The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 22:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: RIMS and CWRS
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 09:41 

RMS and CWRS were fitted to the SAAF aircraft in the '80's to provide warning and protection against radar operated SAM systems as fielded by the Angloans and Cubans in Angola. RIMS acronym is Radar and Infrared Misleading System, otherwise known as chaff and flare dispensers. Please can someone advise what the acronym CWRS is. I know that it's the local designation for what others call RWR (Radar Warning Receivers). RWR systemS typically consist of a number of small passive receivers located at each quadrant of the aircraft as well as an azimuth receiver. The radar threat (tracking / firing / guidance mode) would be picked up and the location indicated on a cockpit azimuth display unit. The type and location of threat e.g. SAM-3 as well as the radar mode would be available to the pilot through this display. Due to the size and shape, the passive antennae were referred to as "cat's balls" by SAAF personnel.

On one of the other forum threads there is discussion regarding the use of the DC-4 in the ELINT (Electronic Intelligence) role up on the border. I guess the purpose was to track enemy radar activity and build a "library" of typical radar mode frequencies.

Anyway, hopefully someone can identify the acronym CWRS. I don't think enough has been written on the use and success of this technology by the SAAF in the border war. Also, I suspect that RIMS / CWRS may have been bought out Isreali technology (itself based on US systems developed as a result of the Vietnam War experience). Anyway, this is all speculation on my part and hopefully someone here can provide more info. I recall during my national service '88/89 that 4AD at Snake Valley seemed to take care of the RIMS/CWRS development and integration.

Post subject: Re: RIMS and CWRS
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 11:32 

RWS: Radar Warning Receiver
This was only fitted to the Mirage F1AZ and B-707.
It had a recording function for post mission analysis.
Freq Range: 2-18GHz (spiral antenna) and 0,7-1,4GHz blade antenna
A button antenna was also fitted, focusing on CW threats (three specific radars).

CRWS: Compact Radar warning Receiver
This was fitted to the Impala Mk 2, Mirage F1CZ, C-130, C-160 and Puma
It did not have a recording function.
Freq Range: 2-18GHz (spiral antenna) and 0,7-1,4GHz blade antenna
A button antenna was also fitted, focusing on CW threats (three specific radars), however, I cannot recall on what CRWS platforms this was fitted.

Post subject: Re: RIMS and CWRS
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 05:24 

Mistral wrote:
I recall during my national service '88/89 that 4AD at Snake Valley seemed to take care of the RIMS/CWRS development and integration.
From the mid 90's, the Cheetah C EWSPS was maintained at the EW center / section at 5AD at Waterkloof. The EW Center was upstairs in the main 5AD building, IIRC, but I was only rarely allowed in. Those EW guys were tight, for good reasons.