The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 13 May 2024, 16:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: G6 in Yemen
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 17:52 

Came across an article on The Economist and lo and behold there is a pic of a G6 trundling into battle for the UAE against the Yemeni Rebels

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21664213-saudi-led-coalition-escalates-its-campaign-downward-spiral

https://twitter.com/TheRealBTL/status/641283571064418304

Did some more digging and found this video of the G6 in action (You can see it in the beginning and about 2/3 of the way through): https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mYw8IE--wOQ&app=desktop

Also found this report about the invasion by the Saudis and UAE, does give some info into how the G6s were deployed.
http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/the-saudi-uae-war-effort-in-yemen-part-1-operation-golden-arrow-in-aden

Anyway, thought it would be interesting to share this. Not often that you see some of our more offensive and big ticket items being used operationally. I imagine this is the first time the G6 has been used in anger since the Border War?

Post subject: Re: G6 in Yemen
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 18:53 

Not only G6s, the Emiratis have also deployed their Seeker II and Seeker 200 systems, one of which crashed near the Yemeni border a few weeks ago.

And yes, this probably is the first combat use since the Border War.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 21:08 

please educate me again here, thanks btw. wow. my question is why is the rhino in that colum. i thought with the range they had they would bombard from a distance whilst the others cleared with machine gun later. im clearly not understanding things these days. my braai talks with family members are long gone but this stuff isnt what i recall as eluded to my question before on training video. i may have been missinformed or it may also be my youth brain remembering wrong

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 21:15 

micfradus wrote:
please educate me again here, thanks btw. wow. my question is why is the rhino in that colum. i thought with the range they had they would bombard from a distance whilst the others cleared with machine gun later. im clearly not understanding things these days. my braai talks with family members are long gone but this stuff isnt what i recall as eluded to my question before on training video. i may have been missinformed or it may also be my youth brain remembering wrong

Not quite sure why they brought it so close to the line but my uninformed opinion says it is the arab way of fighting. I've often noticed how they like to bring artillery into the direct fire role as well as the use of many other unconventional tactics. It seems that their oil money can buy lots of fancy equipment but they still haven't been able to produce a professional, well-trained army.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 14:30 

Methinks a 155mm howitzer to the face sends a message...
:P

But that's just me.

Highly probable that they do not in fact know what they're doing.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 07:23 

Got to applaud their "vuur and beweging". text book stuff. :D :D