The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 11 May 2024, 21:04

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 00:33 

Help required.
I am planning on building a 1/48 Canberra in the Silver/Blue colour scheme used by the SAAF at one time, but unfortunately there are no decent photos or information of this scheme.
Therefore I am asking if anyone has any decent pics/info that could be of assistance?
Thanks.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 00:41 

Might help

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935477-airfix-148-saaf-canberra-bi12/

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 15:11 

Mars wrote:

Many thanks for the link Mars. Will be of help. Just need to find out for definite whether or not it carried the Castle/Springbok insignia and if it did in which positions (fuselage, upper and/or lower main wing surfaces).

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 16:41 
Site Admin

I have never seen that colour scheme in SAAF service before. Either overall Satin Silver, or PRU Blue.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2019, 19:25 

Quote:
with regards to the castles on the wings, I've only been able to find two photos of the High Speed Silver / PRU Blue scheme, and neither of them show the upper surface of the wings. Having said that, one of the photos (bottom of page Page 69 in the book "Canberra in Southern Africa Service" by Michael Hamence and Winston Brent) has a caption that says : "The same Canberra 451 at a later date with a Satin Silver upper surface and Blue undersides, small serial on the tail together with a fin flash and 12 Squadron badge. No Castle insignia carried."

From the thread. I don't have the book so can't comment.

This might not help, here is a model with castles.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/wangb-canberra-p12-all-weather-fighter-t470197.html

Applying logic, the SAAF was obviously looking for a more tactical scheme. PRU Canberra's never had castles, so its likely 451 did not have castles on the fuselage. SAAF fighters generally did not have a mix of markings ie, castles on the wings but not the fuselage. (I know though that there are examples of this). So its safe to assume that the SAAF was probably consistent in this regard, again especially if they were in fact evaluating a new scheme.
However, I doubt they resprayed a new silver so the probably just removed the top wing castles if at all. So there is chance that the castles did remain for a while. All speculation though.

From a modelling perspective it would be safe to go with or without the castles, the problem though is that without it does look a little bare.

So its your call.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 07:24 

Mars wrote:
I don't have the book so can't comment.

I took look last night at my copy and the only photo in there is from the left side of the aircraft. Black and white, but it clearly shows the PRU Blue and silver scheme. No Insignia on fuselage. Cannot see on top of the wings though.

If needed i can scan the pic in and post.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 11:35 

HP_Exarkun wrote:
Mars wrote:
I don't have the book so can't comment.

I took look last night at my copy and the only photo in there is from the left side of the aircraft. Black and white, but it clearly shows the PRU Blue and silver scheme. No Insignia on fuselage. Cannot see on top of the wings though.

If needed i can scan the pic in and post.

Hi HP_Exarkun.
Many thanks for the offer to scan the picture, but no need as I have this book as well as the 'On wings of Eagles' which has the colour photo.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 11:45 

Awesome,

I knew there was a color photo somewhere just couldn't remember where. Now to go check my Wings on Eagles book

I actually would like to build this scheme as well,

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 07:07 
Site Admin

From a friend of mine (cheetah one):
Quote:
The Canberra this chap wants to build did wear this colour scheme. It was only used on 451 as an experimental finish before the wrap around PRU blue was adopted. 

I saw the aircraft myself at Waterkloof in 1970, a long time before the Guptas plane arrived.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 19:02 

vulcanmx

No Castle insignia carried, only the fin-flash with the 12 Sqn badge and 8" high numerals on the vertical stab.

Geoff

PS A new book of the Canberra in SAAF service is looming on the horizon by Winston

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2019, 21:24 

AT6C wrote:
vulcanmx

No Castle insignia carried, only the fin-flash with the 12 Sqn badge and 8" high numerals on the vertical stab.

Geoff

PS A new book of the Canberra in SAAF service is looming on the horizon by Winston

Hi AT6C
Many thanks for the info.
Re new books on the SAAF. These are not easy to obtain in the UK. In fact any book on the Rhodesian or the South African forces are difficult to get as the bookshops over here do not stock them. They will only order in if you request by title, author and where possible the ISBN number. Also we do not get any info re publishing dates or when they become available over in SA.

Trust you had a great Christmas and a good 2020 building models.

Phil

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2019, 07:07 

Vulcanxm607

I will send you a pm

Geoff