The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Applying with a PPL
PostPosted: 30 May 2019, 16:51 

Concerning recruitment in January for SAAF. Do any of you know if I'll be accepted without Mathematics and Physical Sciences on matric level? I have a PPL and I'm busy with my CPL.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Applying with a PPL
PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 11:15 

How old are you? If you're still well under the age limit for new recruits it may be to your advantage to first complete your CPL.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2019, 16:20 

I am currently 21. If I am not mistaken the age limit is 26 if a CPL can be provided.

Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 07:42 

Cpt.Kurk wrote:
I am currently 21. If I am not mistaken the age limit is 26 if a CPL can be provided.

Thanks for the reply.

Cpt Kurk. I just want to clarify: Are you interested to join the SAAF to become a pilot? From your original question, I gather you have completed matric, but you didn't do mathematics and physical sciences and you therefore want to know whether you can be accepted into pilot training without those two subjects on your matric certificate. Is that correct?

Having a PPL or a CPL is not a requirement for pilot training. Their only advantage during selection would be that they demonstrate your commitment and ability to study and, perhaps, your passion for aviation. It may give you a tiny advantage when they have to choose between you and another candidate who is otherwise equally qualified.

The math and science requirement is much more important, because it is a basic requirement, unlike a PPL or CPL that is not even a requirement at all. As stated on this website, for pilot or navigator training, you will need:

Quote:
Mathematics and Physical Science requirements
Candidates must have obtained any one of the following:

National Senior Certificate (Grade 12): level 4
N4: 60% or higher
N5 or N6 or University first year: 50% or higher

Unless things have changed, you will have a problem if you don't meet that minimum requirement. Before you sign up for a remedial course, I suggest you contact the SAAF directly and confirm whether this is still the minimum Mathematics and Physical Science requirement.

As for Roger the Dodger's advice: Completing your CPL will give you a potential path to an alternative aviation career outside the SAAF. However, it is not going to help you get selected if you don't meet the minimum selection criteria as stated on this website.