The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: The SAAF in sketches
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 16:42 

As the title suggests I have this habit of doing some sketches in my free time. Being a fast mover guy and a bit of an patriot means the subjects are usually SAAF fast jets. The collection is still relatively small, but slowly I am adding them as the inspiration comes and the time allows!

The quality varies as each time I learn new techniques and gain more understanding in matching light and shadows etc. :lol:

But let's get to pictures! \:D/

1975 - 1992: Mirage F1CZ - "Vlamgat!"

Being a true rivet counter when it comes to drawing, creating the final shape takes most of the time. The colour profile in this one was a bit messed up... I initially wanted to portray 201 with "Kmdt. Willie Hartogh" written on the nose. The F1's air superiority scheme showed plenty variation and unknowingly I erroneously matched up more than one when referencing schemes... I won't tell if you won't! :wink: As you can see, eventually I decided the nose art was beyond me and I went to a standard F1CZ scheme and antennae array post '88. Titled "Vlamgat!" because - well, we all know why...

1993 - 2008: Cheetah C - "Vlaggie"

Vlaggie portrayed in colours she is not known for. I specifically wanted to do 370 in a colour scheme and antennae fit of the Cheetah C's circa 1995, and that is exactly what I did! This one was plenty fun in terms of research and she is the earliest of the bunch too!

Alternative history...
2000 - present: Carver

Carver is well known around here and I have shared this one previously too in the Carver thread. This was the first sketch where I had to work with no reference photo which really taught me a few things regarding shadows etc. I also opened the door to my own creative placing of the subject on the page. She was also great fun as no reference material exists so artistic licence could be used freely where online sketches and models were either unclear or known to be incorrect of the final model. Feel free to provide the necessary documents that show any errors in the final shape. :smt023

Snap back to reality...
2008 - present: Gripen C - "Spartan"

Just completed not a day ago! She was a difficult one. Not only is the Gripen actually one hectically complex aircraft with regards to aerodynamic shape, but I also wanted to do a max G pull-up (slightly bendy wings with fluff!). Again, I used the experience gained from Carver in placing the aircraft in an orientation of my choice. This made setting up of colours and shadows rather complicated, but I am well pleased with the result. The fluff was also a new challenge but I think it adds loads to the final result. I titled this one "Spartan" as a tribute to Maj. Geoffrey Cooper and the very fine work he has been doing in representing the Flying Cheetahs and the SAAF the past few years.

As always, comments and constructive criticism is welcomed! You can only improve when you learn from mistakes, or new techniques are revealed to be used in the next project. :roll:

That's all for now folks! :D

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

Post subject: Re: The SAAF in sketches
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 21:03 

Goodwork mamba :smt023 =D>

Post more!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2019, 22:01 
Site Admin

Wow, fantastic artwork Mamba! =D> =D> =D>

Look forward to more, I may even commission you. :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 21:15 

Thank you very much for the kind words Mars and Dean! :D

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 17:43 

:smt023

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2019, 09:43 

That's really really good.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2019, 22:18 

Very evocative drawings :smt023 .

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 20:55 

I guess a long overdue update is in order here? :roll:

Life has been busy and even within lockdown we find things that keep us away from our hobbies. The fact that I got fed up with this one and placed it away and out of sight for a few weeks to re-gather motivation should perhaps be accounted for too... But anyway, here is the latest addition to the family:

1965 - 1991: Buccaneer S.Mk 50 - "Pirate!"

The Buccaneer needs no introduction to those here. An impressive machine especially when stood next to her! I also got involved with the Buccaneer 416 restoration team at the start of this year which proved a great source of inspiration. Nothing better than to reference the real macoy! Althou the Coof made sure that luxury was rather short lived. :(
Getting her curves "right" gave me plenty headaches and I nearly did bin the project at one stage, but I persevered (after a wee break) and the end result is what you see. I'm rather pleased with how she came out. I have a deep love for the Bucc and she really does look impressive among her siblings on the wall. :D

Now on to the next one! I already have an idea and the accumulation of reference material has also started... :wink:

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 21:34 
Site Admin

Glad you persevered, she came out great. =D> :smt023

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2020, 17:15 

That's :smt023 :D . Hint of condensation on wings as it should be =D>