The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:12

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 21:43 

I'm trying to put together a brief summary of all the different "Darter" missiles, but my information is very incomplete.
So far I have:

Designation===Type=======Status==========Note==================================Date=======
V3A-???---------SR-IR--------Obsolete-------------R-550 Magic replacement------------------------1975 Production
V3B-Kukri------SR-IR--------Obsolete-----------Improved Seeker - 1st to use helmet sight?------1979 Production
V3C-Darter----SR-IR--------Obsolete------------Developed from V3B - All-aspect IR Seeker-------198? Production
S-Darter-------BVR-Radar---Experimental?-------Solid-fueled Ramjet - Offered to Pakistan AF?
U-Darter-------???-----------Obsolete
A-Darter-------BVR-Radar---In Development------Shared project with Mectron of Brazil
T-Darter-------BVR-???------Experimental?
R-Darter-------BVR-Radar----Semi-Obsolete-----No longer in production, existing stock available for sale. Not used on Gripen

Which one was a copy of the Python Derby?
Were others also based on other Python models?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 23:09 

Python CopY? We had a V3-S, dubbed the "Snake Missile" but I think it was a direct bought out Python and not a Kentron copy.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 09:27 
Site Admin

Hi Roger

Lots of info on my website: http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforc ... of-service

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 10:40 

Dean wrote:
Hi Roger

Lots of info on my website: http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforc ... of-service

#-o Of course!
Thanks Dean

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 12:54 

Hi Roger/Dean
I might be wrong, but my info would suggest that V3C and U-Darter is in fact one and the same missile. V3x missiles were called Kukri in the early years as these were all copies of the "Sidewinders"-series missiles. V3C was the first fully indigenous development and therefore the name change from Kukri to Darter. This is why V3D/F is now known as A-Darter. The V3x missiles are all "Short range IR guided A-A" missiles, while V4 is "medium Range Radar guided A-A" missiles.
The V3S missile was not a Kentron developed or build missile, but were "bought" from Israel during the arms boycott years in case we had an all out war with the cubans. It was felt that V3B was not up to scratch for SAAF to take on the Mig 23's and V3C was still in its development phase. Thus South Africa acquired the Python missile from Israel.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 16:57 

As an aside, why is everyone not interested in the new Impi missile in development by Denel?
I remember when the A Darter project was announced, the web was filled with forums
about the project. Are people simply not interested or is there not enough info at this point?

Also, did anyone else notice the Denel brochure from AAD this year. They had a schematic showing
the development of our UAV capabilities, but tucked away under a section called "future developments"
or something like that, they had "stealth missiles" and a picture of some sort of stealthy type looking
cad drawing. Can anyone shed some light on this, or is there no real story here?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 17:36 

Roger

Some info extracted from "Jane's Air-Launched Weapons" is on it's way into your inbox.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 19:24 

R-Darter = Derby 'copy' :wink:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 22:03 

Spice wrote:
R-Darter = Derby 'copy' :wink:

Not a copy.

Rather, the South African portion of the joint Israeli/South African project.

In effect, basically the same missile.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 12:46 

Yes L-e you are correct - joint development - same missile.....

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 13:38 
Site Admin

Jusdt received some info that although the missile was a joint venture, the project got seperated at some stage and both parties continued development seperately.

The current Derby is more advanced than the R-Darter in terms of guidance and ECCM. The R-Darter also lacks the rollon fins behind the Derby's main manauvering fins.