The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 21:24 

I'm having some fun doing this Royal Navy carrier aircraft from 60's :D

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 07:58 

Where is that "like" button?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 19:33 

Plane crazy wrote:
Where is that "like" button?

+ 1 :!: :!: And then a Javelin please. One of those based in Zambia during the Rhodesian UDI

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 23:56 

Cheers guys :smt023

I must say, researching the Vixen has been huge FUN, there are some fascinating stories to be told =D>

I also found Dick Lord's name listed in the cruise book of HMS Victorious for 1960-62, this when the carrier deployed to Cape Town, and he served with 892 Naval Air Squadron.

HMS Victorious 1960-62 wrote:
As we neared the Cape we met H.M.S. LYNX and S.A.S. VRYSTAAT who were to assist us in a "Shopwindow" demonstration before entering Cape Town. All our thoughts were now devoted to the Cape Town visit. The ship was spring-cleaned, while the squadrons and ships in company rehearsed the demonstration.

On 16th February we anchored in Table Bay for a final paint-ship effort and the next day operation "Shopwindow" took place. Many prominent South African citizens and Service personnel were embarked for the day, including Her Worship the Mayor of Cape Town.

Many aspects of surface, underwater and aerial warfare were demonstrated. In spite of low cloud, and the claims for broken windows from locals ashore when aircraft broke the sound barrier, the demonstration was a huge success. We entered Cape Town harbour at sunset to receive a very enthusiastic welcome. The scale of hospitality offered to the ship was overwhelming, and we had to set up a special bureau in the ship to cope with all the invitations.

The next ten days passed in a whirlwind of entertainment, parties in private homes and on board, barbecues and every kind of sporting fixture. The ship was only open to the general public on three days, but that did not seem to make any difference to the number of private guests who visited the ship daily. At a conservative estimate it was reckoned that about 25,000 visitors must have been on board at some time or another.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 11:05 

Greetings Kremlin :)

I read your quoted bit from the Cruise Book with interest re the visit of HMS VICTORIOUS to Cape Town in Feb 1961 and Dick Lord's presence whilst he was serving on-board with 892 Naval Air Squadron. That lead me to take a quick look at Hansard (British House of Commons) as to what is recorded there about this visit.

It created a lively discussion in the British Parliament during a Commons sitting dated 1 March 1961, with questions from the floor as to why did this ship visit SA, creating the impression that the RN was 'insensitive' to the SA racial policies of the time ... etc.

Interesting to me was the response from Mr Ian Orr-Ewing, the Civil Lord of the RN Admiralty (1959-1963) in his capacity as Commons spokesman on Naval matters:-
Quote:
The ship had to get to the Far East. She had to go either through the Suez Canal or round South Africa. We are under an obligation under the Simonstown agreement to provide exercises for the South African Navy. We carried out that obligation. That was why she went round South Africa. While she was going round, and while exercising, she also took the opportunity of paying a visit. On the whole, this was a tremendous success and created a great deal of friendship.

An indication as to how important the British government and the RN considered the Simon's Town Agreement in the early sixties. The one sided termination of said agreement was of course a political one and not a RN motivated decision.

Back to the Sea Vixen! :smt023

Edit: Corrections made re the Cruise Book reference.

Last edited by Tally-ho on 01 Mar 2015, 21:17, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 13:23 

Cheers Tally-ho :smt023

The quoted text comes from the actual cruise book of HMS Victorious for 1960-62... I don't have Dick Lord's, from "Tailhook to Mudmover" ... yet.

Another extract from the cruise book, this one from N° 849 Squadron 'B' Flight (Gannet squadron), shows what the crews thought of the politics at the time ... :wink:
849 NAS 'B' Flight wrote:
Christmas at home refreshed us all and we were able to patch up the aircraft and get a replacement just in time to rejoin VICTORIOUS on 26th January for the main part of the cruise.

H.M.S. Apartheid we were called, but not many of "B" Flight supported the boycott against buying South African goods or accepting Cape Town hospitality...

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 13:37 

Royal Navy commissioning books ... this is where I got the Victorious info :D

http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/comishbk.htm

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 13:45 

Kremlin wrote:
Royal Navy commissioning books ... this is where I got the Victorious info :D

http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/comishbk.htm

Much appreciated, thank you. :smt023

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 19:34 

Hi Kremlin

I PM-ed you some MoJo :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers