The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 04:29

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 11:15 

1. Basic Military Training
2. Officers Formative Course
3. Military Academy
4. Survival Training
5. AFB Langebaanweg-Flying training!

You’ll be governed by 2 Contracts- MSD for first 2 years, thereafter, Core Service System Contract (CSS)- Flying contract (you owe +- R6000 for every flying hour they train you!) Ends up being in the region of a million rand and 13 years after completing flying phase!

1. Basic Military Training (BMT)

Consists of fitness training, basic military competency, (how to drill-march- saluting etc) Weapons training etc. You are treated like an idiot, but it’s ok because it’s not a long course. You live in Military Barracks and are allowed out on some weekends, but mostly you aren’t allowed out. Salary +- R2000pm. Your food and accommodation is free.

2. Officers Formative Course

Again, a Military focused course, training areas include leadership and management. Also quite a physical course, it can be a bit frustrating as they want to see how you perform under pressure, so they supply the pressure! More academic then BMT. You’re glad when it’s over. :D

NOTE: In between these courses you will be kept busy at some or other military establishment- most probably a museum – where you will wash aircraft and pull up weeds. That will then be your first 9 months- year in the SAAF!

3. Military Academy

A 1 year certificate (BMil certificate) course accredited by Stellenbosh University. You can choose between 2 courses. Subjects you can expect:

Aeronautical studies (4 Modules), Physics, Maths, English, Computer Literacy, Economics, Statistics, Various Military subjects

You live on the campus in Saldanha. You still take part in military training, but to a much lesser extent than previously. (E.g., still do fitness tests, morning parades etc)
This is where you complete your Ground school subjects.
After completing this phase you will be given your CSS contract to sign, salary goes up to +- R5000. You will now start paying for food and accommodation. :)

4. Survival Training

Theory training then; sea, coastal and land survival training. Yeah, you suffer a little bit. :lol:

5. Flying Phase

A little bit more theory first, Astra Standard Operating Procedures, Base Standing Instructions, Astra Technical and Emergencies…

The training consists of 7 fields:

Basic General Flying - Your basic training as well as some basic aerobatics.
Basic Instrument Flying - Speaks for itself!
Advanced General Flying - More Aerobatics!
Advanced Instrument Flying - Instrument approaches, departures, etc
Formation Flying - Leadership and wingman training.
Night Flying - Circuits, some “dark” landings.
Navigation Training - Low Level, Medium Level and Instrument Navigations.

Then 2 “Wings” sorties… and Finally…the Wings Parade! =D>

In general, the flying training learning curve is never too steep. You’ll be ready for each new training area. Instrument flying is quite intense, and Navigation Phase has a very high workload (preparing maps takes time!) But otherwise, the Astra is a very simple aircraft to operate; it performs really well and is an absolute pleasure to fly.

Good Luck to all aspiring Pupes! :smt023

P.S. There are rumours that the year at the Military Academy is going to fall away, and that ground school will be done at AFB Langebaanweg.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 11:25 
Site Admin

Great post, thanks. :smt023

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 18:02 

Brilliant!
You are a blessing!
One question, how much would one get paid after all three years of training (I heard R9000 after deductions but how much is deductions? and what does deductions include...)
Oh and what will food and accomodation cost after training?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 22:32 

Hi tweety,

Yes there are talks of scrapping the Academy Phase - from what I gather to avoid the failures and to shorten the length of pupes course!

I am all for it!

I hated every second of Physics 124 and 154!!!!!

regards!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 19:41 

Your salary is made up of 4 things, Your basic salary which depends on your rank, MACIP, housing allowance, and Danger pay. Together you should clear R12000 as a 2Lt (Your rank after qualifying). Accomodation (and mess food) is a percentage of your basic salary, in the region of R700pm? (I think?) Deductions are things like medical aid, sport fund, parking, PAYE etc.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2008, 08:41 

You basically get new entrant rate pay when comparing to the British Army pay scales.

New Entrant rate £12 500 pa
Private £15 600pa
2nd Lt £22 600pa

for more info see
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0104.html

The bottom one takes you to home page and can see reorts on RAF with all Sqns and aircraft etc, Navy and Army. See bottom left margin of screen for them. RAF pay scales are also present about the same as Army.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2008, 08:48 

For anyone who is interested, this is what the New Zealand army offer:

http://www.army.mil.nz/careers/become-a ... efault.htm

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 11:06 

Wow tweety talk about thee topic thank you so very much.

MAY THE LORD BLESS YOUR SMART TOPIC POSTING HABITS...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 08:34 

Tweety I see you mentioned something about food and that lead to me having 1 more thing to ask what about the food sensitive types like me im asking because 50% of food types make me sick are we catered for or is it like a boarding school. Where everyone has the same. :?:

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 08:54 

Provided you have a doctor’s note detailing what you may and may not eat, the mess will make a suitable meal for you. From what I saw, medical and religious diet restrictions are accommodated. Good Luck! :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 10:53 

Thabks a mil tweety =D> Great info!
And of course all the best for your training \:D/
By the way what are you training for and how many years do you have left (or have you already qualified? :shock: I'm not very good with names and everything...)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2009, 08:43 

I think dats a great thing to do but =D> to those who have join the airforce,am on my to join, hope to c u guys there. :smt023

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 04:00 

Thanks Tweety, helped me alot =D>

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 15:51 

i m more concerned on the physical training. does the G I jane stuff happen. i m expecting to be clapped, head butted, cold water poured down my back, kicked, woken up after 3 hours of sleep. is there something i should be aware of

PostPosted: 15 May 2009, 20:00 

skyhawk77 wrote:
i m more concerned on the physical training. does the G I jane stuff happen. i m expecting to be clapped, head butted, cold water poured down my back, kicked, woken up after 3 hours of sleep. is there something i should be aware of

:lol: lol unfortunately you get proper sleeping hours...The problem is your room mates thats all... ooh i forgot you get hot water,just pray you get the right bangalo :smt023

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next