The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 12 May 2024, 23:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 13:55 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Having got a good contact in Mozambique working on the recent flood disaster (and it is very bad), I have decided to sell some of my SAAF & aviation book collection to support the relief efforts there, especially as I know the money will be going directly to where it is needed.

I am selling these books locally in Simon's Town area, so it will be cash & collect basis. Amongst the books in the photos below, you will see a rare copy of Chasing the Wind...signed by Kenneth van der Spuy (we visited him in the early days of the Friends of the SAAF Museum) and an extremely rare copy of the South African WAAF.

I have not set any prices and I am genuinely prepared to let these go. Just bare in mind I am looking to raise funds for the Moz Flood Relief as stated above, so please no silly offers. This is probably a golden opportunity for someone to get that missing book for their collection or for enthusiast to kick start their own book collection. Please contact me via PM if genuinely interested. Click on pic to enlarge. Doug

EDIT UPDATE: 'Last by not Least' and 'Buffoon in Flight' on Reserve for Buyer) BOTH NOW SOLD.

EDIT UPDATE 2: 'South African WAAF' on reserve for a Buyer Update...SOLD

EDIT UPDATE 3: 'Flying Cheetahs in Korea' on reserve for a Buyer SOLD
EDIT UPDATE 4: 'Chasing the Wind" by Kenneth vd Spuy' SOLD

EDIT UPDATE 5: South African Airways presents 50 Years of Flight.... Edit: 1st April 2019 SOLD

Last edited by Doug on 01 Apr 2019, 10:11, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 16:35 

I have edited in some more books to the above posting. Some details of some of the above books:

Wingfield by Gerry De Vries....is numbered 1107 of 1500 produced.

Viscount Down by Keith Nell (SAS) is a signed copy.

Mirage by Jack Gee...1971 is quite interesting as besides the history of the Mirage III is covers the SAAF selection of it vs the Starfighter and IFR requirements by SAAF. Edit 1st April 2019 SOLD

Buffoon in Flight - 1st Edition 1978 (EDIT UPDATE: ON RESERVE FOR BUYER) UPDATE....SOLD

Border Strike - 1st Edition 1983 Willem Steenkamp

On Eagles Wings - 1st Edition 1976 personal story of Leading Commander Israel Air Force, Ezer Weizman. UPDATE: ON RESERVE FOR A BUYER .Update SOLD

If anyone is interested in early Aeronautics, there is a 4 volume set of Newtons Aeronautics.

Last edited by Doug on 01 Apr 2019, 10:11, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 17:39 
Site Admin

Very nice thing you're doing Doug. =D>

Some really nice books there, I would have jumped at the opportunity if I did not already have them. :smt023

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 19:06 

Thanks Dean....something that was really laid on my heart and I felt I needed to do... and it looks like the first book on the WAAF is sold.

Also have a really nice book to add to the list which may trigger interest:

The Story of No.1 Squadron SAAF by Capt Vivian Voss, MBE First Edition 1952. Edit April 1, 2019 SOLD