The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Navigator Selections
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 20:44 

Hi All

I recently sent in my application for navigator, I meet all the minimum requirements but I would like to know if the selection of navigators differ from those of pilots.

Do they also do the VTS and all the medicals etc.

Thank you for the trouble, hope all enjoyed the Armed Forces Day!

Post subject: Re: Navigator Selections
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 01:39 

SilverFalconOne wrote:
Hi All

I recently sent in my application for navigator, I meet all the minimum requirements but I would like to know if the selection of navigators differ from those of pilots.

Do they also do the VTS and all the medicals etc.

Thank you for the trouble, hope all enjoyed the Armed Forces Day!

I thought one applied for both pilot and navigator at the same time i.e the box you have to tick is marked "pilot/navigator"?

Edit: -Ok I saw that there are now two separate boxes. So maybe things have changed a bit, and therefore no need for VTS(which is assume is psychomotr test?) in the navigator selection. But rather phone ask them what the difference is.

From 3 years back the selection was exactly the same except for the medicals, in that pilot medicals are class 1 and navigator you could qualify with a class 2(class 2 is easier to pass). However if you dont qualify for the class 1 medical as a navigator you are not allowed to be a navigator on the Gripen.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 19:54 

Thanks for reply Edz

I called them today and made sure that I spoke to at least 3 people, they did not even know that there were separate boxes to tick for the pilot and navigator. They also did not know about the selection process and wanted me to explain to them what the VTS was.

So if anybody has a good reliable source it would really be appreciated.

Greetings

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 21:20 

Well if nothing changed from three years ago then the selection is exactly the same(except for medicals), so why dont you apply for pilot as well? If you dont make the strict class 1 pilot medical they will ask you (or you can tell them)if you want to do the class 2 medical then and there(chances are high that you will pass the class 2), and then you are in for navigator training.

I'm going to apply as well this year(my last chance) so I might see you there :smt023

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:43 

This may be a stupid question, but I need to go through to give in my application form because they have misplaced my form. I am not familiar with Pretoria, can anyone please give me an address as to where I should drop my application.
I keep calling but get a different address every time.
I am desperate.

Thank you
Greetings

I found this address : cnr Visagie and Paul Kruger

Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 14:38 

Here are some facts about the topic. Hope it helps:

Navigators and Pilots used to have the same selection battery but this will change soon-only IF there is a need to separate the two job profiles.

Both profiles (for Pilots as well as Navigators) are being re-evaluated by both the SAAF and MPI.

This evaluation is done through a well-structured scientific process and takes time.

The VTS (Vienna, Psychomotor) will still be part of the Navigator selection battery.

Some notes on the VTS (Vienna/psychomotor):

It is not possible to “fail” or “pass” a psychological test! It is just not how psychometric tests work. If you want to know how they work, go and study psychology.

Do NOT listen to "stories" and "advice" on how to "pass" the VTS/Vienna.

This advice is mostly well-meant but we have seen that it does more harm than good as candidates concentrate more on the stories and advice and they often do not focus on the job that is required of them.

If you “train” on a VTS unit (which is illegal), you can in fact condition yourself to respond to the test in an ineffective manner! On the interpretation form after the test, ineffective response patterns are actually emphasised (i.e. not good).

A real psychologist will not allow a client to do harm to themselves in this manner by letting them “practise” on the system. It was not what the test was designed to do in the first place.

You cannot buy the VTS even if you have the money to do so. The distributors of the test in South Africa (Dover Systems and JVR) are prohibited by law to sell a psychological test to a non-registered person. Proof of registration with the HPCSA is required before the test may be sold.

The VTS is a registered psychometric test. Only psychologists registered with the Health Professions Council of SA (HPCSA) are allowed to buy, use and interpret psychometric test results. If someone lets you "train" on a VTS system he/she is breaking the law.

If you break the law (or are an accomplice) you will not become a SAAF pilot.

If a “psychologist” lets you "train" on the VTS, he/she is probably not a real psychologist and if he/she is identified, legal action will definitely be taken against them for rendering medical services to the public as an unregistered individual. - If the person is registered with the HPCSA he/she will definitely lose their registration as a psychologist (at least).

What CAN you do to prepare?

Don’t let people make you anxious by listening to their experiences with the VTS. Let the mistakes you make (if any) be your own mistakes and not theirs. We have seen many applicants trying to “apply a system” or “to have a strategy” but by default they are not focussing on the correct things and it is almost always a recipe for disaster.

Forget about what you have heard and about all your preconceptions about the VTS and: Listen attentively to the instructions and follow the instructions.

Do not expect too much from the test. No, that is not a mistake: Do not expect too much from the test. It is in fact a very simple and straightforward test and definitely NOT the terror of all terrors that might befall you as so many have claimed before.

Just try your best and perform as well as you can. Remember you have a chance of a lifetime when you go through to the VTS testing phase. Don't mess it up by trying to "beat the system”. You are dealing with professionals in human behaviour. They have been doing this for many years and they know what to look for.

Once you start with the test, only two things must be on your mind:
CONCENTRATE and FOCUS.

The test administrators will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and relaxed and they will make sure that you clearly understand all the instructions before you start. There are plenty of practise phases that is part of the system where you can get a feel for the test and ask questions when you don’t understand.

This is why you don’t need to have had exposure to computer games and technology as is suggested by some. This is completely different to ANYTHING you have seen before and you only need to follow instructions, concentrate and focus.

Don’t get discouraged when YOU think that things are not going well for you – KEEP ON GOING UNTIL THE TEST IS FINISHED! Not even the test administrators know how things went until they have studied the results afterwards. It is impossible to determine how people performed by just watching them do a test – it’s kind of silly to assume that!

Hope this helped a bit. Just be yourself, do your best and see where the road takes you.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2015, 15:37 
Site Admin

Wonderful post Ijani. =D>

Some excellent commentary and recommendations, many thanks. :smt023