The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: I've lost my MoJo!
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 06:37 

Lately I just cant seem to get into model building atall :(
I tried to complete a long term dragon 1/48 Fokker D7, that was a desaster wrt the PE interplane struts and top wing fit.
Then thought I would try my luck at my 1/48 Hase A4 scooter, but as you know I despise sanding and filling and even with the best easy to remove filler there is still sansing to be done.
So I went to hobby shop to go buy myself a propper sanding tool....afterall 140-00 should make the jobe easier right?
They only had one left and not having my "eyes" with me I could not see the corceness of the belt. Got home only to see it is the rough, maybe about the same as 220 sandpaper #-o
So cant use that either, way to rough and cant get finner belts either.

With winter appon us , it is a traditionaly slow build timke for me anyway as I dont like cold :wink:

So I am not to eager to take another nice kit out the cubourd to start it ....maybe my run of bad luck is not over yet #-o

Maybe after winter I will give it a go again.....

T

Post subject: Re: I've lost my MoJo!
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 08:59 

You are not alone,same here with Photography,life is giving me a few knocks as of late financially,and especially the photography side and at work,just don't have the energy to even try take pictures as of late,since April..Also not even attending the Wonderboom Adrenalin Airshow over the weekend.

I have started though building a a very nice Tamiya model 1/350 scale USS New Jersey battleship,might do more models now that my photography has taken a knock,to keep me busy at home.

I used to build allot of models but yes,lost so much of my stuff over time and models..slowly getting all I need again to get into the hobby again.

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 22:39 

Hey Theuns,

Try building something you wouldn't ordinarily build - like a submarine kit :smt023

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 06:39 

I have an old Tamiya Sherman tank I will try....but the cold makes me really "slapgat" wrt having to sit and build :(

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 19:20 

Theuns, the Internet modelling forums are full of similar stories. I reckon a large portion of mojo loss is due to folks complicating their builds and trying for perfection. Take your A-4 slats for example. Who really cares if there's a step or not. I've learnt from GRSM two things :
a) yes there are subject matter experts for all various types of aeries but they are few and far between for the particular subject you're building. 95% of observers don't know the specific details of that aerie.
b) presentation is more important to the general observer than accuracy. I've changed my modelling approach to enjoy the build, painting and weathering. I'll only invest time in correcting accuracy issues on aircraft I'm passionate about (Mirages :!: :!: :!: ). I found that this did my mojo the world of good and I enjoy modelling more than ever. It's been manifested through my production rate which gives me a greater sense of satisfaction and achievement.

However, that's what works for me. Other modellers certainly would have different drivers.

But more than anything, take it slow. Don't rush :D

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 06:53 

I agree Malcom. The issue is not fixing things like the slats, kit only took about 45 min and was easy to do. It is sanding in very tight spaces to sand that I hate. Even with the very nice filler I got from you some areas still need putty/sanding.

I will take something out the stash that I do not really worry about to much and slap that together. But in this damn winter I find it difficult to sit in the cold to model :lol: :lol:

I made some sanding sticks to do the A4, maybe those will work better than the bought one I cant use #-o

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 07:17 

I actually prefer winter modelling. Put a nice bar heater under the desk to warm your feet and off you go. It's like my very own modelling caccoon. :D . I suspect you get better airbrush effect in the cold. No condensation issues.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 07:33 

Well said Malcolm. The forums are a blessing and curse in equal measure, we see exceptional builds done by amazing craftsmen and naturally try to emulate this in our own builds and can tend to get despondent when things dont go right. However, the good part is that we pick up great tips and techniques which have surely helped all of us improve what we do. Has the perfect model ever been produced, I doubt it! Even the best you see on the web have some issue here or there and none of us should get so obsessed with producing masterpieces that we totally forget the enjoyment element.

Theuns I find when I am feeling like you are it is best to just pack everything away and take a break for a while, the only time pressure we are under is our own. You will find inspiration soon enough and haul out a kit.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 08:10 

I am trying to overhall my airbrush with new O-ring set, maybe if the thing works well I will get some insperation to do some modling again.It has been giving my hassles lately and this morning I checked the nozle O ring and it was hard and cracked, hence the bubbles in the paint cup.

I cant go buy another AB, the budget will not allow it so hop I can get is going again.

As for "perfect" models, I tried to do it but I cant get it to where I want it to be so I made peace with it and now build for fun. I will correct simple to do things like steps for slats ect but dont go overboard with it otherwize it becomes work.

The hassle is that I have been spending huge amounts of time on the RC models and rebuilding Tigermoth at work so my mojo for plastics have taken a backseat.

T

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 09:38 

Mistral wrote:
I actually prefer winter modelling. Put a nice bar heater under the desk to warm your feet and off you go. It's like my very own modelling caccoon. :D . I suspect you get better airbrush effect in the cold. No condensation issues.

MMM, had the opposite this week. The water trap on my compressor actually filled up this week with the cold. Never seen it fill up so fast during summer

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 09:42 

Mistral wrote:
I reckon a large portion of mojo loss is due to folks complicating their builds and trying for perfection.

And building up to competition standards. The clubs are pushing people to build anything to the highest standard possible. It does not seem to push the fun factor in it anymore. I have also lost my mojo because of this during the course of the year and have not yet finished any projects this year. Shelved a few because they would not be up to standard.

Only recently decided to build something just for fun, and really enjoying it. From now on most of my builds will be this way. Not gonna build for competitions anymore.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 11:45 

Well, I bought a 165-00 o ring set for my Ab and after replacing it still gives me crap. Tried the badger and the same there so till I can get a new AB all my builds are on hold, damn!!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 12:14 

Same here, since end of March I have hardly touched anything. On 31/03 my brother in law attempted suicide, this shook our family. This in the midst of preparations for my daughters wedding. He was in ICU for 5 weeks.

Wedding day comes 07/05, excellent wedding, all was as good as good be. Then 10/05 my Mother in Law passed away very suddenly. So funeral arrangements, the estate etc etc etc.

All of this kicked the Mojo straight out of me.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 14:02 
Site Admin

Sheez Drifter, that's enough to knock anyone. Strongs to the family.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 14:22 

Thanks Dean. Slowly starting to pick up the pieces, time to move on. This is one good hobby to "get lost in".