The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 17:20 

Fortunately I was blessed with my Old Man's SAAF stuff which all got put into a shoe box when he retired. There is still more stuff in my grandfather's garage stored in millions of boxes when we left the country so many years ago.

I also have my step-grandfather's WW2 flying jacket (he flew Kittyhawks in the Desert Air Force, and my Dad's Dad's old tunic (also WW2)....

along with 2 SAAF flying suits... not a bad collection to use for my own bar one day. I desperately need to get a SAAF F-1 Bone-dome and then a WW2 leather flying helmet (fat chance)...

On with the pics... apologies for the bad quality.. they were taken with my phone, which hasnt got an auto-focus or steady function...

I believe the bottom pair of wings are RAF.. which would mean that they're my Grandfather's from WW2...

I was allowed to use a few badges for my own flying suit...

Sorry to say it guys... but nothing is for sale...

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 18:28 

All the Wings in the photo are SAAF wings, the one with the British Kings Crown on are from when SA was still in the Commonwealth pre Republic era.

Very nice collection of items. :smt023

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 21:15 

Great collection!

I wouldlike to obtain some good pics of some of the badges for my SAAF patch recording project, if you can help. [-o<

Contack me direct at
gsbotha@absamail.co.za

Best regards
Stephan Botha

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 01:20 

As the other guys have mentioned, Very nice collection Portamus! ...And most importantly... THANKS FOR SHARING! :smt023

...A friendly word of advice though: Maybe you don't want to be wearing the last patch you posted of the puma footprint on your own flight suit, as it is a VERY RARE 19 Squadron OPS patch that was usually issued to 19 Squadron Puma helicopter pilots for operations conducted in the operational area around SWA/Angola during the Border War. Besides it's historical value, some senior members within the SAAF (if there are any left...) might also frown upon wearing it as you haven't "earned" the right to...

Just a suggestion. :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 11:09 

Thanks for the heads up man....

I honestly have no idea about some of those patches.. my Old man hasnt really ever explained them to me.... but I did ask him which ones I could have on my suit, and he gave me those. He's never really spoken much of his SAAF days I guess...

And when I finished my comm.... he gave me his old SAAF watch...still with the SAAF number on the back. It works, and I fly with it when I have tests.

PostPosted: 14 May 2009, 12:31 

Hello guys. I was a proud member of the former 8 Squadron flying Impalas from Bloemspruit in the 80's. I have kept a few of my most memorable items for my boys to hang in their bars one day but I still have a few items that I might want to part with at the right price. These include an original flightsuit with wings, 8 Squadron badge (Flying cocks), and the old Oranje Blanje Blou flag on it. I also have a spare flying helmet which is still complete with oxygen mask and the tuti. The boys did a sh%tty paint job on it but it is still the original that I flew with from Langebaan to Bloemspruit on the last trip I ever flew in a Imp in 1987. Lastly I have a flag of the old 8 Squadron. The flag is truly an collector's item. This flag is just smaller than A3 size and usually accompanied the squad on trips allover and was hung outside the flight command tent. I was given two of these old flags in 1986 in Ondangwa before Untag started taking over. The one I am obviously keeping. Will take pictures and post them on request. I have no idea what these items are worth so anybody interested or in the know, please give me an idea what I can get for these. Might help towards my eldest son's PPL fees.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 03:01 

That is a really nice collection - especially the rank insignia and the officer's cap. I never realised the protea formed part of a field-officer's design. Very good looking.

Does anyone have a picture of the contemporary design? does it still incorporate the protea?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 17:12 

Great to see the SAAF patch collectors pool is gaining adherents!

I have put up my wants list. Have a look - a few posts back.
I have the following to swop for any of those on my wants list:
68 Air School - current variant.
85 Combat Flying School - current variant
Flight Engineers course badge - 2/89 - Dare Devils
89 Combat Flying School - ground crew blue
89 Combat Flying School - emblem
Alo III (Helicopters) 3000 flying hours
16 Sqn - emblem Black background - 1980's
3 Sqn - Ground crew - Fitter Arm - printed variant - unused
3 Sqn - Ground crew - Avion Inst - printed variant - used
3 Sqn - Ground crew - Avion Elect - printed variant - used
3 Sqn - Ground crew - Avion Radar - printed variant - used
Denel - Alkantpan Test Range

Keep looking the badges are out there! Current operational squadrons patches are cheaper to get hold off. But for Border War era items and older - one will have to be willing to pay... or if you are lucky - swop.

Regards
Stephan Botha

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 16:13 

Im looking for a WW2 patch from 1944 for SAAF 34 squadron flying liberator bombing missions out of Italy.

Thanks
gabriel

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 19:32 

gkardos wrote:
Im looking for a WW2 patch from 1944 for SAAF 34 squadron flying liberator bombing missions out of Italy.

Thanks
gabriel

The SAAF did not wear squadron patches during WW2 - what they did have were small brass or silver and enamel brooch type badges which were worn unofficially on the battledress pocket. There was one for 34 Sqn but these, and most other squadrons', are very rare these days and can fetch a high price.

I have an essentially complete set which has taken over 30 years to assemble.

Some wartime veterans had wire embroidered blazer badges made up after the war for reunion functions but not all the squadron badges have been so made.

The first time squadron badges were made in the true sense was when 2 Sqn was serving in the Korean War and patches were worn in the way their American counterparts did.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 00:01 

W407594F wrote:
24 Sqn was part of the Western Desert Air Force and then moved on to Italy.

Flew Marylands, then Bostons and finally Marauders B-26

I have a pilots log book from this era a Lt E.L Baylis and my uncle served as ground crew from the begining of the war to the end first with 14 then 24. later one of my cousins was a Navigator in 24 Sqn on Buccaneers.

I am looking for any info on my father, Lt. G.E.Sale, pilot, 24th Sq. Killed Mar 20, 1943. Boston III. Have some info from 24th Sq book but any additional info would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy Sale.