The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 12:26 

Hmmm, 1st time ever this happens to me. Yesterday it was quite cool (16 C) and overcast. The Tamiya Xtra thin would not bond, AT ALL. I started storing my cement in the fridge when we had this heat wave. Could it be that the cement was too cold?

Last edited by Drifter on 11 Jan 2017, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:43 

What plastic i.e. what manufacturer is the kit ? It may be a plastic thing. The only time I had issues with Extra Thin not working was on some old Airfix plastic. But I've never heard of the need to put Extra Thin in a fridge. I doubt that's the problem. :?:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:43 

Was coldish and wet yesterday and my xtra thin cement worked just fine on Tamiya kit

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 06:49 

It's on a Trumpeter. I'm 95% done with the build. The cement just stopped working.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 07:22 

Drifter wrote:
It's on a Trumpeter. I'm 95% done with the build. The cement just stopped working.

Never had any problems with Trumpeter plastic and Extra Thin. Besides, you're 95% through with the build and are only experiencing problems now. Just make sure the surface you're gluing are free of paint (especially acrylic). Alternatively, don't refrigerate your glue although I can't think why this would be a problem. Anyway, Extra Thin does not need to refrigerated to maintain it's properties. The only other time I've heard modellers keeping glue in the fridge is with super glue (cyanoacrylate).

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 09:41 

I will take it out of the fridge, get it up to room temp, and try again.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 16:15 

Drifter wrote:
I will take it out of the fridge, get it up to room temp, and try again.

Ja, really no need to refrigerate. The only problem is leaving the cap off. It's very volatile and will disappear very quickly. On the subject of Extra Thin there are two types. The usual and then the quick setting. The quick setting dries in a flash. I prefer the normal one as you can manipulate the plastic before it dries 100%. The quick setting can be used if you clamp two parts together and then run a bead along the mating surface.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 09:26 

Ok, dont I feel like a fool now. I prepped the front fuselage halve of the Mig 15 for a wash by giving it a Tamiya clear coat. The part that was giving me issues was when I want to mate the engine to the fuselage. There was some clear coat overspray that I didnt see. This is what prevented the Tamiya thin to bond.