The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:14

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2016, 18:41 

Good day to everyone on the forum .

I have a couple questions id like to ask with regards to applications :

Firstly could anyone possibly give some clarity with regards to age exceptions , I have seen some posts on the forum indicating that the age for recruitment goes up if you are a graduate , but some individuals say 25 others say 26 , I am currently 23 but will be turning 24 years old later this ,and I am a final year law student ,who is still trying to chase his dream of being a SAAF Pilot. 8)

Secondly does anyone know or has anyone heard of any stories whether applying as graduate will increase your chances for selection ?

Lastly I would like to continue work in a law field within the SAAF if possible , would this still be possibly ,whilst undergoing pilot training ,that is if I am selected in the first place :D

Any advice one has would be greatly appreciated :smt023

PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 08:58 

Hi K2_roux,

See this page:

http://www.careers.mil.za/faq/faq.htm

According to this page, 26 is the age limit for graduates. I think a degree will only enhance your chances if it is in the same field as which you are applying to work in eg Aeronautical engineering or a science field for pilots.
In all honesty, i cant see the Airforce spending thousands of rands of their tight budget to train a pilot who actually want to work in a law field. I think you will have to make a choice. If you want to apply for pilots training, you must be willing to spend the next couple of years flying for the airforce, otherwise its a waste of time and money. Just my 2 cents worth, im not an expert.

PostPosted: 12 May 2016, 10:32 

Thanks for your input Ferdie , I really appreciate it :smt023 .

My first priority was to always fly , so my decision wasn't going to be hard to make, I was really just interested to see if I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Thanks again 8)