The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 23:07 

I've decided to upload some pics of the wings/patches/badges/medals collection thus far:

SAAF wings, Commando wings, SAA wings, Para wings, SAP wings, Task Force wings, Homeland wings. ect.
SAAF squadron patches, Denel program patches, ect.
SAAF squadron patches, Ops patches, ect.
SAAF squadron patches, Ops patches, Course patches, Blazer patches, ect.
SAAF rank shoulderboards, ect.
SADF rank shoulderboards, Company "tupperware" badges, Unit "tupperware" badges, ect.
SADF badges, patches, medals, ect. (some Commando, SANDF and other)

Enjoy.

Last edited by Falcon 1 on 09 May 2010, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Badge collection
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 19:39 

Wow Falcon1 .. Impressive collection you got going there :smt023

What is the C-17 Special Ops "Do it in the Dark" badge ?

Cheers

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 06:46 

Wow, amazing!!! =D> :smt023 =D> \:D/

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 11:52 

What squadron badge is the one on the second photo top left? (The one with the crown and eagle) I have the same bagde and tie with the badge on but I don't know which squadron used it.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 14:17 

That is the pre Republic SAAF badge and not a Squadron badge.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 06:50 

That is a super collection you have there, I'm quite jealous! :mrgreen: Interesting badge "OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM" featuring the old flag?

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 20:17 

What have you used to keep everything in place? Or are they just resting there and staying horizontal?

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 23:32 

From the shadows cast by the flashes, command bars and badges etc their pins have not been pushed into the board so

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 04:22 

Hi guys

Thanks for all the comments. I decided to post these pictures to share my collection with others who would appreciate it just as much as I do. To answer some of the questions:

@ Kremlin: I believe the C-17 patch is American even though I obtained it from South Africa. It's probably from operators of the C-17 Globemaster III and depicts it as the first US cargo aircraft to land on a dirt strip without navigational lights at night using only night vision goggles. When foreign air forces come to visit it's customary for pilots and aircrew to usually swop out squadron patches and gifts in a show of good faith. I also have a USAF F-16 operator's patch that's currently part of another display.

@ Wingman: W407594F is right, It's a pre-Republic SAAF pocket patch with the King's Crown overhead, used before we became indipendent from British rule. These were usually worn during the WWII era and after, and looks the same as the cap and collar badges from the same era.

@ H1017412: :lol: No need to be jealous :wink: . There's a guy in your neck of the woods that makes my collections look like a joke! His name is Roan Gouws, maybe you know him? You can view his militaria here on his website: http://web.mac.com/roanminandi/websites_/Welcome.html . To answer your question about the "Operation Iraqi Freedom" patch: I received this patch from a friend who was a Private Military Contractor in Iraq after the war broke out there. Apparently it was made for them on order from local vendors, and there were variations made with both the 'old' and the 'new' flags, whatever the customer's preference was. These were worn by PMC's from several countries like Australia, the US, Rhodesia, ect. with pride as they did their jobs in the streets of Iraq.

@ Gripen: The display boards aren't mounted yet as there are still several items I still need to find to be satisfied enough with the collection to permanently display them behind glass on the wall. I just store them one placed above the other for easy access when I need to add something new to them. The plan is to eventually cover the surface of the display boards with coloured material before I permanently mount all the badges for display. I'll have to see if I can find some bigger boards or custom make a few for my needs, as I'm running out of space to display what I have on the current ones. #-o

The patches are just resting on the horizontal boards while all the bagdes and wings with pins are just stuck in deep enough to keep them in place temporarily. To give you an idea, this week alone I received some more patches from SA including a 40 Squadron "Machtag" patch from my friend Stephan Botha, a 16 Squadron "Lunar Ops" patch, a 4 Squadron Impala ground crew patch, an Impala "Recce Mech" ground crew patch, another 2 Squadron Cheetah "Tac Recce" patch and a new South African flag shoulder patch. I also won several more patches on auction this week, so I have to warn anyone that reads this thread: "Collecting Militaria in any form or shape IS A TERRIBLE ADDICTION!" :lol:

On that note Heather: Are you perhaps interested in swapping one of your "Excercise Good Hope" patches for a SAAF "1 Squadron" patch that operated Mirage F1's before they were disbanded? :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 07:53 

South Africa became Independent from British Rule in the 1930's when she became a Dominion, the Queen just remained as the Head of State like she is still in Australia, New Zealand etc.

That is why in WWII the SA Parliament declared War on the Axis powers and we did not go automatically to war as we did in 1914 when GB declared War against Germany.

The Crown came off in 1961, because as a Republic the State President became the Head of State.

Hence off came the British Crown. The Natal Regiments though kept the Crown on their Badges. The Crown was just moved and placed on the body of the badge. Prime examples of this are are the Natal Carbineers, Durban Light Infantry and Natal Field Artillery.

Also all Regiments that had been bestowed with the Title Royal lost that entitlement, hence The Royal Natal Carbineers and Royal Durban Light went back to their pre 1935 titles of just NC and DLI and not RNC and RDLI

SA also as a Republic could have remained in the Commonwealth as we are today, just like a number of other States but due to politics of the day SA withdrew as India was pushing for SA to be suspended or pushed out

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 08:00 

Militaria is as bad as any addication that I have to agree with totally.

My own collection is quite vast (more than 10,000 pre 1910 Colonial, UDF, SADF and SA Police items) and at the moment is not mounted any more due to house moves and will remain in storage condition until I am sure we are going to remain at one address for along time.

I will see what I photo's I have of more than one badge and try to post them.

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 22:37 

No, I've never heard of Roan to be honest... Busy checking out his site now. I didn't know that pistol "skiet balkies" were awarded either?

That is a fine, fine collection though... I clearly have a veryyyy long way to go!

EDIT: Correction, I may have actually emailed him once upon a time. I think he might live in Hamilton? If I recall correctly he invited me to come and have a look. I'll try get in contact with him again and see if he remembers me / if the offer is still open.

PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 16:55 

Are you being serious?

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 18:44 

Gripen wrote:
Are you being serious?

@ Gripen: Dead serious...

@ W407594F: I remember buying from you in the past. I've been wondering why you weren't actively selling anymore... but I see we both still buy from Mike Lukich and other similiar dealers. Do you still have the ZALM collar title you had for sale in the past? + Looking forward to seeing some pics of your vast collection as well! \:D/

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 19:52 

I still have that "Z" shoulder badge plus its opposite partner now.

I will be selling off some excess again shortly, but am also doing a book on SA badges etc