The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Exercise Atlasur XI 2018
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 14:16 
Site Admin

3 September 2018: Defence

Quote:
Exercise Atlasur XI begins

Exercise Atlasur XI 2018, the multinational biennial maritime exercise between South Africa, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina, commenced in Simon’s Town on 31 August.

The eleventh iteration of the exercise is scheduled to take place from 31 August to 21 September. Argentina will not participate in this year’s exercise, ostensibly due to financial constraints. Similarly, both Brazil and Uruguay have only sent one vessel each.

According to the South African Navy, this year’s theme is “Combined we are combating illegal trade (human, drug & arms).” The exercise will aim to maintain, promote and build on previous operational and tactical co-operation between the countries’ Joint Forces.

Amongst others these will include training of military personnel and the testing of joint/combined doctrine, focussing on standard operating procedures, inter-operability in a multinational simulated environment and testing sustainment during a period of high demand. The exercise will also provide Joint Force Preparation Training to SANDF elements.

Captain (SAN) HT Matsane, the Joint Task Force Commander, said that the exercise is intended to measure the participants training and standards, to see if they can work together.

“It will measure the South African standard, where we are compared to other countries in the world and also give us time to train, so we can have interoperability SOPs (Standard operating Procedures) so we can work together any time,” he said.

This is the fourth time that Captain SB Ozorio, Commander Task Force for Brazil, is participating in an Atlasur exercise. He said that it is very important to exchange experiences. In 2015, the Brazilian frigate Barroso took part in a six-month deployment off Lebanon as the flagship of the Maritime Task Force (MTF) of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL).

“We have something to show, to exchange with the South Africans and Uruguayans,” Ozorio explained, “The biggest reason to come here is to exchange our experiences, to improve our skills and methods of training and to learn and to teach here in South Africa.”

Ozorio noted that every Atlasur exercise is a different experience, an opportunity to know people and to make contacts.

The Commander Task Force for Uruguay, Captain C Corraco, emphasised that the South American countries were maritime neighbours of South Africa and that it is very important for the three navies to maintain their skills.

“We have a lot of things we do together. We have a common border in the middle of the sea. But for me, the most important thing is to meet people. If I need something, I need to know who to talk to in the South African Navy.”

Under the direction of Exercise Director Brigadier General G Lategan, the first phase of the exercise consists of courtesy calls, with the period 5 September consisting of the final planning conference for the sea phase, integration in the harbour, checking equipment and seamanship in harbour.

The Sea Phase 1 will take place from 6 September to 9 September in False Bay. The following five days will include a live firing scenario in the False Bay area and off the West Coast, followed by a rest period in harbour.

Sea Phase 2, from 17 September, will see the Uruguayans return home, whilst the South Africans and Brazilians continue with conventional maritime warfare at sea.

Following the conclusion of Exercise Atlasur XI on 21 September, the Brazilians will undertake a diplomatic visit to Maputo before returning to Simon’s Town on 1 October for the commencement of Exercise Ibsamar, conducted between South Africa, Brazil and India.

The SA Navy, as the lead service of the host country, will be providing most of the participating assets. This includes the frigate SAS Amatola, hydrographic survey vessel SAS Protea, submarine SAS Manthatisi and the Maritime Reaction Squadron assets (boats, reaction force, divers and boarding).

The South African Air Force is providing a C-47TP maritime surveillance aircraft, an Oryx medium transport helicopter and two fighters, thought to be Hawks, whilst the South African Military Health Service is represented by 1 Medical Task Group.

Brazil will be represented by the frigate BNS Barroso with an AS350 Ecureuil helicopter and 1 Platoon Special Forces, whilst Uruguay is represented by the ROU General Artigas replenishment vessel and a Visit, Board, Search and Seizure (VBSS) team.

Whilst the Task Group will consist of one force, the participants will be divided into a Blue and a Red force to make the exercise more realistic, but not one country against the other.
web

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 14:35 

Frigate BNS Barroso with a AS350 Ecureuil helicopter nice.hopefully someone can get some pictures of it.

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 16:50 

Nice one Dean. Did you manage to get on board either vessel? The Uruguayan vessel is an old lady. Would be great to see what she looks like inside.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 17:13 
Site Admin

I had a very quick visit to the Barroso. Captain Ozorio invited me back for a full tour, but work (and replacing my laptop and improving home security after being hit by the crowbar gang on Wednesday) is taking way too much of my time. :(

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018, 08:46 
Site Admin

Friday started off with a dark 05:00 transit by Namakura to Amatola in the Bay and ended with a 23h00 Lima boat hoist down the side of Amatola and back to the small boat harbour in total darkness. An extremely long and tiring day, longer than expected and thus have to spend time with family before I can write reports and prococess photos.

Post subject: Re: Seen in the Bay
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018, 13:22 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Sunday...a day of rest. Atlasur XI participant ships/boat. Click on photo to see larger pic.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 18:58 

Nice pic Doug. Sub's rather close to the rocks...

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 19:00 

Looking forward to report and photos :smt023

What are the angled rods protruding from the gun platform ?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 20:55 

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that they're to stop any foreign objects on the deck being blown into a traversing gun / getting stuck in its mechanism?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 21:25 

Mistral wrote:

Hi Mistral....no not at all. In fact that is a small yacht that sailed by that you are seeing in the pic. :D Maybe my pics are too small when uploaded in this way? Also one of the factors with a zoom lens, and taking pics from quite a distance is the perspective as well when everything compresses. For example where the light house features (in other pics) I am generally 2.2nm (4.1km) away at home, but zoom distorts perspective. I was recently tracking a sea search for a surf skier this past week and my pics were showing rescue boat far out to sea, but in fact on AIS it was relatively close to shore.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 08:29 

Even a distant plane in this pic from CT International.

Interesting colour scheme (Aggressor aircraft for exercise?) Extremely distant & cropped photo

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 08:34 

Yes, It's being used as part of the exercise. Simulating air attacks.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 13:55 

Hi Dean,
Why can I not see your pictures?
Shows only a small square with the word Image next to it?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 18:23 

Quote:
What are the angled rods protruding from the gun platform ?

Those 'rods' are support structures for fencing/netting (which I see is not currently there).
It has a dual purpose:
1. To prevent the shells from rolling around on deck after firing the gun, and
2. To keep crew clear

Found this photo online (hopefully it attaches to the post as I am unable to post pictures for some reason)

If not:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/military/navy/frigates/sas_isandlwana_f-146_07_dvdb07.JPG

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018, 19:39 

Doug wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Hi Mistral....no not at all. In fact that is a small yacht that sailed by that you are seeing in the pic. :D Maybe my pics are too small when uploaded in this way? Also one of the factors with a zoom lens, and taking pics from quite a distance is the perspective as well when everything compresses. For example where the light house features (in other pics) I am generally 2.2nm (4.1km) away at home, but zoom distorts perspective. I was recently tracking a sea search for a surf skier this past week and my pics were showing rescue boat far out to sea, but in fact on AIS it was relatively close to shore.

Oops :oops: . No issues with your photos. It's my failing eyesight and lack of attention to detail :?