The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 22:39

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 10:27 

I am back !

North Korea fired a 2nd missile over Japan in a month. The missile reached an altitude of 770km (2 300 000 feet) and and flew a distance of 3 200 km for 19 minutes. The first one on 29 August flew for 2 700km. The KN-08 is believed to have a range of about 11,500km.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/14 ... ports.html

North Korea is only getting better at making ICBMs. The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted a US-drafted resolution to impose new sanctions on North Korea. The resolution is designed to accomplish six major goals: cap North Korea's oil imports, ban textile exports, end additional overseas laborer contracts, suppress smuggling efforts, stop joint ventures with other nations and sanction designated North Korean government entities. Earlier in August North Korea's exports were slashed by a third.

The Hermit Kingdom is in a bind and needs cash desperately so why can't a 3rd world govt buy North Korea missile tech ? I am certain Mr Jong Un won't demand a lot of money, $20 million should be acceptable. I feel this is a perfect opportunity for Countries like South Africa, Angola, Algeria (Egypt cut military ties with North Korea on Monday) or any other "rich" African country to progress technologically. With what they have already accomplished a country like South Africa with more resources can even produce better versions.

What is there to gain: Jobs are created, revenues for the govt and above all prestige and deterrence against the enemy

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 12:44 

Welcome back !!

Why would we advocate the proliferation of ICBMs ? Besides, $20 million from a few African countries will hardly fill their coffers. The benefit of transfer of ICBM technology is questionable in terms of the value it will bring - unless a country wants to learn how to design rockets to launch satellites which anyway is a very specialized expensive business.....

North Korea will ultimately be forced into the global economy (as was Russia after they effectively were bankrupt in the early 90s - according to some sources by trying to keep up with Reagan's Star Wars programme....)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 13:21 
Site Admin

Then there is the pesky problem of the UN banning military cooperation with and the purchase of military equipment from North Korea ...

Of course, African countries are not known for sticking to UN ams embargos: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=111

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 15:36 

The technology is probably not NK's to sell, no doubt they have development partners. That's who the UN/US should be targeting.

Following on from Mistrals point ICBM technology is redundant, the money would be better spent on newer types of technology

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 19:13 

Not to mention we probably have better technology than they do, even if we don't use it.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 21:49 

Dean wrote:
Then there is the pesky problem of the UN banning military cooperation with and the purchase of military equipment from North Korea ...

Of course, African countries are not known for sticking to UN ams embargos: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?o ... Itemid=111

And the Missile Technology Control Regime. We would really not like to be kicked out of this "club", as that would cut us off from practically all "legitimate" sources of missile technology and research. https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/mtcr

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 08:15 

Foxtrot wrote:
Not to mention we probably have better technology than they do, even if we don't use it.

In the past we did..had 9 nukes(warheads) at Pelindaba ..the so called rocket for a satellite at the air force museum Swartkops was the cover up for an ICBM missile where the warheads would replace the satellite,I have heard this in past from a reliable person that was in intelligence.The rocket fuel that brought down the Helderberg was for the ICBM's that South Africa was developing.Many weapons and Missiles where transported by SAA cargo with passengers from Taiwan and Israel in the past.

Currently Zuma is against the NK as he mentioned 7days ago.So I dont think we in NK good books.. see..below.I think in all honesty the ZUMA warhead is the weapon of mass destruction in our Country. :lol:

President Jacob Zuma has called for calm in North Korea‚ saying "the situation cannot be allowed to get out of hand".

Speaking on Wednesday at the United Nations General Assembly‚ Zuma said: "As a country that voluntarily dismantled its nuclear weapons programme‚ South Africa is of the firm view that there are no safe hands for weapons of mass destruction."

Earlier in the day‚ Zuma signed an anti-nuclear weapons treaty at the United Nations‚ which only allows for the use of nuclear for purposes like energy and medicine.

"The only viable solution to the problems of nuclear weapons is their total elimination as expressed in the recently adopted UN treaty‚" he said.

"It can no longer be acceptable that some few countries keep arsenals and stockpiles of nuclear weapons as part of their strategic defence‚ while expecting others to remain at their mercy."

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 14:59