The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:17

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 20:35 

So my flight sim joystick, after a month of not using it, went totally haywire. Cant even get in the air anymore...as soon as I lift the nose of the plane she just does a barrel roll right into the ground, and doing the "calibrate joystick" doesnt seem to help at all, I have done it a million times. This happened to anyone else before ? It cost about R250 and only had it for max 2 years now, should I buy a new one, are there any software I can download that will fix it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 23:14 

Don't you have another game control plugged in, I have problems when both my joystick and wheel is plugged in at the same time.

Also, I hate to say it but I haven't had luck with the cheaper joysticks, I mainly stick to Saitek or Logitech, even then it last about two years. Mainly cause of Battlefield, grrrrr...

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 19:13 

Nope, nothing else plugged in. Thanks, Il just get a rather cheap one again that will last me a year. #-o And after that a decent one.

PostPosted: 08 May 2012, 09:03 

Edz, I can seriously suggest (read FORCE) you to by the Logitec Extreme 3D pro. I have my second one now - after even buying a force feedback joystick - trust me, this is the one to go with.
I have beeen flying with it for almost 10 years now (including the 1st). I fly the Alphasim Gripen most of the time in FS9 and FSX, and when I tried the SAAB Gripen simulator at AAD 2010, I adjusted immediately to the Gripen sim. It was just a little more sensitive than my settings, but when I finished, the SAAB staff member said: "That was some impressive flying." , with his Swedish accent.

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 18:30 

Thanks ryno, will definitely go check that joystick out. 10 years ago...you think it will still be in stores ?How much did you pay for it ?

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 15:50 

Depending on where you go, anything between R250 - R350.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 18:22 

I went to the stores this weekend to get me a new joystick and I fell upon the exact one you were talking about ryno. So I bought it :o turned out to be a great joystick \:D/ thanks!

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 12:52 

You are welcome edz! Wish my wife would listen to me every now and then! :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 14:12 

Guys, please help. My joystick has also went haywire. The throttle nozzle has some how intergrated itself with the joystick's ailerons. When I increase throttle, it rolls to the left, and when I decrease it, it rolls to the left. I have to maintain 50% in order to keep it straight. The vibrations also seem to be in active and I've only been using it for less than three months.I've also tried calibration but it doesn't seem to help.any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 16:47 

I have the same problen inno, your joystick is a Eurocase, right?
There is a switch underneath the joystick for vibrations, turn it on.
I don't know how to fix the throttle problem though, I have that problem as well.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 19:51 

If your controller axes are responding correctly in the calibration/hardware settings, remember to check the control bindings of your programs. Check which axis of the controller is which, and check which axis is bound to what control. Also make sure you haven't accidentally bound your mouse to the controls or something.

I know it sounds obvious, but it's the sort of thing you miss if you think you have a hardware fault.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 12:48 

Yep Nathan, that's the one. I was fed up and yesterday I tried fixing it. I found the source of the problem. The reostat that controls the X axis is loose. I tried fixing it and all it took was a piece of plastic and some precious time. Just when everything seemed to be going fine, other problems occured. It was more of a one step forward two steps back. I accidentally tore some wires. Tried putting them back together but it just wasn't the same. I just gave up. I finally resorted to the Logitech Extreme 3D pro. Bought myself one today,although I must say it was a bit more than the price you mentioned Ryno, but it was worth it.