The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 09:31 

agreeed" :P

Rynopot is right

i'd definately wanna do transport at the airforce lemme see 13yrs right ?
2nd Lieutenant, Lieutenant(2yrs), captain(next 3yrs), major(maybe 5yrs) and then...Lieutenant Colonel(there after)... wow by then everybody is just saluting you like crazy ...stretching their little bodies... i honestly and truely doubt you would wanna leave the airforce by then you'd have a mega salary!!!
well unless saa offers me double the salary as a long haul captain...with mega hours ofcause...
point is guys the airforce is fun,,,once you have the status \:D/

halla :smt023

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 16:35 

Question: how long would it take to acheive the rank of Major? I ask because a chopper friend was with the SAAF for 16 years and made it to Major, and while chatting to an ex-SAAF veteran, he asked why she didn't just stay a bit longer and get to Lt. Col. . Could we maybe get a breakdown of the ranking system and how long it would take one to move through the ranks? [-o<

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 19:58 

Rank structure was revised and with effect 1 Jan 2008 the following now stands:
2Lt - 2 years
Lt - 6 years
Capt - 4 years
Maj - until you have done the Junior staff course and carried the rank for 4 years (If I remember correctly)

So basically you'll complete your 13 yr contract having carried the rank of major for one year.

The higher ranks come with certain posts. You won't just be promoted because you've "served you time". There has to be a post available. Promotional courses are a pain as they are live-in courses that last months. You don't fly while you on course and afterwards you are eligible for management roles which again take you out of the cockpit!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 10:43 

So it's a weigh up between flying hours and extra money pretty much... :-(
Is there a big salary difference betwen the ranks?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 13:23 

Tweety wrote:
:lol:
Rynopot- I enjoy your enthusiasm. The tactical/operational flying that the SAAF does is awesome and beats the "Take-off, autopilot,land" routine of the airlines but flying 10 hours a month? Come on, after your 13 yrs you have less than 2000 hrs just enough to get your ATP? I'm sure the airlines are dying to have such um... experianced pilots! :roll:

Ok Tweets, Ya Sext Thang,
You bring me a civvie pilot, that paid for his/her own CPL, with that many hours...
Airlines will take SAAF pilots with 500 hours before a civvie with 1000...

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2010, 19:40 

howsit guys! i'm new to the forum and still in school but researching in huge amounts careers in aviation. i read that as a 2lt you earn in the region of R12 000 a month. could someone give details of what you earn as you go through the ranks (lt, captain, major etc) as well as anything i missed? thanks in advance! and good luck to anyone applying :smt023

...\..../´¯.I.¯`\./..../
.../... I....I..(¯¯¯`\/
..I.....I....I...¯¯.\...\
..I.....I´¯.I´¯.I..\...)
..\.....` ¯..¯ ´.......'
...\_________.•´

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 20:21 

Raeflyer wrote:
could someone give details of what you earn as you go through the ranks (lt, captain, major etc)

Flyerboy wrote:
So it's a weigh up between flying hours and extra money pretty much... :-(
Is there a big salary difference betwen the ranks?

Hey Flyerboy!
How's it going with your application?

http://www.dod.mil.za/news/news2010/mar ... 3%2014.pdf

Thats just the basic salary, pilots then also get MACIP which is in the region of R10000 at LT level.
:-D

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 22:33 

Hey :-) Thats not nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Im actually going on the young falcons camp this holidays :-) I plan on getting my skippers license next year and doing some work on yaughts after which I will be applying, hopefully succesfully :-)
To be totally honest, its been a tough year ( got my Springbok scout badge, head boy of my school and just maintaining an A average - all for my CV for the airforce!) and so a year on the ocean will give me time to get myself ready to join the SAAF, with a skippers license behind my name, and a little bit of life experience, as Cliched as that may sound. Make no mistake however, I fully intend to join, and work my way up through the ranks :-)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3