The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Swartkops Airshow 2012
PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 15:25 

Seeing as this is getting closer...

Has anyone any idea on what aircraft we can expect? Entrance fee? Gates open? And is the airshow only the Saturday or the Friday as well? I know it usually is only the Saturday, but I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that the dates are 11 & 12 May...

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 19:19 

the airshow is only on the 12th may and entrance fee is R50 but pre-tickets can be purchased on ticketbreak. under 16 have free entrance. the theme for this year is warbirds centenary! gates open at 6am
not sure what the line up is yet...

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 19:26 

are they going to organise some buses from Gautrain station to swartkop as they did last year?

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 07:17 
Site Admin

Normal train fares apply. Your entry on the Gautrain Bus shuttle is R6 if you have used the train and R20 if you have not used the train.

Train users enjoy a R10 parking fee.

Participants coming from Hatfield, Pretoria, Midrand, Rhodesfield, Sandton, OR Tambo and Marlboro stations using the Gautrain Bus shuttle from Centurion station:

Take the train to Centurion station
Take the Gautrain Bus shuttle to the venue Swartkop - signage and buses will be clearly marked.
Once the event is over, take the Gautrain Bus shuttle back to Centurion station. Hop on to the train to the station where you car is parked.

See http://www.saafmuseum.org/ for full show and transport details.

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 10:09 

There will be lots of warbirds at the airshow,from radials,helo's,jets (no Lightning or Buc) but others.

There will also be a surprise or two,will be shot at dawn if I say what.

The programme changes continually at the moment with aircraft availability,etc..

Geoff

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 18:21 

Will the normal training day still be held this weekend at Swartkops and can anything other than usual be expected there this Saturday?

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 18:34 
Site Admin

There is no flying day this Saturday.

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 19:04 

Thats too bad...thanks. Would've ended up at a very quiet base on Saturday.

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 14:06 

Public will not be allowed to erect any gazebo or tent at the show as this restricts the view for other members of the public.

There are some surprises for the show,one a last operational flight of a certain type of aircraft whereafter the aircraft will land and be based at the museum. :(

Other surprises will be well worth to see.

100 food stalls should satisfy the crowd! :)

Geoff

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 14:31 

AT6C wrote:
Public will not be allowed to erect any gazebo or tent at the show as this restricts the view for other members of the public.

=D> It's fantastic to see this rule being enforced, as far too many South African air show crowd lines feature gazebos against the fence that ruin everyone's view. The approach I saw at Duxford was that spectators were allowed to erect gazebos a certain distance behind the crowd line, but no gazebos, tents or umbrellas were allowed in the main crowd area at all. That worked fairly well.

Quote:
There are some surprises for the show,one a last operational flight of a certain type of aircraft whereafter the aircraft will land and be based at the museum. :(

I have a suspicion about what this might be and it'll be sad to see it grounded, but it's a great idea to make this air show the opportunity to see it for the last time.

Quote:
Other surprises will be well worth to see.

100 food stalls should satisfy the crowd! :)

Geoff

Looking forward to it, you guys at Swartkop haven't disappointed yet.

Out of interest, will there be any reserved seating/grandstands available for purchase?

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 10:27 

Darren not as far as I know, it will be first come first serve......be there early, you wont be disapointed!!!!trust me!but as at6 said..........if we utter a word, its the firing squad at dawn..............but boy what a lineup, and WHAT A SHOW!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> =D> =D> :mrgreen:
:smt023

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 12:36 

Thanks for the reply. Getting early for a seat isn't a problem, I've arrived as the gates open and found space by the fence for pretty much every air show I've been to. It makes the experience so much better.

It's just that I've also fallen in love with enclosed areas like the Jubilee Garden at RIAT where you don't have a mass of people crushing behind you. I think I'm just becoming ever so slightly misanthropic as I grow older. :)

You and AT6C are making this sound incredibly exciting, I can't wait for the show.

PostPosted: 05 May 2012, 12:45 

AT6C wrote:

Hooray !!!

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 10:16 

Please help solve this mystery on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:South_African_Air_Force#Help_needed_to_identify_CSIR_UAV.2FDrone

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:36 

:D :D This i going to be a good show... :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next