The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:00

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Daphne Sub (Wood)
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 16:41 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Was pleased to get a wood model of the SAN Daphne sub S99 (SAS Johanna van der Merwe/SAS Assegaai) at the Navy Museum today in Simon's Town. I knew they sold books, but this is the first time I've spotted a model, albeit only sub model is sold. (They also sell Navy personnel badges, buttons etc for those interested). This very basic model was R60.00 and came packaged with info/history sheet, and a full profile decal of a daphne shown in cross section. Made my day. :D

Post subject: Re: Daphne Sub (Wood)
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 18:23 
Site Admin

:smt023

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:01 

Damn, that nose is about as ugly as a Cheetah D. Not quite, though.

My mother translated technical documentation for the Daphne class submarines, as a result we did a tour through one of the submarines when I was in about Standard 6 or 7, I think (about 1973?) She told me that Admiral Dieter Gerhardt approved it - I didn't mention that when I went for Denel or ARMSCOR security clearances. . .

The only thing I remember about the submarine is that it was really small inside. And I think they told us there were no watertight bulkheads - if it gets a hole, the whole thing floods. Can that be right?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 09:26 

CheetahSupporter wrote:
Damn, that nose is about as ugly as a Cheetah D. Not quite, though.

My mother translated technical documentation for the Daphne class submarines, as a result we did a tour through one of the submarines when I was in about Standard 6 or 7, I think (about 1973?) She told me that Admiral Dieter Gerhardt approved it - I didn't mention that when I went for Denel or ARMSCOR security clearances. . .

The only thing I remember about the submarine is that it was really small inside. And I think they told us there were no watertight bulkheads - if it gets a hole, the whole thing floods. Can that be right?

Gosh that is interesting about the drawings. I seem to recall bulkheads when I went aboard the museum sub when it was still open. There's a whole topic on this aspect and posted drawings....see this link.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=daphne+drawings&fid%5B%5D=18&start=0

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 18:35 

Doug wrote:
Was pleased to get a wood model of the SAN Daphne sub S99 (SAS Johanna van der Merwe/SAS Assegaai) at the Navy Museum today in Simon's Town. I knew they sold books, but this is the first time I've spotted a model, albeit only sub model is sold. (They also sell Navy personnel badges, buttons etc for those interested). This very basic model was R60.00 and came packaged with info/history sheet, and a full profile decal of a daphne shown in cross section. Made my day. :D

I am feeling a bit sheepish as I just discovered that the supplied decal is supposed to be applied to the model and not to one's car!! :oops: :oops: It was a big decal of the whole sub profile which fooled me, but on closer inspection, only the centre section (inside compartments) peels off, and is meant to be applied to the model itself. Obvious I know now, but it caught me out. Here's revised pic from my desk of the now completed model. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 20:47 

That's pretty neat Doug.

From having read Iron Fist of the Sea I certainly wasn't envious of the Recces who needed to make long, cramped and damp transits to the target area in these boats.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 10:00 

H1017412 wrote:
That's pretty neat Doug.

From having read Iron Fist of the Sea I certainly wasn't envious of the Recces who needed to make long, cramped and damp transits to the target area in these boats.

I'd love to get that book, but too expensive for me unfortunately. However, I have read many of the extracts from this book which are fascinating. When tours of the Daphne were still ongoing, the recce bunking system was explained to visitor. Very sardine like...squeezed in the can together.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 12:33 

Nice Daphne Doug !!!

hahahaha ... thankfully the decal didn't yet make it onto your car window :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug wrote:
I'd love to get that book, ...
If you want to read it, I can drop off my copy the next time I am in your part of the bay?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 13:31 

H1017412 wrote:
That's pretty neat Doug.

Most of the Recce's preferred the subs to Strike Craft! Plenty of them seriously green around the gills transiting to their target area :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 19:10 
Site Admin

Kremlin wrote:
Nice Daphne Doug !!!

He's baaaack!!! :smt006