathetic display of absolute cluelessness in her presentation to the military oversight committee last week.)
- A knee-jerk fire fighting approach to the CAR debacle after the house has completely burned down,
- The fact that the Francophone African nations basically told Zuma two words (F Off) with the result that he had to bring back the "firefighters" in a hurry,
- Since South Africa is not welcome in the CAR and other Francophone African countries any more, South Africa's quick changing of priorities to increase its involvement in the DRC in conjunction with the new UN resolution to escalate its involvement in the DRC from peacekeeping to peace enforcement ,
- A deliberate blackout of information to parliament and the public (as if we are a dictatorship instead of a democracy where the executive authorities are accountable to parliament for their actions, especially any external military adventures.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next