The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 14:16 

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about joining the SAAF, mainly concerning eyesight.

Last year, at the Rand Show, I went to the SAAF stand to get information about joining. On the leaflet they gave me, it said that applicants have to have 6/6 eyesight without contacts, glasses or laser surgery. However, it did not say Ortho-K lenses are not allowed. Ortho-K seems to be a good choice, because it corrects eyesight temporarily. Does using this disqualify applicants? If it does, is there any way around this eyesight requirement? Will regulations ever change?

Another question. Provided that Ortho-K is allowed and eyesight is no longer an issue, would it be better to get a CPL first, and after that join the SAAF? And how many flying hours can be accumulated in the AF? Would the flying hours from here be enough to get an ATPL and later join the airlines?

Also, is it worth going the airforce route simply to pursue a dream, financially speaking? Or is it better to give up on the dream for financial security?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 00:39 

Hey again guys!

I hope I'm not being a nuisance by posting again, but I have a quick question.

I have noticed that many questions about eyesight are unanswered on this forum, I'm just wondering why?

I really don't mean to be rude, It's just out of curiosity.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 07:16 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the SAAF and SANDF are not proactive in interacting with potential recruits via this website and social media ... a great opportunity lost.

I cannot speak on behalf of the SAAF, but they do state that you must have 6/6 vision, in other words, not have need of spectacles, contact lenses or laser 12 correction. I would imagine that Ortho-K will fit into this category and is not allowed.

Joining the SAAF and being a military pilot in South Africa must be a passion, something you want to do above all else. You certainly will not be doing it for the money and hours will be built up slowly compared to those doing commercial flying. However, those hours you do fly will be the best, exhilarating, strenuous, exhausting and stimulating hours you'll ever fly! Hours for hour, the military hour will be provide far more experience than that obtained flying commercially for any young pilot.

You want to be financial secure? Find another profession. :wink:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 13:09 

Thanks! I really appreciate the information.

Sadly, being passionate isn't enough in this instance.

Oh well, life :(

And thanks again!