The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:53

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 14:34 

rynopot wrote:
Airfire wrote:
Cape Town is full of tree huggers..there will always be complaints..I remember in 2008 from the lighting..many complaints from SPCA and many dog owners..at least it will be not close to Langebaan town..Langebaan AFB is a training facility so to my knowledge they dont need permissions..
There is really not that many trees in the west Coast... :wink:

:lol: you right..and I hope less huggers too

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 18:13 
Site Admin

Quote:
Final countdown for large Cape airshow

By Dean Wingrin

With a bye-line of “See It, Hear It, Feel It,” aviation enthusiasts are eagerly awaiting the opening of the gates for the AFB Langebaanweg and Silver Falcon 50th Anniversary Airshow this Saturday, December 9.

The last airshow held at AFB Langebaanweg was in 1995 during the 75th anniversary celebrations of the South African Air force. Situated just over an hours’ drive north of Cape Town, this highly anticipated event is an integral part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of the SA Air Force’s (SAAF) Silver Falcons aerobatic team.

Enthusiasts will be able to see virtually all the types operated by the air force. The line-up for the West Coast airshow includes the Pilatus PC-7 Mk II’s of the Silver Falcons the type operated by the locally based Central Flying School, Rooivalk, Oryx, Super Lynx and Agusta A109 helicopters, Cessna C208, Casa C212, C-47TP TurboDak and C-130 Hercules.

Providing much of the hearing and feeling component, the jet pride of the SAAF will also be in attendance, with four Hawk trainers and seven Gripen fighters. The Gripen will, in a South African first, break the sound barrier in front of the public at an airshow.

Not to be outdone, the Rooivalk attack helicopter will be shooting flares, whilst 18 Pilatus PC-7 Mk II turboprop trainers will perform a mass flypast.

Civilian aerobatic teams and aircraft will also be in attendance, including the Harvards of the Puma Flying Lions team, the RV7, RV8 and RV9 of the Raptors, Aero L-39 Albatros, the Nashua Extra 300, a Boeing 737-800 of Mango airlines, Slick 540, Atlas Impala Mk1, Cirrus and Extra 300 of Team Extreme, Antonov An-2 (Little Annie), Diamond DV20 Katana, the AMS Eurocopter EC145.

Working on Fire/Kishugu Aviation will demonstrate their wildfire fighting capabilities with their UH-1 Huey, AT-802 water bomber and Cessna C206 spotter aircraft. Show organisers are also expecting to have skydivers and radio-controlled aircraft present.

Static displays of aircraft and classic cars will be complemented by the Silver Falcons stand where the public will be able to meet and interact with members of Team 81. There will also be food and refreshment stalls, a beer tent, memorabilia stalls and ATM facilities.

Entrance tickets are R90 per adult, with children under twelve free and are available from Computicket, the kiosk in Shoprite / Checkers and at the gate on the day.

Note that umbrellas, gazebos, alcohol and braais of any kind are not allowed. Chairs, blankets and picnic baskets are welcome. Disabled parking and a shuttle service is available for those who require assistance.

Gates open at 0700 and the show starts at 0900. Finish at about 1700.

As seasoned airshow spectators, we at defenceWeb remind all visitors to bring their cameras, lots of batteries, hat and suntan lotion.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2017, 20:02 

looks like its going to be a good one.

What are the chances of it becoming a regular event?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 09:56 

MARS wrote:
looks like its going to be a good one.

What are the chances of it becoming a regular event?

Don't think the Falcons turning 50 is going to be THAT regular. I was asked by someone when the next airshow at Ysterplaat will be, and I replied: 2030 if we're lucky.

I love Langebaan as a venue - we can have a jet going supersonic without asking permission (I think); and it is an hour's drive from CPT. Although we can't have bombs dropped and guns / rockets fired like at TFDC, we can still have an awesome airshow without the pain of Cape Town International air space...

So it WOULD be lovely if it can be annual. But I doubt it will happen.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 14:08 

Don't think so TFDC needs to be yearly again..Maybe SAAF 100 is best next..But I guess it will be at Waterkloof.

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 15:33 

SAAF 100 better be country wide!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 19:55 

rynopot wrote:
SAAF 100 better be country wide!

Agreed on that one!

Does anyone know if the SAAF are combining a ACM camp of sorts with the airshow? I mean four Hawks and SEVEN Gripens seem a bit excessive for one show?

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 20:30 

Langebaanweg Airshow Program 09 Dec 2017
http://www.aviationcentral.co.za/2017/12/05/langebaanweg-airshow-program-09-dec-2017/

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 18:32 

According to my contact at 2 Squadron it's 3 or 4 Gripens...

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 18:21 

The gates open at 7. Is it wise to arrive for example 6h30?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 08:27 

Njoy the show all attending!

Pics please...

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 21:20 

What a day!
The wind was unbelievable and proved a massive challenge for all pilots and crews today! :shock:
Today proved the skill and experience that exists within the SAAF and private aviators.
Much respect. =D>

I personally found the conditions very difficult for photography. Very windy (even with a tripod) and hazy. Hopefully the others had better luck with their catches.
And wow...I found it extremely hard keeping up with the Gripen and Hawk with the camera! :shock:
I had lengthy conversations with both Gripen pilot - two young chaps. Major Cooper, who did the Gripen display and Major Venter who performed the supersonic boom.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 21:45 

Rosh wrote:
What a day!
The wind was unbelievable and proved a massive challenge for all pilots and crews today! :shock:
Today proved the skill and experience that exists within the SAAF and private aviators.
Much respect. =D>

I personally found the conditions very difficult for photography. Very windy (even with a tripod) and hazy. Hopefully the others had better luck with their catches.
And wow...I found it extremely hard keeping up with the Gripen and Hawk with the camera! :shock:
I had lengthy conversations with both Gripen pilot - two young chaps. Major Cooper, who did the Gripen display and Major Venter who performed the supersonic boom.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Chance or not; pics or it didn't happen! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We're a hard crowd to please, no?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 21:54 

Will upload more tomorrow...

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 06:43 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Well done Rosh....first with the pics. :smt023 :smt023 Looking forward to lots more photos :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next