The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Recommended Reading
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 16:13 
Site Admin

jeffreynic wrote:
Dean wrote:
Available from The Airforce Shop. Credit card facilities available and proceeds go to the hosting and maintenance of this website.

Tumult in The Clouds

I heard a rumour that this book comes with the authors signature on request?
:wink:

:lol: :smt023

Mention your SAAF Forum user name and you may even get a small discount.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 16:47 

i had forgotton about the other side of the site, as this is bookmarked since december. no need for the discount, roceeds are going in the right place.

last question as ive never ordered anything online but do you add the shipping to canada when i selct the books? is it prompted later down the line

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 16:50 
Site Admin

Yup, yo'll be asked to choose airmail or surface mail. Note that I process the credit card details manually (not all the details are stored on the site) and will reduce the total charge if the actual postal rate is cheaper.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 17:46 

i dont own a personal cc, and not comfy putting the business one one the web for any occasion. do you accpet a prepaid visa? i think i can get a prepaid master card but prepaid visa ive seen lots of in the checkout isles. sorry i dont know i was amazed with debit transactions when i first got here so pease excuse the ignorance

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 19:26 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if prepaid works or not. I know the virtual credit cards are not accepted by my gateway provider.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 19:53 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Currently really enjoying latest read from Wordsworth Books - Eye of the Firestorm - by Maj Gen (Retd) Roland De Vries. Strength lies in mobility. Roland got the nickname - "Rommel of the SADF" which should give an idea of the book content. Its a big read - 911 pages - illustrated as well with pics - and selling at this major book seller for a very reasonable R153.00 brand new!!! =P~ :smt023 \:D/

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 08:52 

Did you know that Cape Town International Airport (Int arrivals) has a free library? The idea is you leave books on their shelves and can select a book to read at the same time. Great idea and we often drop off books there now.

I was rewarded this week when dropping off some books there, when to my utter joy found a copy of "Gunship Ace" - the wars of Neall Ellis helicopter pilot written by Al J. Venter. Busy reading it now. \:D/

Also found an immaculate hard back copy of 'The hunt for Puma 164" which I also got off their shelves but for a forum member.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 22:49 

Gripen wrote:
A little different but it has aircraft in it - Firestrike 7/9. It's about a British Army JTAC in Helmand Province Afghanistan. Quite a read!

[quote = I have both Apache and Hellfire, but I didn't enjoy Hellfire as much as Apache. In fact, I don't think I even got half way. Perhaps it's time for me to start reading it again.[/quote]

Just followed through on this recommendation and read APACHE by Ed Macey. It is a riveting and highly descriptive account of the Apache Helicopter, its weapons configurations, technology deployed and operations in Afghanistan. Yep, I would highly recommend it plus it has plenty of colour photos as well.