The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:36

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 23:25 

The Lotus Simulation's L-39 is one of the finest models for FS that I have ever flown. While it is not everyone's cup of tea, the model is incredibly detailed and feels very realistic.
One of my first projects was to create a personalized L-39 for myself. It was a simple black and white motive, I mostly copied other schemes, combined them and changed the colors. At that stage I had limited experience with repainting aircraft.

However, I wasn't completely satisfied and was curious how the aircraft would look in the old Impala Mk2 camo scheme. Initially I asked around for assistance, but finally realized that it would actually be rather cool if I was able to paint it myself. After a lot of learning, swearing when I did dumb things (which happened quite a lot in the beginning) and with the help of the paint kit provide by Lotus Simulation I finally managed to come close to my dream. While it almost looks like the correct scheme (especially if you close your eyes and open them just a tiny fraction :lol: ) its not 100% accurate. I also inserted some of my own ideas, like the black canopy.

Feel free to leave comments, advice, suggestions, I still have a lot to learn and would appreciate any feedback.

On a side note, I showed a picture of the black and white L-39 along with a picture of the Hungarian L-39 to various air- and ground crew and all of them preferred the black and white scheme for a private jet. I actually find that fascinating.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 11:24 

I actually took a bunch of detail pics of ZU-JET last weekend.

(I didn't take this pic - just borrowing it from Facebook.)

Unfortunately I could only reach the lower half of the plane (I'm a wheelchair user) and my time was limited - the safety guys could only give me a few minutes due to it being parked right next to the active runway.
The pics are too large to post online (12 Megapixel) so PM me your postal address and I'll send you a CD.

While I'm also on the topic I have a few pics of a PC-7 ejector seat (free-standing, not in a cockpit)

Several detail shots of an ex SAAF Cessna 185

Anyone that wants just PM me your postal.

Photos taken by a beginner using a little mik&druk so please don't expect the pro quality we are so used to seeing here.

Last edited by Roger the Dodger on 10 Jun 2011, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 12:01 

Nice work RaFi096 :smt023

I do agree with you ... I personally prefer a cammo scheme on a aircraft .. I'm grateful to see the old warbirds flying, but the colourful paint schemes don't work for me.

Roger the Dodger wrote:
While I'm also on the topic I have a few pics of a PC-7 ejector seat (free-standing, not in a cockpit) as well as several detail shots of an ex SAAF Cessna 185. Anyone that wants just PM me your postal.

:smt026 :smt026 Yes please .. you still have my email addie ?

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 16:15 

Finally made my camo-repaint available for download:

http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=162521

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 22:14 

Cool repaint RaFi096. I tried to repaint a camo alo III once but it didn't came out nearly as good as your L-39! :smt023