The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:11

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Gripen over FAWK
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 06:57 

Mistral wrote:
Just had a nice Gripen afterburner display over Centurion. Heading north for Louis Trichardt on FlightRadar now. SAAF parade ? Alouettes buzzing around earlier.

What was the Call Sign? So you mean to tell me that countries don't need radars anymore, you can just use FlightRadar24 now? LOL?

Do you have the old version that shows speed and altitude as well?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 15:11 

Hi Rynopot.

After the Gripen headed north I checked on FlightRadar and there was an unidentified aircraft cruising at around 450knots heading straight for Louis Trichardt. So I assumed that was the Gripen. The C-130BZs do show up on FlightRadar as C-130s. ZS-RSA also shows up on FlightRadar - I had a chuckle a while back when the DA were asking questions about the president's movements and use (abuse) of VIP jets and the Minister of Defense answered that this type of information was not open for public debate !!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 16:04 
Site Admin

Mistral wrote:
ZS-RSA also shows up on FlightRadar - I had a chuckle a while back when the DA were asking questions about the president's movements and use (abuse) of VIP jets and the Minister of Defense answered that this type of information was not open for public debate !!

Remember that Zuma still does not use ZS-RSA, so technically the BBJ flights on FR24 are not his movements.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 15:31 

Dean wrote:
Mistral wrote:
ZS-RSA also shows up on FlightRadar - I had a chuckle a while back when the DA were asking questions about the president's movements and use (abuse) of VIP jets and the Minister of Defense answered that this type of information was not open for public debate !!

Remember that Zuma still does not use ZS-RSA, so technically the BBJ flights on FR24 are not his movements.

It was a few years back when he was still using it. We tracked it departing from Durbs. We were at ORT spotting aeries. We rushed through on the R21 to FAWK and got some nice pics of it landing.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 07:06 

Mistral wrote:
Hi Rynopot.
After the Gripen headed north I checked on FlightRadar and there was an unidentified aircraft cruising at around 450knots heading straight for Louis Trichardt. So I assumed that was the Gripen. The C-130BZs do show up on FlightRadar as C-130s. ZS-RSA also shows up on FlightRadar - I had a chuckle a while back when the DA were asking questions about the president's movements and use (abuse) of VIP jets and the Minister of Defense answered that this type of information was not open for public debate !!

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. I find it a high security risk that military fighters can be tracked like that.
I am a firm believer in "if I disagree, to give an alternative" - but in this case I have no idea what aircraft that could've been. From FR24:
Quote:
Blocking
For security and privacy reasons information about some aircraft is limited or blocked. This includes most military aircraft and certain high profile aircraft, like Air Force One.

Maybe it was one of the privately owned jets flying in more or less the same location.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 10:01 

Rynopot, could have been another aerie. I made the assumption on the basis of an aircraft departing FAWK airspace heading towards Louis Trichardt / Makhado at a speed commensurate with a Gripen cruising back home. May very well have been something else.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 13:03 

Mistral wrote:
Rynopot, could have been another aerie. I made the assumption on the basis of an aircraft departing FAWK airspace heading towards Louis Trichardt / Makhado at a speed commensurate with a Gripen cruising back home. May very well have been something else.

I am not 100% sure how FR24 works, but the "How it Works" did say that military aircraft is excluded. If you were zoomed in on Waterkloof, and you could see by location that it may have been that Gripen: then FR24 is giving away VERY sensitive information...

:shock:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 14:15 

Just because it's a fighter does not ipso facto mean that absolutely every litle thing it does is neccesarily a secret. If that were true then it would be illegal to even look at an air force base.

When opsec actually does require a flight to be "obscure" the plane will simply switch off its transponder which will make it invisible to normal civil aviation radars, and thus also the FlightRadar app.

Last edited by Roger the Dodger on 03 Mar 2018, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 19:40 

C-130BZ just been doing circuits on FlightRadar.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 20:44 

Also Global 6000 just landed at FAWK. Wonder who that is ?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 22:27 

And now a Challenger 850 ZS-ZOR. Busy night at FAWK.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 07:49 

Mistral - how are you viewing FR24? On the new website I don't get altitudes and speeds anymore.
the App or website?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 13:17 

Hi Rynopot.

I use the FR24 app which I paid around R200 for. I have it loaded on my iPad and cell phone - oddly though, the two look a bit different. They both give all the details relating to altitude/ ground speed, track etc.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 08:40 

Mistral wrote:
Hi Rynopot.

I use the FR24 app which I paid around R200 for. I have it loaded on my iPad and cell phone - oddly though, the two look a bit different. They both give all the details relating to altitude/ ground speed, track etc.

Thanx buddy, I had a quick look at the available packages on their website. Will to have get it. Using FR24 without the speeds and altitudes, just doesn't make sense.

By the way, I saw two planes over West Coast on Friday which was suspiciously looking like it could have been Astras. So I guess we can see them when they have the transponders switched on. So i am going to give you that Gripen tracked. I'll stop being so bloody stubborn... :oops: