The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:39

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 09:50 

Hi everyone, my first time posting, long time lurker.

Did anyone see something in the sky last night over Cape Town? Lots of tweets doing the rounds here's the only picture I could find (looks like a vapour cone?) - http://lifeissavage.com/wp-content/uplo ... e-town.jpg

I got this description from my cousin who saw the whole thing (Durbanville side)

" It didnt leave a cone or a tail. Thats why i think its weird. It started off as a light, then it started to slowly turn to white smoke with a light in it, and while still moving, the cloud got bigger but like towards the front of the moving light, then it started to look like a cloud, but a square-ish cloud and then slowly became transparent."

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 14:19 

What's the betting that despite a good number of people on this forum with photographic equipment that'll read the warning labels in the landing-gear wells of an approaching airliner, we haven't got a single quality shot if this xD

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 15:23 

Quite a stir down in Slaapstad. From this site:

http://uforsa.co.za/2012/12/ufo-sighting-in-kimberley.html

Quote:
UFO sighting in Kimberley
Post on December 12, 2012 by UfoRSA tagged: cylinder, star
Place: South of Kimberley
Time and date: 11 December 2012 at 21:30
Submitted by: Anon

Report:
I am the pilot of an airline in South Africa, we were flying from JHB to CT at 30000ft. On the horizon, +- 280 degrees west, I noticed a bright star, similar to the brightness of Mars.

The “star” then appeared to move closer to us and its position relative to the aircraft changed allerting us that it was not a star, the shape then morfed into a larger less defined shape and increased in size, almost resembling a cloud with a light source behind it, at this point the light source crossed our path and dissipated in brightness and out of view to the left of us.

Another Aircraft asked air traffic control if there were any aircraft on crossing airways to them who were also on the jhb-ct route and ATC said there were none. Had it been a contrail of an aircraft left behind and the moon been out, the cross section of the cylindrical cloud could have been illuminated giving the impression of an object however there was no moon tonight and the light source stared out been a single well defined light.

Over the years I’ve seen many meteors and predicted comets but this cannot be explained away.

———————————————-

We believe that what Anon saw last night over Kimberley was the same object that was witnessed over Cape Town.

And quite a lot of sightings of last night's phenomena, apparently far more than usual, all relating the same thing.

http://uforsa.co.za/2012/12/ufo-sighting-in-cape-town-5.html

My sister and husband and some friends saw it as well, but said they thought it suspicoius but probably an airplane.

Quote from my sister's e-mail response to the picture posted above that I sent her, with two other non-event pictures, asking her to confirm if either of these three pictures was what they saw (the picture above was in the middle):

Quote:
die middelste foto min of meer ja.
Van waar ons gestaan het was dit baie duideliker en ons kon drie duidelike wit ligte sien.
My vriendin se man het ook gesê dit lyk vir hom ‘n biekie verdag maar niemand van ons het foto’s geneem nie.

Direct quote from her e-mail response to me me.

So I have confirmed that what my sister and her friends saw resembles the picture posted all over the internet. I have also confirmed that a lot of people have reported this sighting, far more than what usually report such sightings to UFO websites.

This is also the second "mass-sighting" in and around CT within a few weeks.

An "Anonymous Pilot" on route from CT to Kby saw something similar last night, shortly after the sightings in CT. Could it be linked? Maybe some of the members here that have contacts at CTIA ATC can confrim if such a report was indeed made by a airline pilot at that time, and if indeed there was a flight over that area mentioned at the time mentioned.

Lots of BS flying around as well. But I believe my own sister would not lie to me, even though she herself is not convinced it is anything untoward, at this point in time. She does not believe in UFO's, etc.

Any other first hand accounts from Cape Town? Kremlin, haven't you been able to snap us a few photies?

Last edited by iamsam on 12 Dec 2012, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 15:27 

I will forever be amused by the phrase
Quote:
do not believe in UFOs

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 15:32 

m4rek wrote:
I will forever be amused by the phrase
Quote:
do not believe in UFOs

You know what I mean, or what she means for that matter. 8)

PS: I edited my previous post, I posted a wrong link before. It's been fixed though.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 15:53 

iamsam wrote:

You know what I mean, or what she means

That might be, but I'm no less amused by it :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 16:07 

http://www.ufonews2012.com/latest/ufo-shadowing-silver-falcons-sa-display-team-12-th-dec-2012-cape-town-203882312.html

Anybody care to comment on this?

Kremlin, Dean, surely you guys were at the memorial service today. Saw anything???? Snapped anything? 8)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 17:47 
Site Admin

iamsam wrote:

What a load of crap ... #-o

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 17:50 

Dean wrote:

Now that's a comment!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 18:05 

m4rek wrote:
Dean wrote:

Now that's a comment!

Seconded! I watched that video clip and I couldn't see anything. Duh!!

The more I look at that photo the more I think its some sort of balloon like what Dunlop used at some or other show a few months ago in Jhb.

The fact that a lot of people saw something at the same time is irrefutable. What it was is open for suggestion.

I spoke to a call centre official at the Weather Buro and they had no anomalies registered for last night. The lady sounded truly surprised when I enquired about it and gave me a number at the meteorological society to make a formal sighting report. She said they often get similar enquiries and are allowed to refer such enquiries to the MSSA.

She was very helpful and friendly.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 21:48 

The 21st of December is near!

Maybe the Mayan's knew then already of landing sites and dates! :shock: :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 22:22 

AT6C wrote:
The 21st of December is near!

Maybe the Mayan's knew then already of landing sites and dates! :shock: :lol: :roll:

:lol

Well, the 21st is close, it seems there is increased ufo activity all over the world, we have floods, runaway veld fires, hail storms, earth quakes, tornados(in SA!!?), the ANC seeming to be on its last legs( remember JZ said they'll govern till Jesus comes) and to me the most convincing evidence that the end is VERY near . . . Riaan Cruywagen went on pension!!! 8-)

Its the end of the world as we know it - Michael Stipe, R.E.M

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 10:05 

Rumour has it down in Slaapstad, that the "UFO" spotted was space debris from the American X37b test craft, entering the atmosphere after it's 10 December 2012 test launch. Not sure if it was just debris, or the actual entire craft.

Some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-37

The thing is, it seems from this website: (http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/10/3750318/us-air-force-x37b-otv3-space) they wanted to re-use this thing, and now it burnt up.

Can't find any media reports yet to confirm this analogy, though.

So if it can be established that this was the explanation (which might just be a cover story to prevent us from knowing that ET landed here on Tuesday and are in negotiations with JZ as we speak :roll: ), then this case cannot be referred to anymore as UFO.

Don't understand why when people hear the term UFO, they immediately think I'm referring to aliens, spaceships and the like. UFO means "UNidentified Flying Object", until its identified, then its just another flying/falling object. :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 10:47 

Found this site :

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread907244/pg3

Good discussion as to the possibility that it was X37b, but in fact only the ignition of engines to re-enter earth atmosphere and not necessarily burning of the craft upon entering.

Podcast from Capetalk, with a Astrologer from Sutherland explaining the phenomena:

http://www.capetalk.co.za/podcast/podcasts.asp

As soon as the Americans confirm re-entry times for their OTV and re-entry plane and position I will update you. As this stage it seems we have nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 00:36 

Dean wrote:

Geminids.