The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 13 May 2024, 19:02

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2017, 18:18 

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, and have read almost everything in the forum website from advice on aspiring military pilots and other SAAF military career paths, yeah I've been lurking around the forum for some time now.

I just turned 25 years old on the 28th of February(sort of), yes you see I was born on the 29th of February :shock: so yeah that's the sort of thing. Anyway I matriculated in 2010 and got A+ for both maths and science and B's for the rest of my subjects and decided that I want to be a mechanical engineer but you see the competition is fierce for engineering schools at universities and extremely fierce for engineering bursaries so you need at least 4 distinctions(from my experience) so I didn't get selected for engineering from any of the universities I applied to during matric and also since my parents can't afford tertiary education I didn't study after matric until 2014 up until I got some government bursary but only for under 25's so this year the bursary contract ended as I turned 25. I studied at Stellenbosch university from 2014 up until 2016 and passed first year above average and got to second year also without much problem except for Thermodynamics and did third year which felt academically the hardest than anything I have ever done in my whole entire life period! Thermofluid Dynamics 344 and Modelling 334 totally zapped my brain oh and don't forget Control Systems 354.

So being 25 years old and having passed matric with an 80% average on the spot and passed first and second year mechanical engineering fully and also with partial third year what are my chances for being selected for pilot, mechanical engineering, ATC, a mechanical trade and a support services in dog handling? yes I applied for all of these musterings.