The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 14:26 
Site Admin

AT6C wrote:
Dean, can you perhaps help here?

You have an email. :wink: :smt023

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 21:38 

AT6C wrote:
tobiK,

6862 would also be an option as the numeral 6 is the same as the numeral 9 in the SAAF number font environment,however I don't know how accurate the decals are as the font on some of them is horrendously incorrect!

I ordered decals from MAV, I absolutely hope they are correct!?

AT6C wrote:
Dak 6829 had a sharper shape to the nose to accommodate the extra equipment, not the same shape as the standard Dak.

I realized the same looking at the pics. While surfing the net, I found a resin nose to solve that problem:
[url]https://www.lonestarmodels.com/store/p_531155/lsm-480706-long-nose-for-1-48-c-47
[/url]

AT6C wrote:
Flare gun shute above the small cockpit door,higher up at approx 3/4 way up on the fuselage side.
Geoff

Hmm, sorry...no idea what you are talking about?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 21:55 
Site Admin

Just received around 120 photos from AT6C, will let you know once I've put most of them into the Gallery. 8)

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 00:23 

Now interior painted. Next step i closing the fuselage. Windows for toilet and nav.rom added. But what is the thing about the flare shot hole??

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 11:03 
Site Admin

Detailed exterior and interior photos of the SAAF Museum's C-47 Dakota 6869 have been upload to the website Gallery section.

Please thank AT6C (Geoff). =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2019, 17:15 

That's absolutely awesome! Thanks Geoff and Dean! OK, meanwhile I made some minor mistakes but will not correct it because it will not be visible (or very hard) later. But I will add some more detail in the rear end of the cargo room and will redo the cargo doors.
Very obvious to see is the lights in the nose! I have to make them before closing the fuselage.
You are right, the sound absorbing material is very dark green! But again, so hard to see later. Leaving the small side door open is an option when you work on the Trumpeter kit.
The main wheel rims have a total different shape than the ones in the kits. And I see: they are painted in a white, or dirty-creamy white. On the right side the brake caliper.
The dust cover over the oleos is a nice detail, too! I will try that.
The exhausts are also different: will try to use the ones from quickboost and adapt it.
Engine: I will go with Quickboost ones, they are very good for the money and fit well. And they are correct for the C-47 unlike the Aires engine (only for Wildcats, not for Dakotas).

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2019, 21:08 

Dean wrote:
AT6C wrote:
Dean, can you perhaps help here?

You have an email. :wink: :smt023

Hi AT6C & Dean

Thank you for the photo's and the gallery.

What is the current status of 6859?
Will we see her fly again?

AT6C wrote:
6892 was taken on strength again by the SAAF in 1989 and as such didn't do any service, if any in the border war.
Previously 6892 served as 6849 for a very limited period as she was disposed of after WW2.

Can we clarity on this?

In Herman Potgieter's Book Aircraft of the South African Airforce, Dakota 6892 is prominently featured. The book was first published in 1980.

However in Winston Brent's book Douglas C-47 Dakota in SAAF Service, he indicates that 6849 left the SAAF in 1945 as 6849 and re-entered SAAF service as 6892 in 1988.

So the question is was the tail number 6892 issued twice?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2019, 10:51 

Meanwhile I try to correct the main wheels. The SAAF Daks have different rims and a disc brake, too (to see on the right side of the wheels). I found the wheels of a Tamiya A-1 Skyraider and the rims have the exact same diameter. So I matched the A-1 rims with the Monogram tires. It looks much closer to the original now but I know it is still not 1:1 accurate.

To the oleos of the MLG I added the canvas dust cover.

Resin engines from Quickboost are prepared and I added more details: ignition wires and the white ring you can see (QB missed to cast that ring where the wires are distributed to the spark plugs), also the push rods made of stretched black sprue. The QB engines are way better than the kit parts and have enough detail already. Near the Vector resin engines they are the only accurate engines for the Dak.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2020, 23:04 

After a long break now back on the workbench. Closed the fuselage and worked on all the antennas on the roof and underneath the nose but did not fix all now. To dangerous to break it the next time. Also found that over the radio compartment and on the bottom there are position lights. Cockpit window glued in but there the fit is not so nice.
Next step was to join the fuselage with the wing. Of course there were gaps to fill and I used epoxy putty from magic sculp. One big advantage is that it does not shrink and it can be smoothed out with water! Taking a brush and cotton buds for this job. So I do not need to sand the putty and destroy the raised panel lines. Such putty is first choice when it comes to build monogram kits!
But there are still panel lines that will be lost because of sanding esp. on the bottom. I will make them by engraving. It is a compromise for me and I like that better than having an even surface.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2020, 08:35 
Site Admin

Welcome back! :smt023