The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: The Botswana OK-1 affair
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26 

Hello everybody. This is a topic where I have some lagoons that I hope somebody could help me to find the answers.

At 1430 Hours, 7 August 1988, Botswana’s presidential jet – OK1 – departed from Sir Seretse Khama International Airport for Luanda, Angola. On board were President Quett Masire and a delegation of seven, which included Minister of Presidential Affairs and Public Administration, Ponatshego Kedikilwe, and a crew of three. The delegation was travelling to Angola for a summit of the Frontline States to be held the following day.

They didn’t reach their destination.
At 1632 Hours, at an altitude of 35 000 feet above sea level, there was a loud explosion. As it would turn out, the blast emanated from the right hand engine. The explosion damaged the right side of the fuselage and the right engine was completely separated from the aircraft. What followed can only be described as a feat in aviation. Five minutes after the explosion, the plane was manoeuvred to a safe landing at Cuito, capital of the province of Bie.

You can read the entire article here

Image from ACIG Database.

I'd like to know who was the pilot of that Mig-23, which was its serial number and from which airfield it took off.

Regards

Miguel